Politics

Christmas Tree

42 minutes ago, Renton said:

On a related note, I've heard that travelling to or holidaying in the US is extrotionately expensive now compared to a decade ago. Don't know if this is true or not as I have no desire to go over there, but this won't help. More fat old retired Americans in London though, yay. 

Only been to America once, (under a labour govt), it was virtually $2 to the pound). This budget should be a suicide note and it looks like it's being received as much. 

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

This lot are trying to buy the 2024 general election and my moneys on them succeeding :cuppa:

I'm putting this right up there with CT's infamous "Could this be the week that we can say Mike Ashley is finally....etc."

They're so out of touch in their South Coast tax havens. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just watched 15 mins BBC news on catch up from 12 o'clock after watching sky news live at 12 o'clock. There's such a difference in tone, sky basically telling it how it is, BBC news spending 5 mins having Andrea Leadsom talking shite and not really getting grilled very much from their political editor. 

• Like 2

Just now, Howmanheyman said:

Just watched 15 mins BBC news on catch up from 12 o'clock after watching sky news live at 12 o'clock. There's such a difference in tone, sky basically telling it how it is, BBC news spending 5 mins having Andrea Leadsom talking shite and not really getting grilled very much from their political editor. 

State TV

BUT SAVE THE LICENSE! 

24 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm putting this right up there with CT's infamous "Could this be the week that we can say Mike Ashley is finally....etc."

They're so out of touch in their South Coast tax havens. 

Yeah you’re probably right mate. Remind me, how are Everton getting on in the championship this season?  :cuppa:

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 2

Tbh I am pretty firmly of the opinion now that they're expecting to lose and so are pushing the purest form of Toryism on us so that Labour are bogged down for years trying to sort it all out and they can come sweeping back in 5 years hence blaming Labour for absolutely everything - Brexit, the economy, the lot. They've reached a point where they need to muddy the water on who is to blame.

There cannot be any other plan at this stage. They're pretty much a domestic terrorist organisation at this point IMO - have been since Brexit but becoming increasingly bold.

The other angle is that they're complete fucking morons - which is a tempting one too.

I don't see how they can win on this basis, this is too much, surely. If PL is right about this we are beyond fucked.

• Like 2

I think they're out of touch morons and she's appointed a cabinet that is one big echo chamber of crazy. 

Probably still has the same effect of fucking the country and leaving Labour with a giant shit sarnie, but I don't think they're consciously doing that. 

21 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Tbh I am pretty firmly of the opinion now that they're expecting to lose and so are pushing the purest form of Toryism on us so that Labour are bogged down for years trying to sort it all out and they can come sweeping back in 5 years hence blaming Labour for absolutely everything - Brexit, the economy, the lot. They've reached a point where they need to muddy the water on who is to blame.

There cannot be any other plan at this stage. They're pretty much a domestic terrorist organisation at this point IMO - have been since Brexit but becoming increasingly bold.

The other angle is that they're complete fucking morons - which is a tempting one too.

I don't see how they can win on this basis, this is too much, surely. If PL is right about this we are beyond fucked.

I’ve thought this too re: expecting to lose but I’ve cone to the conclusion they haven’t got a clue what they’re doing. The problem with the notion it’s deliberate is they can’t take the rest of the party with them because it means loads of them losing their seat at the next election. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’ve thought this too re: expecting to lose but I’ve cone to the conclusion they haven’t got a clue what they’re doing. The problem with the notion it’s deliberate is they can’t take the rest of the party with them because it means loads of them losing their seat at the next election. 

Yeah, I'm thinking along both your lines, this is a last ditch gamble for them. Somehow this trigger a growth boom and somehow they will be re-elected on the back of this. And if it doesn't work out this way, then let Labour clear up the mess. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Alex said:

That's a fair angle I suppose - I would suggest though that it maybe depends a bit on how much they care about those fringe seats though, as long as the main bod of the party remains intact. That said, this could be a wipeout.

I mean the idea that they're just desperately incompetent is.. I mean really? I know we say this all the time but honestly, really? The people running the country? Is our society that fucking mental?

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, I'm thinking along both your lines, this is a last ditch gamble for them. Somehow this trigger a growth boom and somehow they will be re-elected on the back of this. And if it doesn't work out this way, then it's the same old tories clearing up labour's mess. 

CT'dYP 

:CT:

• Haha 3

Just now, Rayvin said:

That's a fair angle I suppose - I would suggest though that it maybe depends a bit on how much they care about those fringe seats though, as long as the main bod of the party remains intact. That said, this could be a wipeout.

I mean the idea that they're just desperately incompetent is.. I mean really? I know we say this all the time but honestly, really? The people running the country? Is our society that fucking mental?

Do they arrive where they are now if there’s any great degree of competence or some master plan that’s being played out? There’s a series of disastrous events that have lead to where we are. This is not an exhaustive list by any means but Cameron has a referendum he arrogantly thinks he can win. He loses and fucks off. May, another remainer, takes over and thinks a hard Brexit is the best way forward (for her and her retaining power). She has a healthy majority but calls a snap election anyway, is a campaign disaster and wipes that majority out. She’s now a dead man walking. No working majority and safe in the knowledge her party won’t let her stand as leader at the next GE. Johnson comes in and can’t do a thing but plays on the fact the thick as fuck general public are desperate to get Brexit done. Swinson and Corbyn get sucked into his ploy and he wins an 80 seat majority. Then Covid masks virtually everything wrong with leaving the EU. Eventually this begins to unravel because the entire government and Parliamentary Tory party say Brexit is going well when they know it’s actually wrecking the economy but can’t admit it. Johnson’s shenanigans eventually turn the public against him so his MPs would rather role the dice than risk losing their seat. The membership then choose Truss, a power hungry moron, despite every demographic (including Tory voters) preferring Sunak. Truss then picks a cabinet of sycophants even she doesn’t find mentally intimidating. Their big idea is to come up with massive borrowing to fund the biggest tax cuts in decades but ones which overwhelmingly benefit the rich the most, at a time when almost everyone is significantly worse off than they were 5 years ago. They’re just a pub drunk at closing time, staggering to the next lamppost, thinking it’ll save them until they accidentally stott their heed off it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Do they arrive where they are now if there’s any great degree of competence or some master plan that’s being played out? There’s a series of disastrous events that have lead to where we are. This is not an exhaustive list by any means but Cameron has a referendum he arrogantly thinks he can win. He loses and fucks off. May, another remainer, takes over and thinks a hard Brexit is the best way forward (for her and her retaining power). She has a healthy majority but calls a snap election anyway, is a campaign disaster and wipes that majority out. She’s now a dead man walking. No working majority and safe in the knowledge her party won’t let her stand as leader at the next GE. Johnson comes in and can’t do a thing but plays on the fact the thick as fuck general public are desperate to get Brexit done. Swinson and Corbyn get sucked into his ploy and he wins an 80 seat majority. Then Covid masks virtually everything wrong with leaving the EU. Eventually this begins to unravel because the entire government and Parliamentary Tory party say Brexit is going well when they know it’s actually wrecking the economy but can’t admit it. Johnson’s shenanigans eventually turn the public against him so his MPs would rather role the dice than risk losing their seat. The membership then choose Truss, a power hungry moron, despite every demographic (including Tory voters) preferring Sunak. Truss then picks a cabinet of sycophants even she doesn’t find mentally intimidating. Their big idea is to come up with massive borrowing to fund the biggest tax cuts in decades but ones which overwhelmingly benefit the rich the most, at a time when almost everyone is significantly worse off than they were 5 years ago. They’re just a pub drunk at closing time, staggering to the next lamppost, thinking it’ll save them until they accidentally stott their heed off it. 

Ok, that's convincing actually. Terrifying, but convincing. Fair enough.

Interest rates set to hit 5% next year now, with the BoE pulling in the opposite direction to the treasury. Who's mortgage is on a variable or on a fixed up for renew soon? Half of mine is on a tracker which is a a bit of the kick in the balls. The reduction in stamp duty will be more than countercted by affordability criteria of the new rates I think. 

• Like 2