Politics

Christmas Tree

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Okay, I think we are talking cross purposes here, my point stems back to the OP by ewerk, about Sizewell C. To sum up my point:

1) We need continuous energy more than ever in the 21st century, to operate anything electrical including C/H.

2) It's not always windy, so wind generation alone is not the sole answer.

3) It's not always light, so solar alone can never be the sole answer.

4) Often it is neither windy nor light. For example winter at any time outside the 6 hour day time window during anticyclonic conditions.

5) The example made in point 4) also happens to be the time when it is coldest and we need the most domestic energy.

So for this reason, what I am saying is we ALSO need a dependable source of energy that is not dependent on these factors that are outside of our control. That is why I think not proceeding with Sizewell C is a mistake. I also think cancelling HS2 and NPR are huge mistakes. We should be investing in carbon neutral infrastructure as much as possible, of all kinds.  

What is an anticyclone?

2 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I'm reading one now and I'm not sure it is what Renton thinks it is.

While it’s defined as winds moving in an anti-clockwise ( northern hemisphere) direction, the effect of having an anticyclone over you is light to minimal surface wind, so in the context of this discussion Renton is quite correct to cite them as something that would reduce wind power. 
But, they are also generally characterised by bright, clear conditions, so solar power the fuck out of them. 

We need multiple options. Tidal and wave power seems a no-brainer to me. Regular, dependable, and abundant. 

6 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I'm reading one now and I'm not sure it is what Renton thinks it is.

An area of high pressure which tends to block depressions (storms). A still mass of air basically, very common in winter. My Dad was a keen amateur meteorologist, had his own weather station, so I know a fair bit about the weather and climate. Not enough to be arsed to read scientific papers on it though. 

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

While it’s defined as winds moving in an anti-clockwise ( northern hemisphere) direction, the effect of having an anticyclone over you is light to minimal surface wind, so in the context of this discussion Renton is quite correct to cite them as something that would reduce wind power. 
But, they are also generally characterised by bright, clear conditions, so solar power the fuck out of them. 

We need multiple options. Tidal and wave power seems a no-brainer to me. Regular, dependable, and abundant. 

Agree but note: only6 hours daylight in mid-winter. And anticyclones at this time cause very cold temperatures. 

When planning anything you need to account for the worst case conditions if you want your system to be robust and, in this case, avoid black outs. 

Edited by Renton

21 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I think it is in Scotland.

Wouldn't surprise me, good government.

Also Scotland also has plenty of water, something else Westminster want to keep their hands on, SE England being a tad dry.

Btw if there was ever a time to cut the cord to twitter, it's now. With that giant manbaby Musk firing half the business at zero notice like a great big cunt, with advertisers pulling out, and him reportedly firing the team responsible for handling misinformation on the eve of the US midterms. 

Everybody should delete it and sink the company and his $44bn investment. 

It's about to become even more of a fucking cesspit anyway. 

• Like 2