Politics

Christmas Tree

Starmer was the one getting pelters for proposing a “people’s vote” on Brexit wasn’t he?

Which people retrospectively attributed to Labour losing the election so spectacularly.

I like your passion. But people rarely make the right decisions when they're angry.

People in this country need to be battered over the head with the truth until it finally sinks the fuck in 

It's my belief this is already happening and will be obvious by next GE. 

Edit: by truth, I don't mean anything a politician says. I mean the fact their quality of life has massively deteriorated. 

Edited by Renton

Maybe so, but I'm not ready to let go of my anger on this yet - and probably won't until the reality of Brexit is properly reckoned with at a national level. And I hope you're right about the truth. It would change the picture for me if it turned out to be the case.

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Starmer was the one getting pelters for proposing a “people’s vote” on Brexit wasn’t he?

Which people retrospectively attributed to Labour losing the election so spectacularly.

I liked Starmer. I voted for him at the leadership election chiefly because of his pro EU views. And I understand why he feels he needs to park the Brexit question - I think he's wrong, but I understand how he's gotten to where he has. He's not taking me with him on that particular trip though.

We'll see in the next GE I suppose.

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I liked Starmer. I voted for him at the leadership election chiefly because of his pro EU views. And I understand why he feels he needs to park the Brexit question - I think he's wrong, but I understand how he's gotten to where he has. He's not taking me with him on that particular trip though.

We'll see in the next GE I suppose.

It is still early days though Rayvin. I fully understand that Starmer wants to sit back, be quiet, and just let the tories have enough rope to hang themselves. It's a relatively risk averse strategy, frustrating as it may be. 

Fair enough. I get the feeling you want something much more revolutionary. Thing about revolutions, and in a way we have had one in the last 5 years, is you end up with popularist leaders, which are not good news. I'm happy to settle for competence andno more corruption. Even that is a long shot. 

• Like 1

i think the country needs a good slice of shit, which is fortunate as it's in the post. a few years chowing down on fuel shortages, blackouts and empty supermarket shelves is exactly what the morons who voted for it deserve. hey dickheads, you voted to be poorer, now suck it up and shut up. we can talk again at the next GE if you see the error of your ways  

• Like 1

Trouble is the people getting shafted didn't always vote for them, I don't know the rate of the disabled who vote conservative but after experiencing how they compassionately handle that group I'd be amazed if any do unless they're related to a minted family. Other hard done by groups with any memory at all surely will either abstain through apathy or absolutely not vote tory again?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Trouble is the people getting shafted didn't always vote for them, I don't know the rate of the disabled who vote conservative but after experiencing how they compassionately handle that group I'd be amazed if any do unless they're related to a minted family. Other hard done by groups with any memory at all surely will either abstain through apathy or absolutely not vote tory again?

You're completely right and that weighs heavily on me whenever I get worked up about this. 

• Like 1

I’m coming to an age now where I would be expected to start voting Tory. I have a good job, nice house and I’m pushing 40. I still find myself outraged at the majority of their policies. 

What’s blowing my mind is young lads, working trades on sites I go to who think “Boris” is a “legend” with no irony.

If you are expecting the young to save us, you might be waiting a while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Isegrim said:

Class. The fact that a big chunk of people voted leave over a misconstrued idea that foreigners would be booted out of the country, only for their vote to result in visa rules being relaxed to get more foreign lorry drivers into the country is glorious! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, strawb said:

I’m coming to an age now where I would be expected to start voting Tory. I have a good job, nice house and I’m pushing 40. I still find myself outraged at the majority of their policies. 

What’s blowing my mind is young lads, working trades on sites I go to who think “Boris” is a “legend” with no irony.

Aye, the idea that young people are all some

nebulous force that will all vote to the left in record numbers in the future is a seriously blinkered one. Spend any sort of time in warehouse or manual labour environments and you’ll find out that most of them are still racist as fuck, thick as fuck or simply don’t even have any awareness of what’s going on beyond hating all immigrants. If that lot do vote, you can bet your last fiver it’ll be to some party on the right.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, strawb said:

I think what disappointments me most is that people like him. I can’t get my head around it 

• Like 1

While the latest opinion polls still see the tories in the lead we’re now into hung parliament territory. That’s before the fuel debacle. I’m not exactly counting my chickens but I can’t see things getting much better for the government any time soon. A chink of light perhaps