Politics

Christmas Tree

Even if it was (it wasn’t) the obvious conflict of interest means he shouldn’t be the one making that call. 

This is the photo from my cousin’s house the other night. She lives in Beer Sheba. Those are rockets, not fireworks. Meanwhile my 17 year old second cousin (basically still a child) has just been sent to Gaza ahead of the threatened ground invasion. Refusal to fight would mean prison. Absolute desperation from Netanyahu to cling to power. What a cunt of a man

image.thumb.png.ba25351dffd02a52a9f583a195b96b62.png

• Jaysus... 1

Awful stuff. There was an interview on the Beeb last night from a man whose block of flats had been hit by a Hamas rocket, killing a person I think. Whilst you could imagine his fear and exasperation, he advocated complete genocide of the people of Gaza as the solution Netanyahu should implement, saying it was the final solution to the problem. Words fail, I hope somehow peace can prevail but it doesn't seem likely. 

• Sad 1

What the fuck is going on in Israel at the moment - I've been trying to avoid getting caught up in looking at it but I keep seeing videos doing the rounds on reddit of Palestinians being shot, lynched, beaten, thrown out of their homes, etc. I watched this video through, of this Irish MP calling them out too:

It feels like it's suddenly gone up a level or two in the chaos and destruction stakes.

59 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

image.png.6d9300db5001741dac3c9322304c58d2.pngInsane photo of Hamas rockets fired from Gaza being intercepted by Israel’s iron dome defence system 

Horrible when you see the civilians watching the “fireworks” only for a rocket to slip through the net :( 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Are those the actual words he used? 

If so, I’m actually speechless

No, I'm paraphrasing what he said and don't want to make it sound worse than it is, but he wanted Gaza "raised to the ground once and for all" or words to that effect. I can sympathise a bit because someone in his block had just been killed, but the Palestine causalities are a magnitude worse.  Israel's behaviour has always struck me as astonishing considering their history. Just shows as a species we learn nothing. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Renton said:

No, I'm paraphrasing what he said and don't want to make it sound worse than it is, but he wanted Gaza "raised to the ground once and for all" or words to that effect. I can sympathise a bit because someone in his block had just been killed, but the Palestine causalities are a magnitude worse.  Israel's behaviour has always struck me as astonishing considering their history. Just shows as a species we learn nothing. 

You have to think at this point that either Israel is going to do exactly what this guys wants them to, or they're going to have to take a great many steps backwards in terms of how they're dealing with the issue. I mean this is already apartheid and it doesn't need to go much further for it to be genocide/ethnic cleansing.

this not a military conflict so much as a political one. my cousin reckons netanyahu, who has failed to win four general elections in a row and is unable to form a government, is using the situation to pull off a fascist, racist coup. it's a desperate attempt to cling to power, to reinforce his image as the strongman leader, tough on security. he doesn't give a shit about the innocent civilian casualties on both sides. he no longer needs votes, just hordes of incited, undemocratic, hate-filled jewish fascists and disenchanted, frustrated and dispossessed palestinians, who have had their fill of being treated like shit by Israel and their own leadership. It’s not as simple as that, of course, but that’s the gist. the violence in Israel is unbelievable, on every level. this has to be a turning point, or there is no future for this country.

• Like 3

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

this not a military conflict so much as a political one. my cousin reckons netanyahu, who has failed to win four general elections in a row and is unable to form a government, is using the situation to pull off a fascist, racist coup. it's a desperate attempt to cling to power, to reinforce his image as the strongman leader, tough on security. he doesn't give a shit about the innocent civilian casualties on both sides. he no longer needs votes, just hordes of incited, undemocratic, hate-filled jewish fascists and disenchanted, frustrated and dispossessed palestinians, who have had their fill of being treated like shit by Israel and their own leadership. It’s not as simple as that, of course, but that’s the gist. the violence in Israel is unbelievable, on every level. this has to be a turning point, or there is no future for this country.

Grim. Makes sense though, does feel like it's suddenly got much worse rather inexplicably.

On 14/05/2021 at 14:25, Rayvin said:

Grim. Makes sense though, does feel like it's suddenly got much worse rather inexplicably.

Here is an illuminating op-ed from the NYT which explains the situation better than I managed to the other day and why Hamas and Netanyahu need each other. It’s a political play from both sides - absolutely sickening   

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/16/opinion/israel-netanyahu-hamas.html

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You just know this is the happiest she's ever been in her life.

E10dltRXoAEMek4?format=png&name=small

She was probably sad though because she wasn’t allowed to shoot the suspects on the spot.

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Why is Priti Patel joining the police on arresting people? That doesn't feel like it should be a thing.

we all need our hobbies

It's the arrogance of it that gets me - why does she feel entitled to watch this man get arrested? To stand in his yard? To make a PR stunt out of his moment of humiliation?

She's a fucking bitch.

• Like 1