Politics

Christmas Tree

2 minutes ago, trooper said:

Serious question. Obviously they want rid of him & he won't go, so whats the next step 

1922 committee changes the rules early next week. New vote of no confidence and he loses. Then he goes. 

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

1922 committee changes the rules early next week. New vote of no confidence and he loses. Then he goes

And if he doesn't? He's broken every other convention and tradition, why would he stop there? Once he's lost the Tories' confidence he doesn't technically lose his prime ministership, isn't that correct? Does the government have to permit a motion of no confidence in Parliament, or is that something they can block?

My question essentially is, can this fucker continue to govern as a PM without party? Is there some point at which Liz has to step in and finally tell him to fuck off, and would she do that, if it came to it? 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

1922 committee changes the rules early next week. New vote of no confidence and he loses. Then he goes. 

Are they allowed to change the rules. Just i thought he was untouchable for 12 months after he won the vote the other week. 

3 minutes ago, trooper said:

Are they allowed to change the rules. Just i thought he was untouchable for 12 months after he won the vote the other week. 

They can, aye. They've already signalled that they're going to. 

4 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

And if he doesn't? He's broken every other convention and tradition, why would he stop there? Once he's lost the Tories' confidence he doesn't technically lose his prime ministership, isn't that correct? Does the government have to permit a motion of no confidence in Parliament, or is that something they can block?

My question essentially is, can this fucker continue to govern as a PM without party? Is there some point at which Liz has to step in and finally tell him to fuck off, and would she do that, if it came to it? 

No idea. I think at that point the self preservation of the party might suddenly trump any shit Johnson was trying to pull though. 

The 1922 Committee should have changed the rules tonight. Instead they tried to treat him like an adult and presented him with this opportunity to up the ante. Now he's been emboldened by this and realised "actually I can do whatever the fuck I want, and this lot are too weak to do anything about it", who knows what he'll try next. 

All of his enablers in the right wing press clutching their pearls tonight can FUCK OFF though, I know that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

If he can’t command a majority in Parliament then the Queen can sack him and then give someone else (ie the new Tory leader) an opportunity to show that they can control the HoC rather than call an election.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

They can, aye. They've already signalled that they're going to. 

If he still refuses to go will he be evicted by the rozzers

8 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

My admittedly poor understanding of the situation is that only the monarch can get rid of the PM for definite. Might be wrong though. 

4 hours ago, Sonatine said:

I think I can pinpoint the exact moment it all went tits up for Bojo....

:lol: Who needs Gazza with chicken and some cans when you've got this maniac? 

• Haha 2

Just now, ewerk said:

If he can’t command a majority in Parliament then the Queen can sack him and then give someone else (ie the new Tory leader) an opportunity to show that they can control the HoC rather than call an election.

It's shit watching this bullshit unfold, and it's unquestionably bad for the country, but the fact remains that thr longer he drags the party through the shit, the better for all of us that want to see them lose the next election. 

Let's see how pathetic his enablers are over the next week or so. Let them damage their reputations too. Still no resignations from a bunch of the cabinet. Absolutely dismal, dismal people. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trooper said:

Well, I'm not sure if you aware, if you are, sorry! But the 1922 committee is just the Tory party's own backbench led group - they don't actually hold any power over Parliament, only the Conservative parties own rules.

There are plenty of ways he can go. If his party votes him out, or makes it clear they want him out - he will be ejected, its not the man you vote in - that's what they'd like you to believe when they personalise these battles, but he just represents the party voted in via majority MPs.

It'll probably be done as a letter from the Speaker to the Queen asking for intervention, rather than any other mechanism (I'm no expert, but the queen will act if formally asked to - I don't think they will without that formal request though).

Well, that's my understanding anyway!!

Edited by scoobos

This is why you need a proper codified constitution. We’ve relied on people behaving in a  reasonable manner and adherence to unwritten conventions. Those days are gone. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, trooper said:

Cheers for the explanations lads. Just i know bugger all about politics. 

The way this last year has gone, I don't think much of what I thought I knew is right anyway!

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

This is why you need a proper codified constitution. We’ve relied on people behaving in a  reasonable manner and adherence to unwritten conventions. Those days are gone. 

Yep, but nobody banked on a fucking psychopath being given the keys to no.10. 

If anyone is unaware of Hare 's checklist for psychopathy, look it up. And then you'll realise Johnson meets every single criteria.

• Like 5