Politics

Christmas Tree

Sounds like Patterson doing a media round yesterday basically crowing about the result is what's prompted the u turn. 

Which, on the one hand, is funny. But on the other hand, it just shows that they don't actually think they're out of order here, they're just handling an internal backlash. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

This is one thing I didn't understand. 30 days suspension, why take the political hit for that? Even if a by-election is triggered I hardly think his 20,000 majority will be overturned. 

I think it's a public display of the Cummings shopping trolley analogy. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

The 30 day suspension was so lenient as to be an absolute joke anyway. 

I still don't understand what the law on corruption actually is and why it isn't applied - he took money from a testing company that was awarded exclusive contracts - I think the vote has masked the details. 

It's the same with Hancock and Patel's PPE deals - how the fuck is there no police/CPS investigation? 

I know this stinks of naivety on my part but still. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Why would he then perform a u-turn on the proposals?

I'd guess because the whole thing is just to toxic with even the Mail on his back. Labour and the SNP refusing to participate in the new committee would show it for the Kangaroo court it was, even to some gammons. Maybe. 

Just now, Renton said:

Feel so sorry for Paterson, he's been the victim in all this, after all. Ask his wife (using a Ouija board).  

I keep hearing his wife took her own life because of him being hounded over this...is this an established fact or is it something he's suggested himself? 

• Like 1

Just now, PaddockLad said:

I keep hearing his wife took her own life because of him being hounded over this...is this an established fact or is it something he's suggested himself? 

You can ask yourself if your wife commits suicide, who is most to blame? :whistle:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

At the time he said he had no idea why she'd taken her own life. After being found guilty suddenly the investigation was the cause.

• Like 2

Worst of all was seeing people, including MPs, publicly mock and deride Rose’s death and belittle our pain. My children have therefore asked me to leave politics altogether, for my sake as well as theirs.

Fuck me, who were the MPs that mocked his wife's death? He should name them. The only thing I can see is Paterson milking it for all its worth. And still is. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Well she didn’t leave a note, she was very successful in her own right (rather than being defined by her husband) and in the inquest he stated he had no idea why she’d done it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Fuck me, who were the MPs that mocked his wife's death? He should name them. The only thing I can see is Paterson milking it for all its worth. And still is. 

Quite the turnaround from 24 hours ago. Can’t think what’s lead to this change of heart. Good to see the party of self responsibility continuing to practice what they preach as well

Guilty as charged and now absolutely shamelessly playing the victim card, dragging his dead wife into it.

If she killed herself over this, then he should look to himself for his own actions. 

If she didn't, and he's just trying it on now, then he's just not even worth bothering with. 

Either way, he can fuck right off. 

• Like 5

Starmer has issued another strongly worded statement on twitter. I have no idea what the mechanism is for capturing the public imagination on something like this, but I'm fucking sure that's not it. 

Corbyn was a fucking nightmare, but he seemed to have a social media team pumping out videos and memes that actually connected with people and got shared a shit load. Surely they could be talking to the Lead By Donkeys lot or something to actually make some political capital over stuff like this, and try to take control of the narrative. 

• Like 1

So this guy's wife killed herself during the investigation into his corruption, and he's now claiming that he's the victim in all of this because a lawful and apparently well founded examination of his illegal activities has allegedly caused her death.

That is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard. Truly and sincerely. What an absolute weapon this guy is. Clearly doesn't give a fuck about his wife's death for one thing.

• Like 5