Politics

Christmas Tree

23 minutes ago, Renton said:

People have the perception lawyers are all loaded but the reality is many, in criminal law in particular, are paid less than minimum wage. 

Agree with this. People think of barristers and immediately have QCs in the head. You might as well try comparing Premier League footballers with those playing in the National League.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Renton said:

You mean directed from the government and red tops/Heil? Maybe.

The legal profession has been absolutely shafted by this government since Cameron's first days. People have the perception lawyers are all loaded but the reality is many, in criminal law in particular, are paid less than minimum wage. The 15% rise is bollocks, this is worth reading if you're interested.

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2022/06/27/the-criminal-bar-on-strike-9-things-you-need-to-know/

I was aware of the the piss poor rates on legal aid work, which, as you state, often works out at less than minimum wage. 
They’re paid £100 less per day on Legal Aid work than the average day rate of a plumber. 

Tories are the Anti-Midas, literally everything they touch turns to shit, unless it’s going in their offshore account. 

• Like 3

Does he only holler at young women like?

Anyway, thin and wedge come to mind, it's now illegal to protest outside Parliament, or anywhere else afaik, at the police's discretion. Anything coming from Patel is pretty much guaranteed to be authoritarian and bad news. 

• Like 4

What’s the problem? 
Just some regular, normal Tory Enforcement Officers getting on with the job of silencing some uppity riff-raff with too much time on his benefit-scrounging hands.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's not like the Met have anything better to do either.

So, what happens if Bray is fined, comes back and does the same thing. Is he then arrested and imprisoned? For non-violent protest? I guess they'll have to find a barrister to take his case on first, although maybe as they're on strike we can just bypass that and send him straight to Pentonville. 

• Like 2

Bray comes across as reasonable here and makes some good points. This new law hasn't got anywhere near enough attention yet as we slip into a fascist state (because that is most definitely where we are heading).

• Like 4

Not sure it's helpful to have the Defence Secretary on telly saying Putin has "small man syndrome" and is a "lunatic". 

We all know that you dickhead, but I can go on the telly and say that. I think we expect something a bit more statesman like from a bloke who has designs on being Prime Minister. 

Although maybe the weird Trumpian tory base are bang up for this shit. 

Johnnson being weird saying Putin wouldn't have invaded Ukraine if he was a woman as well. Wtaf are you blabbing on about you obese cretin? Also Truss today threatening tariffs with CHina and saying we should focus trade on trusted partners - what, like the EU you mean? A lot of this is just down to shear incompetence, they haven't got a clue what they are saying or doing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Not sure it's helpful to have the Defence Secretary on telly saying Putin has "small man syndrome" and is a "lunatic". 

We all know that you dickhead, but I can go on the telly and say that. I think we expect something a bit more statesman like from a bloke who has designs on being Prime Minister. 

Although maybe the weird Trumpian tory base are bang up for this shit. 

As long as someone else is doing the fighting 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think major constitutional reform requires a referendum for legitimacy, which is unfortunate in this case. Labour won't put this in theor manifesto so caouldn't agree to it. Which is one reason I just can't see it happening after the disastrous AV referendum, where 67% of people bvoted against reform. See also NE devolution. People are fucking idiots. Pnly hope is the absolute shit show of the last 10 years plus ypunger voters entering the mix could swing it. 

On 07/02/2022 at 19:15, Gemmill said:

Not a huge surprise these turned out to be cunts. Her own father lied about doing laps of the garden when CLEARLY they were lengths. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jun/30/family-of-captain-sir-tom-moore-face-formal-inquiry-into-charity-setup

Wrong 'uns from the start :shifty:

• Haha 2