Politics

Christmas Tree

Was just hoping for some decent weather without leaving the UK tbh (okay technically isn't UK but not a nasty covid infested foreign place). My uncle worked for BA and could get free flights to anywhere in the world for his holidays. He went to the same hotel in Jersey for over 30 consecutive years, same room as well apparently. He was pretty boring tbf. 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Renton said:

I booked my summer holidays in Jersey last week after deciding Italy was too risky. Am I going to die in a war? 

Bring Deano with you- he’ll be able to talk potatoes with the natives and get you the local gossip. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Renton said:

Was just hoping for some decent weather without leaving the UK tbh (okay technically isn't UK but not a nasty covid infested foreign place). My uncle worked for BA and could get free flights to anywhere in the world for his holidays. He went to the same hotel in Jersey for over 30 consecutive years, same room as well apparently. He was pretty boring tbf. 

Was it a youth hostel called Haut de la Garenne

• Haha 1

I guess the silver lining there is it might provide Labour with some food for thought about their current approach. Hartlepool is exactly the sort of place their pro-Brexit, flag waving nonsense should have appealed to.

Ship has sailed IMO, should stick to what their membership believes in, not what worked 25 years ago.

It's quite a day when I find myself agreeing with anything Richard Burgon has to say but he's not wrong here. The first thing Starmer needs to do is unite the Labour party. Not by taking on the Corbyn manifesto wholesale but by cherrypicking the bits that the public liked and putting them to the electorate in a sensible way. Yesterday's elections don't yet appear to be disastrous but they're obviously not good.

When the Tory government has spent the past year supporting livelihoods up and down the country and are riding the crest of a successful vaccine rollout then they have an inbuilt advantage but Labour have to seriously look at how they're appealing to ordinary voters and getting their message across.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Alex said:

Fishing pretty much sums Brexit up. We attached a ridiculous amount of significance to it, overriding far more important industries, only to capitulate over it anyway 

"At present fishing contributes around £1.4 billion to the economy"

"The value of the entertainment and media market in the United Kingdom (UK) has been increasing since 2013, reaching over 62.8 billion British pounds in 2017. By 2023, the UK's entertainment and media market worth is projected to reach 80.5 billion British pounds"

16 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

And Bergerac. :good:

:lol:

Ooh, I wonder if this episode will involve Bergerac having a romantic liaison with a posh bird before helping Charlie Hungerford get out of bother over some shady deal 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It's quite a day when I find myself agreeing with anything Richard Burgon has to say but he's not wrong here. The first thing Starmer needs to do is unite the Labour party. Not by taking on the Corbyn manifesto wholesale but by cherrypicking the bits that the public liked and putting them to the electorate in a sensible way. Yesterday's elections don't yet appear to be disastrous but they're obviously not good.

When the Tory government has spent the past year supporting livelihoods up and down the country and are riding the crest of a successful vaccine rollout then they have an inbuilt advantage but Labour have to seriously look at how they're appealing to ordinary voters and getting their message across.

I think your underplaying the severity of Labour's predicament. It feels like the party and their supporter base are irreconcilably split to me. It's really hard to see how they can form a modal majority by trying to bring together the disparate groups, because they are dametrically opposed - you give to one and you take from the other. I kind of agree with Rayvin and they should abandon the red wall and target the so called metropolitan elite who will increase whilst shire tories and old Labour will naturally die out. But really the biggest problem is the FPTP electoral system. Whilst were stuck with this we are stuck with the tories for at least a decade. Labour need to embrace the PR cause and set up cross-party strategic voting to get in maybe? And then follow through. I can't see it happening like. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think your underplaying the severity of Labour's predicament. It feels like the party and their supporter base are irreconcilably split to me. It's really hard to see how they can form a modal majority by trying to bring together the disparate groups, because they are dametrically opposed - you give to one and you take from the other. I kind of agree with Rayvin and they should abandon the red wall and target the so called metropolitan elite who will increase whilst shire tories and old Labour will naturally die out. But really the biggest problem is the FPTP electoral system. Whilst were stuck with this we are stuck with the tories for at least a decade. Labour need to embrace the PR cause and set up cross-party strategic voting to get in maybe? And then follow through. I can't see it happening like. 

What did I tell you yesterday? Positive vibes only please.

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

This is absolutely how I see it with the slender caveat that this is just one byelection, quite soon after the events of the last election in the overall scheme of things, and against the backdrop of the vaccine rollout. It's not what I would consider to be a totally fair test, in the same way that I didn't think the Brexit era was a particularly fair test for the Corbyn program.

Labour won't get back into power without the red wall either, IMO. Not without some kind of wide ranging and serious electoral pact with a focus on PR, that again, they would need to rope Farage into. Wait for some kind of crisis with the Tories, use it as an excuse to band together across the spectrum, bring in PR. That has to be the sole focus for Labour now, they have no other options left, the above caveat notwithstanding.

If people honestly believe they're voting for change by voting for the party that's been in power for the last ten years, what can you do, really?

• Like 1