Politics

Christmas Tree

8 hours ago, Alex said:

I just caught about 3 mins of Question Time, which I haven’t been able to watch for years and, fuck me. There’s barely anyone there who’s  not a white bloke and you’ve got Tom Harwood being given a platform and holding court. Slick, nasty, divide and rule, horrible shit in a young, handsome package being given a platform by the BBC in the interests of ‘balance’. 

Surprising from the BBC.  They usually are the masters of tick boxing. 

It shows he was either a shit banker, probably only tolerated due to his wife or he he doesn't really care if government money ends up in the hands of his mates. 

Given the non-pursuit of pandemic loan fraud its probably the latter - with maybe a bit of the former in the mix. 

• Like 2

Irrespective, he is principally reponsible for the UK economy. If there's any credence to this, it's gross negligence and he needs to go.

Brexit etc has really fucked building social/affordable housing. 

We used to budget about £1500 per square meter when building social housing, and that was at the top end. Most of the jobs we are getting prices back for now are more like £3000 per square meter.

Means we have to go back to homes England for more money as the viability doesn’t stack up financially, when you look at the rents we would charge for them once complete.

Homes England have no extra money, so we either build less for the same money, change the way we assess viability which is a bit of bodge or charge higher rents which is getting into the realms of not really social housing rents.

Loads of established contractors have gone bump due to cash flow issues and social housing providers are having to cut budgets left right and centre, all at a time where we are being told to build more and to meet new green standards for energy use.

It’s going to get really messy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, strawb said:

Brexit etc has really fucked building social/affordable housing. 

We used to budget about £1500 per square meter when building social housing, and that was at the top end. Most of the jobs we are getting prices back for now are more like £3000 per square meter.

Means we have to go back to homes England for more money as the viability doesn’t stack up financially, when you look at the rents we would charge for them once complete.

Homes England have no extra money, so we either build less for the same money, change the way we assess viability which is a bit of bodge or charge higher rents which is getting into the realms of not really social housing rents.

Loads of established contractors have gone bump due to cash flow issues and social housing providers are having to cut budgets left right and centre, all at a time where we are being told to build more and to meet new green standards for energy use.

It’s going to get really messy.

My sister moved into a new build last year. It looks like it was chucked up. The skirting boards and seals around the house look like they were done by a blind man.

I shudder to think how much effort goes into houses that aren't built to turn a profit...

• Like 2

My niece has recently bought her first house, with the first-time buyers scheme. It’s a new build in Morpeth and my son has built better houses with Lego. 
The internal finishing, like your sisters place, is dreadful. 
I shudder to think what problems will emerge over time. 

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

My sister moved into a new build last year. It looks like it was chucked up. The skirting boards and seals around the house look like they were done by a blind man.

I shudder to think how much effort goes into houses that aren't built to turn a profit...

I’ve worked in house building for years and I would never buy a new build, for what it’s worth.

The best new builds are built by small developers, but so are the worst ones.

I find it almost surreal this is a thing in the UK in 2022, but if you want to participate in a government survey about bringing back imperial measurements, here's the link. I'm so glad we have plenty of civil servants spare to conduct this horse shit.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/choice-on-units-of-measurement-markings-and-sales

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/11/boris-johnson-faces-rural-fury-over-post-brexit-food-strategy

Now the farmers have turned on him just before a West Country by-election. 

And this was supposed to be his big reset. The bloke gets found out every time he does anything that requires substance. 

I used to visit Cullompton in that constituency regularly when  I worked for the NHS… I have doubts whether that bunch of snide two faced Tory bastards will vote Lib Dem in sufficient numbers to overturn a 24k majority. The local Labour website doesn’t even mention the by election so I think some sort of informal deal has been done, which is encouraging 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

And this is why the country is fucked and we will likely never get a labour govt again.

People are idiots episode 435

Confused by this a bit. Tories have ramped up immigration up to 11 at the moment haven't they, backed by the usual newspaper suspects?

To echo the "people are idiots" line:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/11/poll-says-keir-starmer-worse-choice-for-pm-than-boris-johnson

Polling here (just one poll but still) showing that most people still believe Starmer is a worse choice for PM than Johnson. I do not know what is wrong with these people, genuinely. Maybe media narratives as ST suggests, but I feel like the media has been pretty hard on Johnson as well?

• Jaysus... 1

Corbyn hangover?  :cuppa:

Maybe Starmer is Kinnock…maybe Streeting is Blair, maybe Phillipson is Blair?…. maybe the combined effect of 40 years of Murdoch + Brexit = final victory for these utter fuckin ball bags ?…. 

• Like 2