Politics

Christmas Tree

I can't stand that cunt. It's mad as well cos they have this thing where "deploy Boris" is some sort of code for just let him go out there and wow and charm people. Who the fuck is finding this dickhead anything other than unbearable and more to the point, totally incompetent. Can they not see through the act? It's so weird. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Renton said:

Forget the fuel crisis. Winter is coming.

This Mayan 2012 apocalypse prediction......can we allow for a few years differential due to ancient calendars being out a bit?

What could the government have done about this one? Seems to be a global issue, and I appreciate we need to judge them by their response, but have they actually exacerbated it?

The sooner we get onto renewables, the better, frankly.

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

What could the government have done about this one? Seems to be a global issue, and I appreciate we need to judge them by their response, but have they actually exacerbated it?

The sooner we get onto renewables, the better, frankly.

We've no storage capacity, in contrast to most of Europe. And don't listen to the idiot Johnson wanting to switch to renewables by some ridiculously optimistic date. I honestly don't know how people don't understand renewables can only ever be part of the solution as they are all intermittent  The more we use renewables, the less resilience we have. Get a day without wind and your freezer will defrost. We need to generate base load. Nuclear would be best but we have massively fuckwd that up. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Renton said:

We've no storage capacity, in contrast to most of Europe. And don't listen to the idiot Johnson wanting to switch to renewables by some ridiculously optimistic date. I honestly don't know how people don't understand renewables can only ever be part of the solution as they are all intermittent  The more we use renewables, the less resilience we have. Get a day without wind and your freezer will defrost. We need to generate base load. Nuclear would be best but we have massively fuckwd that up. 

Or find a way to store the energy created by renewables and not used, also if you include tidal power that never runs out. Or hydro electricity or the new hydrogen plant powered by renewable energy planned in Glasgow 

16 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Or find a way to store the energy created by renewables and not used, also if you include tidal power that never runs out. Or hydro electricity or the new hydrogen plant powered by renewable energy planned in Glasgow 

Storing electricity from renewables in the quantities needed to power homes and industries is a bit of a challenge. I suppose we rape the planet a bit more to manufacture huge, polluting batteries with a limited shelf life. Tidal power, I've not seen any example of that working large scale in practice. Hydroelectric in England, where 90% of the population lives? Not likely.  Can't comment on the hydrogen plant but doesn't it normally require energy to generate hydrogen? I'm sure its not straight forward or easily scaleable in any case.

Clearly energy generation is a massive complex problem that's not going to be solely solved through renewables. It's a travesty we let our nuclear industry decline to the extent we need to rely on French and Chinese expertise now imoq. And those interconnectors with France are based on nuclear too. This is why I dislike Green Peace so much. Purely driven by dogma rather than pragmatism. 

Edited by Renton

Anybody listening to this drivel coming out of Johnson's gob? Predictable shit. But labour, stoke culture war, straw man, lies, obfuscation.

It'll all catch up on him though. It's in the post this winter, guaranteed.

• Like 2

But he's correct. 

Johnson has promised to increase the minimum wage - bullshit no doubt but completely skewers Starmer's no to £15.

Starmer offered nothing but "crushing the left" and he gained nothing from it poll wise. 

1 minute ago, NJS said:

But he's correct. 

Johnson has promised to increase the minimum wage - bullshit no doubt but completely skewers Starmer's no to £15.

Starmer offered nothing but "crushing the left" and he gained nothing from it poll wise. 

Aye right, we have the PM blatantly telling lie after lie in his speech, gaslighting the public, and Owen Jones's first instinct is to attack Starmer? The £15 an hour pledge is demonstrably insane and in actual fact, Starmer's speech was very well received outside of the "left" you describe and obviously subscribe to. Jones is a little scrote. 

You and I know Johnson's full of shit but thick cunts like his style and don't know or care that he's lying. 

One of Starmer's 10 pledges was to abolish UC - in all his responses to the cut or at conference did he use that to actually present something different? No fucking chance as we all know now he lied through his teeth to get elected. 

Labour under every leader ever make the same mistake by not realising the tories campaign every single day - not this "we have plenty of time until the next GE" bullshit. 

22 minutes ago, NJS said:

You and I know Johnson's full of shit but thick cunts like his style and don't know or care that he's lying. 

One of Starmer's 10 pledges was to abolish UC - in all his responses to the cut or at conference did he use that to actually present something different? No fucking chance as we all know now he lied through his teeth to get elected. 

Labour under every leader ever make the same mistake by not realising the tories campaign every single day - not this "we have plenty of time until the next GE" bullshit. 

I actually think the tories being constantly in campaign mode is something of a new phenomenon. It's a popularist's trope, and Johnson is the ultimate popularist. And I see no reason for the Labour party to make any detailed policy announcements at this stage in opposition, it's simply ammunition to the tories or they will steal the ideas. But like Johnson's speech, this is a diversion from the matter at hand. The question is, why is Jones's first instinct to attack Starmer? Starmer is a million times the man Johnson is, but in all honesty its obvious Jones would prefer Johnson as PM to him, so he can continue sniping and whining from the side lines.  

3 hours ago, Renton said:

I actually think the tories being constantly in campaign mode is something of a new phenomenon. It's a popularist's trope, and Johnson is the ultimate popularist. And I see no reason for the Labour party to make any detailed policy announcements at this stage in opposition, it's simply ammunition to the tories or they will steal the ideas. But like Johnson's speech, this is a diversion from the matter at hand. The question is, why is Jones's first instinct to attack Starmer? Starmer is a million times the man Johnson is, but in all honesty its obvious Jones would prefer Johnson as PM to him, so he can continue sniping and whining from the side lines.  

I think this is a bit unfair on Jones, and I have next to no time for him. Jones is one of the most high profile/well platformed people that the Labour left has, and will see it as his duty given his beliefs to convey that particular argument. I would imagine that when it actually matters, pre-GE, he will soften on Starmer considerably. There is no such thing as an action free from consequence, and Starmer choosing to abandon (I think all?) pledges that had the left of the party rally behind him in the first place is something that we have to reasonably expect consequences would be attached to. If he didn't see that coming, he's not fit for his post. I suspect he rather did see it coming though, and was even gambling that it would poll well given that it looks like he's "beating the left". The sad truth though, is that his party just looks like a complete shambles. IMO that's completely on him at this stage. He's a politician, he was more than capable of navigating this without causing a clusterfuck if he wanted to - he just didn't want to.

For all you can claim the left should rally behind them, he has in fact been stamping on their collective faces for the past few weeks. If they let that go without comment, then IMO they'll probably just go home and stop bothering with Labour altogether - and while you might cheer that, I suspect when volunteers are needed around election time, the party will rue their loss. Unless people like yourself are going to go out in their place - which is basically what will need to happen if this schism doesn't resolve.

Jones is well within his rights to point out the stupidity of Starmer's play here. And I don't think for a second he would prefer Johnson as PM.