Politics

Christmas Tree

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Looks like it would need a coalition then?

Possibly with the LDs and supply and confidence with the SNP. But I agree with you, ffs Labour, use this as a platform to get PR in. I know they won't. I don't really understand why, I never have. 

• Like 1

How do you spell windfall tax?

Was that "exceptional profits levy" I just heard from Sunak? These lot are so shameless and predictable. 

Edit, sorry, you spell it "temporary targeted energy profits levy".

Edited by Renton

37 minutes ago, Renton said:

Fair enough Meenz, politics is so dull at the moment.

This is Braverman in response to Thornberry this morning, in the commons, the birth place of democracyTM (Braverman has been leaking her legal opinions on NI to the press). 

Yop notch debating there Suella. Standard now from the conservatives. 

Yeah but they're all the same, Renton. I'm not really that into politics. I used to be, around 2017/2019 (I'm not sure which), but it's all a bit old hat now.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Yeah but they're all the same, Renton. I'm not really that into politics. I used to be, around 2017/2019 (I'm not sure which), but it's all a bit old hat now.

You might be right there Meenz. Considering that the tories have literally just anounced Labour's policy. :lol:

48 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Looks like it would need a coalition then?

It would be a good deal stronger with an electoral pact 

41 minutes ago, Renton said:

Possibly with the LDs and supply and confidence with the SNP. But I agree with you, ffs Labour, use this as a platform to get PR in. I know they won't. I don't really understand why, I never have. 

It’s the arrogance of those in the wider party who don’t think they need it and can win an election via fptp 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s the arrogance of those in the wider party who don’t think they need it and can win an election via fptp 

Who are these people in Labour who think this, seriously. You never seem to see anyone brave enough to actually come out and say it but it remains party policy.

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Who are these people in Labour who think this, seriously. You never seem to see anyone brave enough to actually come out and say it but it remains party policy.

Also, it's just inherently wrong. How can anybody who believes in democracy not support PR? Some things are bigger than the political parties themselves.

• Like 2

Is there not a degree of retaining FPTP offering an incumbent government a greater possibility of remaining in government? 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

You might be right there Meenz. Considering that the tories have literally just anounced Labour's policy. :lol:

What convenient timing eh? Almost as though it was coordinated for the day after something shite :wink:

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Seen it a bit on Twatter. There’s a fair few of them on there also still think Corbyn’s the answer too though so make of that what you will. Also, I don’t see any other explanation. Like Renton says it’s undemocratic. But as well as that history suggests FPTP usually ends up with a Tory majority. Do they occasionally want power or do they want to stop these lot from wrecking the country. Fwiw, I could see the logic of previous Tory administrations even if i rarely agreed with them. The stakes are higher than ever now though and it feels like a watershed moment. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

The CLPs are largely in favour of it. It was the unions who blocked the policy at conference.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The CLPs are largely in favour of it. It was the unions who blocked the policy at conference.

Aye, good point. I forgot about that.