Politics

Christmas Tree

21 minutes ago, strawb said:

I’m not saying I support it lads, but it is safe.

Personally think we should have invested in nuclear years ago, and now be supplementing it with wind and tidal.

Agree. But environmental groups like Friends of the Earth and Green Peace, as well as the Green party, took an ideological opposition to nuclear which wasn't based on any rational or evidence-based assessment. Which is why I can never support these groups, they have created a feelingof hysteria regarding nuclear which has ultimately been disastrous for climate change. See also Germany, who took a completely irrational decision to eliminate nuclear power after Fukishima. Now dependent on Russian gas. 

• Like 1

So before we had an energy crisis, fracking was deemed 'took risky to explore' by the sitting Conservatives but now it's OK? 

They may as well come out and say we give more of a fuck about filling the bonus packages of the energy providers executives than we do the safety of the working people in areas where shale gas is prevalent. 

Unbelievable.

58 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

and if the oil or gas wells are not built sturdily enough,” 

taken from one of those articles. That’s not a problem with the process, it’s a problem with operators.

Fracking has been done offshore since the late 70s/early 80s I think. They know how to do it properly

13 minutes ago, strawb said:

and if the oil or gas wells are not built sturdily enough,” 

taken from one of those articles. That’s not a problem with the process, it’s a problem with operators.

Fracking has been done offshore since the late 70s/early 80s I think. They know how to do it properly

Applying hugely pressurised water in an underwater situation is fairly different to doing it on dry land though…

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Zoe Williams isn't exactly a militant leftist but she nails what's wrong with Starmer here 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/22/uk-broken-12-years-starmer-tory-government-labour

Yeah, didn't know there was some controversy about singing the national anthem at the labour conference. If they normally do, just continue. If they normally don't (and I can't recall them ever doing it), don't. Pretty simple. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alex said:

BBC News once again showing its impartiality by having the CEO of Cuadrilla on to tell us what a good idea it is to end the ban on fracking 👍🏻

Fucking hell next they'll be asking the manufacturers of Zyklon B whether the holocaust was a good idea. 

Terrible analogy, I know.