Politics

Christmas Tree

33 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

The Taliban really made their name during the Afghan civil ware when it was supported with AMerican money to impose control over the region and allow America access to the oil in the Caspian sea via a pipeline through Afghanistan with security for the area guaranteed by the Taliban.

Sure, but in 2001 after 9/11 it was the predominant international opinion that a military intervention was unavoidable. It was a huge discussion here as even a lit of former pacifists like members if the Green Party were in support of it. 

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

Sure, but in 2001 after 9/11 it was the predominant international opinion that a military intervention was unavoidable. It was a huge discussion here as even a lit of former pacifists like members if the Green Party were in support of it. 

I dispute this view, international public opinion outside of the USA has shown to be consistently against the military action in Afghanistan.

12 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I dispute this view, international public opinion outside of the USA has shown to be consistently against the military action in Afghanistan.

You dispute that Germany had a secretary of state and leader of the Green Party (Joschka Fischer) who was instrumental in the German Army joining other forces to topple the Taliban regime, something that seemed unthinkable in post-war Germany befire?

5 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

You dispute that Germany had a secretary of state and leader of the Green Party (Joschka Fischer) who was instrumental in the German Army joining other forces to topple the Taliban regime, something that seemed unthinkable in post-war Germany befire?

No I dispute that support for the invasion was the predominant international opinion.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

No I dispute that support for the invasion was the predominant international opinion.

I think that has to be balanced against the relief, after 9/11, that the US went the boots on the ground route instead of lobbing nukes around, which a large number of yanks were quite supportive of, and some positively shouting for.

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Do you mean among the public or politicians? ….  not sure there was massive support among punters per se, but most people accepted that taking out Bin Laden was as inevitable as it was necessary. Think it’s bizarre to claim otherwise. What were the options? 

It was a long time ago, I'm not sure I remember what the public support was like. However, you can't underestimate the shock 9/11 caused and how "something" had to be done. Iirc I was pragmatic and against it on cost effectiveness grounds, every missile cost a million quid and the chances of killing a taliban soldier very low. 

But when I think back as a teenager I remember the utterly catastrophic soviet campaign in the country. Outside of Kabul there was never any chance of this working. 

Edited by Renton

I see the US have torched 5 innocent kids with a missile to take out 1 terrorist. Raab was interviewed about it earlier today and asked if the West had a guilty conscience (or words to that effect). He replied that it's the terrorist who should feel guilty for standing next to innocent people.

We've learned fuck all. Radicalising a new generation of jihadi's 48 hours after ending a 20 year war to fight the last lot  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rayvin said:

5 innocent kids.. seriously? That's fucking tragic.

And par for the course in places like Iraq, Palestine and Afghanistan. In conflicts like this the innocent greatly outnumber the guilty when it comes to suffering and death. 

• Like 1

Gove is a horrible, lying, shit-weasel cunt but my honest  reaction to that vid of him dancing was him having a bit of fun after escaping that monstrously vie piece of shit he was married to shouldn't be begrudged. 

Just that one thing, obviously.