Politics

Christmas Tree

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

A thread on the imminent demise of the Tory party….interesting , but a few tax cuts and more targeting of immigrants as the enemy will probably bring their base to heel in 2025 I reckon :cuppa:

Excellent twitter thread there but you seem to have missed the point of it in your response. The tory party is under existential threat from itself, it has eaten itself. It has fucked off every single group of its support in one way or another whilst being utterly incompetent and corrupt. This won't be fixed by a few targeted tax cuts (which we can't afford) or more attacking immigrants (which in truth only matters to a minority of racists). We are facing a cost of living crisis unseen since the early 1980s, and only a partly manufactured war got Thatcher out of that. I dunno, it's been of no surprise to me that Johnson has destroyed his party and his country with it. It was always just a matter of time. My concern is already shifting to how we fix the mess. 

Think I read somewhere that May 2024 is the latest there could be another GE. It does give them a lot of time to turn things around but I think the Red Wall seats at least are going to switch back. Living costs etc are getting worse and Brexit hasn’t delivered anything it was meant to. Whether Johnson stays or goes he’s not the ‘charismatic’ getting Brexit done figure of 2019 and he’s never getting that back. I think the best the Tories can hope for is a hung Parliament and would anyone prop up a minority Tory government? 

Edited by Alex

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Think I read somewhere that May 2024 is the latest there could be another GE. It does give them a lot of time to turn things around but I think the Red Wall seats at least are going to switch back. Living costs etc are getting worse and Brexit hasn’t delivered anything it was meant to. Whether Johnson stays or goes he’s not the ‘charismatic’ getting Brexit done figure of 2019 and he’s never getting that back. I think the best the Tories can hope for is a hung Parliament and would anyone prop up a minority Tory government? 

This may be a pipe dream, but this would be my ideal scenario. There is a hung parliament, no party will prop up the conservatives, not even the DUP who they have also shafted. The liberals offer a coalition with the government on condition there is a referendum on PR, and this time the country goes for it. Note in this scenario the new coalition don't even need the support of the SNP, as the SNP can't really be seen to side with the minority tory party to block progressive legislation. And if we get PR their case for independence is also weakened. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

This may be a pipe dream, but this would be my ideal scenario. There is a hung parliament, no party will prop up the conservatives, not even the DUP who they have also shafted. The liberals offer a coalition with the government on condition there is a referendum on PR, and this time the country goes for it. Note in this scenario the new coalition don't even need the support of the SNP, as the SNP can't really be seen to side with the minority tory party to block progressive legislation. And if we get PR their case for independence is also weakened. 

Pretty much my thoughts after I posted that.  

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Also IMO Bozo is finished and already but in formallity no longer leader.  They cunts in the background are already working out who is going to be leader. Like a game of tiddlywinks

You mean Steve Baker’s Russian backers? 

• Haha 3

BBC licence fee to be frozen at £159 for two years, government confirms https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60027436

The fucking brass neck on these cunts, mind…

Ms Dorries said the government could "not justify extra pressure on the wallets of hardworking households".

The closest Dorries has been to any kind of culture is when she takes her knickers off. 

• Haha 3