Politics

Christmas Tree

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Starmer has issued another strongly worded statement on twitter. I have no idea what the mechanism is for capturing the public imagination on something like this, but I'm fucking sure that's not it. 

Corbyn was a fucking nightmare, but he seemed to have a social media team pumping out videos and memes that actually connected with people and got shared a shit load. Surely they could be talking to the Lead By Donkeys lot or something to actually make some political capital over stuff like this, and try to take control of the narrative. 

Yeah but they're targeting different demographics - Corbyn was popular with young and idealistic people (and will therefore have had lots of their support in his campaigning and marketing) whereas Starmer is trying to appeal to middle England. I mean I agree Twitter isn't the place for his statement particularly though - he'd be better off putting it on Facebook given the people he's trying to win over.

There's a thread floating about on twitter going through the full report, praising it for how well presented and thorough it is, and dismantling Paterson's claims. He hasn't got a leg to stand on basically. 

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah but they're targeting different demographics - Corbyn was popular with young and idealistic people (and will therefore have had lots of their support in his campaigning and marketing) whereas Starmer is trying to appeal to middle England. I mean I agree Twitter isn't the place for his statement particularly though - he'd be better off putting it on Facebook given the people he's trying to win over.

Aye I dunno what the answer is, but it's not what he's currently doing. And after this long as leader, with this little movement in the polls, you'd have hoped he'd realise it. 

Edited by Gemmill

4 hours ago, ewerk said:

At the time he said he had no idea why she'd taken her own life. After being found guilty suddenly the investigation was the cause.

Blamed it on her catching Coronavirus- no mention at all about his cuntishness being investigated as a contributory factor. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9204559/amp/MP-Owen-Paterson-believes-catching-coronavirus-affected-wifes-mental-health.html

( It’s the Daily Heil, hence the TL:DR above, don’t click on that). 

A single high profile anti-sleeze candidate would have done the Tories plenty of damage and had they won would have continued to be a reminder of Tory sleaze through the remainder of this parliament. It looks like a lost opportunity to me.

35 minutes ago, ewerk said:

A single high profile anti-sleeze candidate would have done the Tories plenty of damage and had they won would have continued to be a reminder of Tory sleaze through the remainder of this parliament. It looks like a lost opportunity to me.

Yeah, on reflection you're right. Don't know if any suitable Martin Bell's are around though. I would have preferred Labour to hand the LDs a free pass personally. 

Amazing :lol: 

Translation: "I have read it but yeah he's a crook tbh but there's loads of people in our party, including myself quite possibly, doing the same thing - so it's difficult to be critical of him really".

• Thanks 1

Btw, just a reminder this cunt claimed back expenses to heat his stables

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/10/nadhim-zahawi-admits-taxpayers-electricity-stables

Nearly £6k paid by tax payers.

And that reminds me @Gemmill, your advice to claim back expenses on working from home. I did and I think HMRC are paying me about £6.00 a month, whoopee. Meanwhile my application prompted them to review my tax status and they're now deducting an extra £100 a month from my pay. Cheers mate. 🍺🖕

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Amazing :lol: 

Translation: "I have read it but yeah he's a crook tbh but there's loads of people in our party, including myself quite possibly, doing the same thing - so it's difficult to be critical of him really".

You give him too much credit. A closer translation would be: "I didn't read it, I just did what the whip told me to do because I know which side my bread is buttered....erm oops, did I say that out loud? I mean of course I read it before making my vote"

Edited by Kid Dynamite

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Btw, just a reminder this cunt claimed back expenses to heat his stables

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/10/nadhim-zahawi-admits-taxpayers-electricity-stables

Nearly £6k paid by tax payers.

And that reminds me @Gemmill, your advice to claim back expenses on working from home. I did and I think HMRC are paying me about £6.00 a month, whoopee. Meanwhile my application prompted them to review my tax status and they're now deducting an extra £100 a month from my pay. Cheers mate. 🍺🖕

:lol:

This could not have gone any better. Thank you for making my day. 

• Haha 2

I think this sleaze thing could roll on as well. The Tories are absolutely covered in this shit - Johnson just keeps doing it. Anyone with any sense, with everything else going on, wouldn't have pulled this shit he's done with not recording his holiday from Zac Goldsmith correctly. They just would have paid for their own holiday like every fucker else does. 

He's just a big entitled cunt, and even when the heat is on, he can't help himself from thinking he can get away with shit. 

21 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

some cut-through finally? 

Most data taken before the Paterson scandal as well. I'm truly hopeful we might be at tipping point. People are waking up to Brexit being shit so that's a handicap for him now. When the cost of living increases hit, I just can't see him surviving tbh. 

Holy shit, some actual good news.

The sleaze stuff does genuinely appear to be pissing off the gammons, I'm not sure which of their principles it's violating since it looks entirely routine to me in terms of how we got here, but long may it continue.

I actually think the constant war with the EU is probably also affecting this. You'd have to be pretty fucking stupid to back Johnson while he rips up a deal he agreed to while blaming the EU for it.

I can only assume that the constant battle with the EU is because he thinks it plays well with his voters. He obviously doesn't give a fuck about NI so I can't see any other reason for him to pick a fight.

• Like 1

So Starmer's approach is working? He's clearly pulled people away from the Tories there. I'd imagine that 4% have gone Tory -> Labour and 4% have gone Labour -> Greens.

So the left continue to leave Labour but finally Starmer has managed to start capturing some of the centre. It's good news.