Politics

Christmas Tree

Isn’t this just “political correctness gone mad”? … ie a story in the right wing press designed to outrage middle England but if it is accurate it affects a tiny minority of people?  That’s not to diminish the Trans issue in any way but the story is designed to hammer home a certain very narrow point to the easily led ie campuses are chock full of ultra liberal nutters who want to destroy society as we know it. II think back to the ex communist party members who ended up in Blair’s cabinet or in the House of Lords… when these types grow up they may bring a bit of student politics with them but it ends up being very much diluted by the realities of the real world.  My niece is at Queens Belfast and is a bit of a pronoun warrior but she remains an utterly charming lass who is still essentially “her” ..  I expect. the corporate world may well go fully down this road in the near future when her generation become directors and senior VPs etc, that will be normal for them but there are daft irrelevant “cultural” rules in most workplaces nowadays anyway. The world is changing and there is huge money to be made in the clicks of the outraged it’s basically now the business model of the MSM… 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 4

I can see why people might want to encourage it. I.e. by it being normalised then it means people who are, for example, non-binary, feel comfortable adding their pronouns to their email signature. Making people to do it though? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Isn’t this just “political correctness gone mad”? … ie a story in the right wing press designed to outrage middle England but if it is accurate it affects a tiny minority of people?  That’s not to diminish the Trans issue in any way but the story is designed to hammer home a certain very narrow point to the easily led ie campuses are chock full of ultra liberal nutters who want to destroy society as we know it. II think back to the ex communist party members who ended up in Blair’s cabinet or in the House of Lords… when these types grow up they may bring a bit of student politics with them but it ends up being very much diluted by the realities of the real world.  My niece is at Queens Belfast and is a bit of a pronoun warrior but she remains an utterly charming lass who is still essentially “her” ..  I expect. the corporate world may well go fully down this road in the near future when her generation become directors and senior VPs etc, that will be normal for them but there are daft irrelevant “cultural” rules in most workplaces nowadays anyway. The world is changing and there is huge money to be made in the clicks of the outraged it’s basically now the business model of the MSM… 

Labour should be joining the right wing press in saying how dumb it all is - but of course it won't, because that would mean it's aware of popular opinion

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I can see why people might want to encourage it. I.e. by it being normalised then it means people who are, for example, non-binary, feel comfortable adding their pronouns to their email signature. Making people to do it though? 

That's exactly why its done, I know a few places its enacted and I have mine in stuff like my twitter bio etc. It does make a genuine difference to people.

As far as making people do it goes, in the case above at least they're students who are probably over reaching trying to do something positive, its not the best way to solve the issue but I'd rather that in an attempt to make positive change than just not bother and continue on as if the world doesn't present huge problems to the trans community for very little real reason I suppose. 

30 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Labour should be joining the right wing press in saying how dumb it all is - but of course it won't, because that would mean it's aware of popular opinion

Sorry, Labour should be joining in saying how stupid people putting their pronouns out there is?

Just now, ewerk said:

How mandating it is stupid.

I was hoping that was it but I wasn't 100% how to read "it all" in Glooms post tbh.

I was genuinely asking for clarification.

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Sorry, Labour should be joining in saying how stupid people putting their pronouns out there is?

No. I didn’t say that. People are free to put whatever they want in their email. People should also be free to withhold pronoun preferences without facing accusations of discrimination. It’s so fucking dumb 

Edited by Dr Gloom

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

No. I didn’t say that. People are free to put whatever they want in their email. People should also be free to withhold preferred preferences without facing accusations of discrimination. It’s so fucking dumb 

This was more or less the line Jordan Peterson took to become the poster child of the Alt Right (wrongly, IMO). He wouldn't be forced into particular forms of speech, but would call any student by whichever pronouns they wished to be called by if asked directly.

My view on this is otherwise entirely aligned with PL's tbh.

Aye that's it - it's just about normalising it as others have said. I have to say, I'd never really given it much thought until this conversation, but I suppose I'd be ok adding it to my email signature if it helps people to feel more comfortable. Makes precious little difference to me personally.

There are some very odd ones out there mind - people have gone way off track from just he and she. 

"fae", "faer" and "faeself" are some that I've seen around - but I also saw some pushback because it technically counts as the appropriation of pagan culture :lol: 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rayvin said:

There are some very odd ones out there mind - people have gone way off track from just he and she. 

"fae", "faer" and "faeself" are some that I've seen around - but I also saw some pushback because it technically counts as the appropriation of pagan culture :lol: 

:lol: Can always count on some subsection of the world to take something valid and almost invalidate the entire thing with total fucking lunacy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1