Politics

Christmas Tree

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

While there is some good debate in here, it is ultimately an echo chamber. It's notable that very few discussions on here ever go down nuanced paths - the majority either agrees with you, or you're satan. Sometimes some of us are on the wrong side of that, other times we're not :D

All that youthful angst that makes it like this, IMO ;) 

I'm getting more radical as I get older. I was a massive fan of Blair at the time, still think Brown did a lot of good. For many years I have been basically on the same page as Renton, but lately I've just become more and more disillusioned and critical of certain aspects of opposition thinking

Still know the enemy though

• Like 2

Aye he's done well everywhere I've seen him. Although I would say that the questioning has been so shocking that I'm tempted to argue he's had a fairly easy job in some respects. Morgan questioning him about thunderbirds was just bizarre.

The worst thing that the Tories could have done is unleash this bloke on telly. I've just watched a compilation video of his best lines and he's an absolute inspiration. Talking eloquently about the downtrodden masses and the rich getting richer, and saying to the presenter "if we can't bargain or negotiate, then we are left to beg. I don't want working class people in this country to have to beg."

The Tories won't have reckoned with a bloke like that going on telly and striking a chord with normal people. 

He also makes mincemeat of that braying cunt Jonathan Gullis when he asks Lynch if he'd like to apologise to veterans who can't make it to Armed Forces Day to which he responds "That is the stuff that someone in Conservative HQ has come up with and you're just here reciting it. I'm not happy that we're on strike. I want to negotiate a settlement, but I can't do that with some backbencher who's reading from a script." :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I fucking hate Jonathan Gullis, like. Whoring himself for a future role in the cabinet. Represents everything that is fucking wrong with that party. What a cunt -

• Like 4

Also, Armed Forces Day is a recent addition to the flag-shagging gammon calendar rather than some long standing tradition. 

• Like 3

One of the absolute joys of watching Mick Lynch is that, by his straight, honest and no nonsense approach to these interviews, whether he intended to or not, he’s exposing so many of them as the absolute bullshitters that they are. 

They’ll be seeing him in their dreams giving it…

you-cant-handle.gif

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Aye he's done well everywhere I've seen him. Although I would say that the questioning has been so shocking that I'm tempted to argue he's had a fairly easy job in some respects. Morgan questioning him about thunderbirds was just bizarre.

Wow. I've just got round to watching that. Christ on a bike. Was hilarious seeing Morgan manoeuvre himself into a corner, get angrier and angrier, and acuse an ice cold Lynch of being wound up. What a fucking prick Morgan is. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Alex said:

Also, Armed Forces Day is a recent addition to the flag-shagging gammon calendar rather than some long standing tradition. 

It’s a cynical attempt to make up for sending hundreds of working class people to be killed or mutilated for nothing.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Renton said:

Wow. I've just got round to watching that. Christ on a bike. Was hilarious seeing Morgan manoeuvre himself into a corner, get angrier and angrier, and acuse an ice cold Lynch of being wound up. What a fucking prick Morgan is. 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Withdrawing from the Human Rights Bill so we can deport people unchallenged. These cunts are literally half way to 1939 Germany 

There is a lot to say about it that makes me very uncomfortable. It’s only a wee bit short to be a sort of an”Ermächtigungsgesetz”.

It starts with the emphasis of declaring the UK to be a parliamentary democracy. There is nothing wrong with this on the surface, in fact more or less all of European states do consider themselves as parliament democracies. It’s even literally stated in most of the codified constitutions. But it looks like there is a different aim with the British stance to highlight the supremacy of the parliament. Therefore the main focus is to undermine the rule of law and the system  of checks and balances in regards to the interpretation of the ECHR. It’s not the ECHR who has the main authority anymore but it does even weaken the position of the British supreme court.

It is a dangerous path not short of things we do see in Hungary and Poland with right wing governments undermining international but also national jurisdictions. There are still ongoing legal proceedings in Poland about the right to overrule decisions from supranational courts if they are found to collide national legislation and interests.

It is sad to see how things have turned in just the last ten years undermining everything western Europe did achieve after WW2 until the 2000s.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, NJS said:

The determination to bring that 20% fall in passenger numbers back in the face of more home working is a bit desperate mind. 

Do you think those numbers will ever be recovered? If not, should this mean we should scrap future London-centric transport infrastructure schemes (e.g. Cross Rail 2)? 

I suppose it depends on whether the economy grows to support more commuters to make up for it but I agree they should reconsider "old normal" projects including skyscrapers etc as well as transport. 

16 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

And without wishing to unleash the shut up and take it squad from yesterday, the tactic of Kier Starmer saying nothing and letting Johnson hang himself is going to look pretty stupid when the Tories ditch him 12 months before the election and bring in a fresh face

Yup, there my be a lot of "Boris" fans but polling shows a lot of people hate him as well. 

It's hard to pick a "better" option though. 

19 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

And without wishing to unleash the shut up and take it squad from yesterday, the tactic of Kier Starmer saying nothing and letting Johnson hang himself is going to look pretty stupid when the Tories ditch him 12 months before the election and bring in a fresh face

tenor.gif

and

tenor.gif