Politics

Christmas Tree

16 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Doesn't remotely surprise me, unfortunately. I know there have always been crackpots around but it's the enabling and sense of entitlement that feel like they've changed hugely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

That’s two MPs murdered in the last five years. What are the political parties going to do to cool things down? Fuck all, that’s what.

4 attacks in  22 years, 3 deaths including the right hand man of the MP for Cheltenham who protected his boss in 2000. Stephen Timms nearly died too when someone attacked him with a samurai sword. 

If this was the US  we wouldn’t be surprised and we don’t seem that surprised this afternoon tbh, but that record is horrific. 

I was familiar with him, seemed a decent fellah and lots of his colleagues say he was a really good laugh regardless of what party they’re from….

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I was familiar with him, seemed a decent fellah and lots of his colleagues say he was a really good laugh regardless of what party they’re from….

Hated the gays, anti-female choice, anti-immigration and pro-cutting benefits. I wouldn’t beatify him just yet.

Certain forces within the political theatre have pushed and thrived upon divisive rhetoric in order to advance their agenda, and this is frankly what the outcome is. Same when it was Jo Cox.

It'll keep happening until there is healing - but even as I'm typing this, I'm struggling to imagine how I can forgive for my part, what has been done. I mean I won't kill anyone but like, this is where we've come to and I'm really struggling to see the way back. Amess sounds like an entirely innocent victim in this, same as Cox was, but the political entities are literally creating the circumstances for this to happen. It's on them to fix it. Urgently, I might add.

• Like 1

Johnson won't condemn threats on journalists and all but encourages online threats against "activist lawyers". None of which helps when you've got genuine fucking fruitloops out in the community, radicalised most recently by covid. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Hated the gays, anti-female choice, anti-immigration and pro-cutting benefits. I wouldn’t beatify him just yet.

How he was still an MP after that Brasseye appearance is beyond me like. What was that, 20 odd years ago?

Still an awful thing to happen, regardless of any abhorrent views he may have had.

5 hours ago, ewerk said:

Aye I just had a look through his voting record. Absolute cunt on just about every issue across his entire time in parliament.

Shame he’s been murdered obviously, but not because of anything positive he’s done for this country. 

Looks like its being treated as an act of islamic terrorism? Will just further fuel the hate if so. It's obviously crass to blame politicians individually or collectively when tragedies like this happen, but politicians are very much  to blame for many of the divisions we see in society, none more so than the prime minister. The country is fucked. 

• Like 1

Was just checking through his twitter and what's particularly painful about this is all the big name Tories lined up to congratulate him on this - so you just know he's going to be totally humiliated now.

I don't actually think that's particularly professional stuff from the UN, they should have been well aware of his record in the first place. At least they corrected the mistake but they should never even have gotten started with the little troll.