Politics

Christmas Tree

15 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

And without wishing to unleash the shut up and take it squad from yesterday, the tactic of Kier Starmer saying nothing and letting Johnson hang himself is going to look pretty stupid when the Tories ditch him 12 months before the election and bring in a fresh face

I think you've got to appreciate Lynch and Starmer are doing different jobs and have to appease different audiences. I really do think this is a matter of timing though. Regardless of who is in charge of the cunt party, for me it makes sense to wait nearer the GE before releasing policy and hopefully going all out on the attack. This is especially so considering that, tragically, by next year the country will be in a potentially catastrophic state imo and people will be much more inclined to hear a different message. I guess what I'm saying is I think you should wait until then before making your mind up. 

There is only one solution to this. Sir Kier is going to have to get on his knees and deliver the best blow job Murdoch has ever had.

Come on lad, take one for the team.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Has there been any more talk about PR since one of the unions went into it? I was sort of hoping that might stack into a concerted policy shift but I've not seen anything further on it. Maybe they're just feeling it out with the public I suppose.

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Has there been any more talk about PR since one of the unions went into it? I was sort of hoping that might stack into a concerted policy shift but I've not seen anything further on it. Maybe they're just feeling it out with the public I suppose.

I'm guessing that you would need wider acceptance than just UNISON. As you know, I share your opinion on this. I think it would take a coalition with LDs and SNP to force this. I was thinking for the SNP it might be a bit like turkeys voting for christmas, but I found this histrorical piece suggesting Sturgeon supports it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-snp-would-vote-to-introduce-proportional-representation-at-westminster-nicola-sturgeon-confirms-10223302.html

I was always under the impression that the SNP would do basically anything for another crack at independence. Giving us a final attempt to save ourselves by introducing PR before they disappear into the sunset would be an agreeable way for our relationship with Scotland to come to an end.

A coherent electoral strategy for PR and coalition would inevitably bring me back into voting for whatever made that successful. A true left/centre alliance would be worth crossing some red lines for and would probably lock out the Tories for a generation if done well. Forever if it ended with PR.

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I was always under the impression that the SNP would do basically anything for another crack at independence. Giving us a final attempt to save ourselves by introducing PR before they disappear into the sunset would be an agreeable way for our relationship with Scotland to come to an end.

A coherent electoral strategy for PR and coalition would inevitably bring me back into voting for whatever made that successful. A true left/centre alliance would be worth crossing some red lines for and would probably lock out the Tories for a generation if done well. Forever if it ended with PR.

I think PR solves the Scottish problem and would mean there was no need for independence. I think most scots main gripe is that they are not represented in Westminster and Holyrood doesn't have any fiscal power. They resent being ruled by cunts like Johnson, basically, as do I. The classic expample being that they voted against Brexit and got it anyway. Further devolution plus PR would be the perfect panacea. That's why I'm sceptical that Sturgeon would back it. Although I'm not always convinced she wants complete independence as the economic pain that will cause for a generation would be immense. 

Edited by Renton

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think PR solves the Scottish problem and would mean there was no need for independence. I think most scots main gripe is that they are not represented in Westminster and Holyrood doesn't have any fiscal power. They resent being ruled by cunts like Johnson, basically, as do I. The classic expample being that they voted against Brexit and got it anyway. Further devolution plus PR would be the perfect panacea. That's why I'm sceptical that Sturgeon would back it. Although I'm not always convinced she wants complete independence as the economic pain that will cause for a generation would be immense. 

Any economic pain is worth freedom and sovereignty mate ;) 

Maybe you're right on the PR thing, that could be an interesting development. But then if I'm voting in it, I would still vote leave for the EU.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Any economic pain is worth freedom and sovereignty mate ;) 

Maybe you're right on the PR thing, that could be an interesting development. But then if I'm voting in it, I would still vote leave for the EU.

Your still in Scotland? 

I think we know full sovereignty in a global world is fairly illusory, what's more important is representation. I'm all in favour of unions, be it the UK or the EU. I don't want the UK to break up but recognise in Scotland's case it is currently necessary because of a lack of representation and devolved power, so support it if that's the only option left. Ireland will be united at some point regardless, but that's different from independence.

Problem is being stuck inthe NE of England. As well as PR, I want complete federalisation of England. I can dream. 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Your still in Scotland? 

I think we know full sovereignty in a global world is fairly illusory, what's more important is representation. I'm all in favour of unions, be it the UK or the EU. I don't want the UK to break up but recognise in Scotland's case it is currently necessary because of a lack of representation and devolved power, so support it if that's the only option left. Ireland will be united at some point regardless, but that's different from independence.

Problem is being stuck inthe NE of England. As well as PR, I want complete federalisation of England. I can dream. 

Agreed on all of that.

And yes, but moving back to Newcastle soon, at last. As much as I would probably hop over the border again if there was an EU angle to it, I miss Newcastle and my friends there. Life is too short to be away from people you love.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Lynch v Jenrick, no fuckin contest :D

I love the gulp at 0.33 - mint.

How long until Lynch is arrested under our new state rules for , I don't know - sexual misconduct or fraud? I bet someone in government has considered assassination even.

• Like 2

British Airways staff voted to come out on strike now. So so far we have rail, barristers, and BA. Shortly teachers and NHS. i'm sure many others will be thinking about it.  Definitely got the vibes of summer/autumn of discontent. That will nullify the tory constant rhetoric of Labour's winter of discontent. 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

British Airways staff voted to come out on strike now. So so far we have rail, barristers, and BA. Shortly teachers and NHS. i'm sure many others will be thinking about it.  Definitely got the vibes of summer/autumn of discontent. That will nullify the tory constant rhetoric of Labour's winter of discontent. 

Or they'll keep describing it as Labour's summer/autumn of discontent and people will believe it.

I'm quite nervous about this tbh. If this revolt carries on all Summer, I can see Boris escalating Ukraine and causing the elephant in the room to happen. I honestly believe he'd put our 60,000 troops (or is it 50,000) to war to save his career and doom us all.

Ok, where's my weed ? :D

They'll certainly try their best to pin it on Labour. I know it's not a complete metric for all Tory voters but I checked the Mail earlier and while plenty of them (all) still hate Labour, there is genuinely no love whatsoever for Johnson and this government. Plenty calling him out as a liar, and some starting to demand a new political system given the impossibility of voting for either party.

I'm not sure how well any of their attempts to stick this at Labour's door are landing. Maybe people can understand the strike since actually, we are all suffering.

Guys, I'm as cynical and jaded as the next man but now way on Earth can the tories get away with blaming this shitfest on Labour and no way are we sending the army to Ukraine. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Renton said:

Guys, I'm as cynical and jaded as the next man but now way on Earth can the tories get away with blaming this shitfest on Labour

I mean I agree, as I just said, I don't think it's actually working. People are genuinely starting to get pretty fucked off with Johnson, even amongst his 'base'.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I mean I agree, as I just said, I don't think it's actually working. People are genuinely starting to get pretty fucked off with Johnson, even amongst his 'base'.

Yeah, I agree its not working. Was directed at Meenz and Scoobos. Hopefully all will become clear after Tiverton tonight. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

I just went looking for polls to see how Labour were doing and came across this utterly delightful spectacle:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_constsoc_20220523.html

This is what the outcome looks like based on a proper electoral pact:

Party 2019 Votes 2019 Seats Predicted
Votes
Predicted
Seats
Change
CON 44.7% 365 33% 101 −264
LAB 33.0% 203 42% 393 +190
LIB 11.8% 11 8% 71 +60
Green 2.8% 1 2% 17 +16
Reform 2.1% 0 4% 0 0
SNP 4.0% 48 4% 48 0
Plaid 0.5% 4 1% 2 −2

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I just went looking for polls to see how Labour were doing and came across this utterly delightful spectacle:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_constsoc_20220523.html

This is what the outcome looks like based on a proper electoral pact:

Party 2019 Votes 2019 Seats Predicted
Votes
Predicted
Seats
Change
CON 44.7% 365 33% 101 −264
LAB 33.0% 203 42% 393 +190
LIB 11.8% 11 8% 71 +60
Green 2.8% 1 2% 17 +16
Reform 2.1% 0 4% 0 0
SNP 4.0% 48 4% 48 0
Plaid 0.5% 4 1% 2 −2

Would be amazing, although I'd actually prefer a stronger LD to nudge forward PR. If it happened like this that would be over. We can dream. 

• Like 1