Politics

Christmas Tree

3 hours ago, Renton said:

Truss not making much of a bump according to this and I can't see people liking her any more the more they know of her. Today she is planning to scrap the governmants anti-obesity strategy, which cause the NHS even more problems in the future. Genius. 

running on the pro-obesity ticket 

Downing Street has vowed to respond to the European Union’s legal action over the Northern Ireland Protocol ahead of the deadline that falls during the mourning period for the Queen, PA Media reports. PA says:

"The bloc had demanded a response to its raft of infringement proceedings over the UK’s failure to comply with the post-Brexit rules before the end of Thursday. The EU was expected to relax the deadline, as it fell within the mourning period during which politics as normal is paused in Britain".

image.png.b565697b7dfae88b7123d235edee72d3.png

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

First order of business for Kwarteng is going to be scrapping the cap on banker bonuses during a cost of living crisis. 

A surefire vote winner. 

Yeah, the poor bankers are only allowed bonuses which are 200% of their salary under EU rules. Now that we've left, the first tangible "benefit" of Brexit (besides the freedom to pump shit in our rivers) is to scrap this.

I actually don't get it, the optics are unreally bad. You've got to assume they have given up hope on winning another term and are going scorched Earth? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Country isn't paying attention, election is 18 months away. If you're going to do this, now is the time.

Naaah, I don't buy that at all. This will need to go through Parliament and will be visible for all to see on the statute. In fact, I think this might have trouble passing Parliament. Can't see red wall tories being happy. 

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Country isn't paying attention, election is 18 months away. If you're going to do this, now is the time.

Yeah but it can be used against the government in an election campaign with a good deal of success you’d think. I think you’re probably right though in terms of the timing. Perhaps they know it’ll be difficult to reverse with Labour looking like the EU are still pulling the strings (not that I see it that way but how it could be portrayed). Massive corruption is the other obvious factor. Kwarteng possibly realises they’re on borrowed time and is just looking after his mates in the meantime 

• Like 2

The country doesn't pay attention to lots of stuff, but when the country can't pay its bills, it pays attention to banker bonus caps being lifted. Also, it's not like the country can't be reminded of this in the run up to an election. 

Remember when inflation was double figures and you couldn't feed your kids, and the government said it was doing all it could to help, but it wasn't helping? That was the point at which they lifted the cap on banker bonuses because 200% of their salary just wasn't enough to put food on their table or buy that third holiday home. 

• Like 2

Yeah not so much saying that it's a good move ahead of an election in any sense, but still, if you're going to make that decision now is definitely the time for it.

Agree on the scorched earth/accepted defeat angle.

• Like 1

Consensus seems to be Labour will be rubbing their hands with glee. Looks like Truss and co intend to  rob the country as much as possible in the next 2 years before waving goodbye. This is consistent with the energy price cap. Put the bill on tick and leave it to the next (Labour) governent to sort out.

It's going to be another throughly miserable decade chaps. 

6 hours ago, Renton said:

Consensus seems to be Labour will be rubbing their hands with glee. Looks like Truss and co intend to  rob the country as much as possible in the next 2 years before waving goodbye. This is consistent with the energy price cap. Put the bill on tick and leave it to the next (Labour) governent to sort out.

Think we've been locked into that since Brexit anyway but it does seem that they're going out of their way to make it as bad as possible. The entire Tory party should be proscribed as terrorists.

On 14/09/2022 at 12:17, Renton said:

Have you noticed the lack of choice in crisps since Brexit? Can't get any of my favourites anywhere, some, like Brannigans, have ceased to exist. Saw a packet of pickled onion in the local newsagents yesterday so bought it, fucking 80 pence, ya fucker! 

Lack of choice on just about everything, every time I go shopping there is without fail something I can't get, random stuff all the time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Lack of choice on just about everything, every time I go shopping there is without fail something I can't get, random stuff all the time.

Yeah, there's no rhyme and reason to it. When somebody else goes out to buy something,  I always add "if you can get it". Never happened pre-Brexit that I recall. Oh, and my prescriptions are totally fucked up, can never get everything I'm prescribed. Fortunately nothing too serious. 

6 hours ago, Renton said:

true romance smile GIF

17 hours ago, Toonpack said:

I know, couldn't find chickpea flour anywhere.

• Haha 2

On 15/09/2022 at 08:40, Renton said:

Yeah, the poor bankers are only allowed bonuses which are 200% of their salary under EU rules. Now that we've left, the first tangible "benefit" of Brexit (besides the freedom to pump shit in our rivers) is to scrap this.

I actually don't get it, the optics are unreally bad. You've got to assume they have given up hope on winning another term and are going scorched Earth? 

sunlit uplands for some