Politics

Christmas Tree

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Honestly, I've never understood why anybody gave this grifting cunt any attention. I've never read a word he's posted. 

Odd backstory but apparently he received a lot of ( basically laundered Russian) money via the leave campaign. About £750k iirc. At the time he was a fashion student at Newcastle I think. People like that get lots of paid fake bot followers on the likes of Twitter to boost their online profile. Not sure what the point in him is though. Despite (or perhaps because of) all that 

Edited by Alex

The cost of UK Government borrowing surged again when markets reopened this morning, reaching their highest levels since August 2008.

The effective rate of interest on two-year and five-year lending reached 4.5%, amid investor concern about the UK government’s “mini-budget”.

The moves followed an early slump in the value of sterling to record lows against the dollar.

Financial markets are now pricing in interest rates rising 3% by spring next year to 5.5%.

Just in time for my fixed rate deal to come to an end...

I'm not that up on how parliament works, do these tax cuts have to be voted through parliament? Or is it an executive power. I had assumed the former. If so, is there a possibility they won't go through, given the shit they've already landed us in? 

I think there will be a vote on the changes announced. They will go through, the question will be the size of the Tory rebellion. Failure to push the changes through would be tantamount to the government being unable to control a majority and should lead to a GE which the Tories obviously won't want.

• Thanks 1

This has to be starting to grate with those Tories who are a bit less self absorbed though - they're watching morons ruin the country. There has to be a growing number of them for whom lines in the sand are being crossed, surely

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

This has to be starting to grate with those Tories who are a bit less self absorbed though - they're watching morons ruin the country. There has to be a growing number of them for whom lines in the sand are being crossed, surely

You'd hope so, but Johnson certainly masively reduced the "decent conservative" pool. One of the problems of ocurse is the sheer lack of competence on the tory benches or elsewhere. Think I heard the other day that three quarters of the tory parliamentary cunts have been on governement payroll since the 2019 election, partly because of leadership change but mainly because Johnson wanted to bribe people to stay loyal and massively increased the government size. The party is running out of stooges. 

Edited by Renton

I'm more and more convinced they're fucking things up as much as they possibly can so that Labour don't have a hope in hell of resolving it within one term. It's the only conclusion I can draw because surely they aren't THAT thick?

Tories putting self interest before the best interests of the country, who'd have though it?

17 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

This is it though isn't it, this is what proves that the people voting Tory almost to a man IMO, don't actually have the slightest fucking clue what they're voting for or what it means in reality.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

I'm more and more convinced they're fucking things up as much as they possibly can so that Labour don't have a hope in hell of resolving it within one term. It's the only conclusion I can draw because surely they aren't THAT thick?

Tories putting self interest before the best interests of the country, who'd have though it?

On the counter though these aren't tories as we'd have known them in previous years. Much like the GOP in the US, they have been eviscerated from within by a populist and his client media. I'm not sure they can come back from this, ever. I'm deperately hoping this can be a catalyst for constitutional change, I realise that probably won't happen. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I mean, she's doing exactly what she pledged to do in the leadership campaign. I'm sure there's 80,000 pensioners in the south of England delighted that this is what they voted for.

I think everyone assumed she was just lying to appease the 80,000. Turns out though, she really is a thick as pigshit sock puppet for the ERG. 

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

Odd backstory but apparently he received a lot of ( basically laundered Russian) money via the leave campaign. About £750k iirc. At the time he was a fashion student at Newcastle I think. People like that get lots of paid fake bot followers on the likes of Twitter to boost their online profile. Not sure what the point in him is though. Despite (or perhaps because of) all that 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I know the Tories changed the rules on No Confidence votes to get rid of the Shagger, is there a minimum time period from becoming PM before they can get rid, I wonder? 

They didn't need to change the rules in the end. Truss is new so 50 odd letters to Brady and we're back to square one again. Allegedly some letters were sent on her first day!

Edited by Renton

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Allegedly some letters were sent on her first day!

:lol:
I bet I know who sent most…

” Dear Committee

Liz is not very good. 
Regards
Boris”

” Dear 1922s

Please sack her, she killed the Queen

Thanks

Boris’ dad. “

” Dear Whoever

Bitch had better not touch my fucken wallpapers 

Carrie”

• Haha 6

Italy jailed Berlusconi at one point didn’t they? But now they’ve apparently voted for Marine Le Pen’s long lost Roman sister so it appears there is not let up once you’ve statutes down the lane towards  banana republic/kleptocracy/laundered Russian money…. this is it folks.. :cuppa: 

• Like 1

I think we get one chance to avert this - the next GE has to be a Labour win, and it has to bring in PR. Labour winning with no PR means a further decade of the Tories after that term - Labour failing to win means there'll be nothing left to save.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

This is it though isn't it, this is what proves that the people voting Tory almost to a man IMO, don't actually have the slightest fucking clue what they're voting for or what it means in reality.

I'd put it to you that that is the problem with democracy whichever side of the divide you sit. 

I like the idea of abolishing the House of Lords and replacing it with representatives from the various regions and nations. I like the idea of PR. But there are too many who like the idea of Never Labour, too many who think it's because of the immigrants, too many who haven't understood any argument for or against every topic, but their gut tells them that they're right.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I'd put it to you that that is the problem with democracy whichever side of the divide you sit. 

I like the idea of abolishing the House of Lords and replacing it with representatives from the various regions and nations. I like the idea of PR. But there are too many who like the idea of Never Labour, too many who think it's because of the immigrants, too many who haven't understood any argument for or against every topic, but their gut tells them that they're right.

I think deomcracy is better than hoping for a benovelent dictator like. And PR, done correctly, actually nullifies the issues we currently have (i.e. having an extreme right wing government despite 60% of people being liberal/progressives).   

• Like 1