Politics

Christmas Tree

It's funny seeing the tories and their media stooges shit themselves. Thing is, Starmer is probably the most qualified person in the country to know if he's broken the law or not. He's had days to scrutinise his own actions so must be extremely confident. OR, much less likely, he knows he's bang to rights and is fucking the tories as much as possible as a big fuck you. And some on here don't like him! ;) 

• Like 3

Aye, the media is now positively Orwellian in 2022

The Mail is not even hiding the fact it's a propaganda machine. Devastating local election results and I can barely find mention of it. Durham police forced into reinvestigating a closed case. The same force that refused to fine Dominic Cummings as it doesn't do retrospective punishments ...

• Like 1

The best argument is the "Oh noes! Starmer is trying to influence the police by threatening to do the honourable thing and resign!". Wasn't it the odious Richard Holden who influenced the police by getting them to reopen the case after it had already been concluded?  

• Like 1

I can't make my mind up what I want to happen here. There's a degree of wanting Starmer to be found to have broken Covid laws and be issued with a penalty on the grounds that we know he'll be gracious enough to follow through on the promise to fall on his sword and with it, further expose those utter crooks in Downing Street for arrogantly refusing to do likewise. 

Mostly however I want him to prove unequivocally that he didn't break to rules and this horrendous and by then, totally unwarranted witch-hunt can be put completely to bed. 

Either way, it's going to end up looking utterly shit for the Tories - either they're both guilty but Starmer is the only one decent enough to do the right thing. or Boris is going look like even more of a corrupt cunt. 

1 minute ago, Craig said:

I can't make my mind up what I want to happen here. There's a degree of wanting Starmer to be found to have broken Covid laws and be issued with a penalty on the grounds that we know he'll be gracious enough to follow through on the promise to fall on his sword and with it, further expose those utter crooks in Downing Street for arrogantly refusing to do likewise. 

The Tories will brush it off regardless and Johnson will carry on and most people will forget about it. Starmer has already made his point that he'll resign if found to have broken the rules (and it certainly looks like he didn't) so there's not much to benefit from him having to follow through.

BTW talking about the next leader, Burnham is by far the best shout. I've been seriously impressed with him ever since he stood at Anfield on the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough, completely 'got' the sense of feeling and more importantly, did something about it. 

They will of course have to parachute him into a seat but it's not like parties haven't done that before, eh Boris? 

Imagine the ex-mayor of a northern city replacing the ex-mayor of London as PM - magic B)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

so, this is real 

When was the last time she was seen in public? There is a lot of rumour that this is more than 'mobility issues' and that she is seriously unwell.

I mean, it's in the post I think. Have to admit a certain amount of trepidation about what happens when she does pass, as much as I remain a staunch republican.

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

When was the last time she was seen in public? There is a lot of rumour that this is more than 'mobility issues' and that she is seriously unwell.

I reckon the platinum jubilee will have a whiff of Weekend at Bernie's about it. 

• Haha 1

She's a monarch that will be talked about for centuries to come - up there with with the likes of Henry VIII & Victoria. In 70 years on the throne she has made precious few errors in judgement, it's remarkable. 

I am definitely not a 'staunch republican' but I am strongly in favour of the entity of the 'Royal Family' being significantly reduced. Thankfully it seems that both Charles and William are of this view as well. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of Charles's first tasks as monarch is to completely cut his brother and youngest son loose. 

• Like 3