Politics

Christmas Tree

30 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

A bloke who wants to be Prime Minister can't really be going around telling people he hates Tories and if they know what's right they'd cut Tories out of their lives entirely. :lol:

That's for the Laura Pidcocks of this world and we all know how well that worked out.

Yep. Plus you haven't lived until you've had a zuffle.

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

A bloke who wants to be Prime Minister can't really be going around telling people he hates Tories and if they know what's right they'd cut Tories out of their lives entirely. :lol:

That's for the Laura Pidcocks of this world and we all know how well that worked out.

I agree, a bloke who wants to be Prime Minister in this country can't display principles or any genuine aspect of his character. This may not annoy you, but it pisses me right off :D 

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Well this is a bit of a break from Starmer’s softly softly approach.

Fair enough but he's concentrating on just about the least important constitutional issue for me. I just see them as an irrelevance, although the nepotism and cronyism does bug me somewhat.

Howay Starmer, focus on FPTP and regional devolustion which we desperately need. There will never be a better time and you could really put your name in history here. 

• Like 1

It's really refreshing listening to the News Agents and hearing what the like of Maitlis, Goodall and Soppel really think.

This recent episode was particularly sobering. In less than a decade, the people of Poland will be better off than those of the UK, largely because of Brexit. That would have seemed utterly unbelievable a decade ago, but we're a boiling frog and this is really happening to us.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5jYXB0aXZhdGUuZm0vdGhlLW5ld3MtYWdlbnRzLw/episode/N2NjYzBkZDEtMDkxYS00ZTYyLThjMmEtODQzYzI5OWYzNDVh?ep=14

1 hour ago, Renton said:

It's really refreshing listening to the News Agents and hearing what the like of Maitlis, Goodall and Soppel really think.

This recent episode was particularly sobering. In less than a decade, the people of Poland will be better off than those of the UK, largely because of Brexit. That would have seemed utterly unbelievable a decade ago, but we're a boiling frog and this is really happening to us.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5jYXB0aXZhdGUuZm0vdGhlLW5ld3MtYWdlbnRzLw/episode/N2NjYzBkZDEtMDkxYS00ZTYyLThjMmEtODQzYzI5OWYzNDVh?ep=14

I was in Warsaw a couple of weeks ago and it's striking how the place feels like it's thriving, even with the recent bumps in the road and having to deal with the Ukraine situation and all. From glossy shopping centres to hipster bars and restaurants, big infrastructure projects and a slick business district to modernising how they're using the riverfront for bars and restaurants etc., it felt like a place on the up. I know you can't judge a country by its capital (least of all the UK!) but still, what you say doesn't surprise me at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

I was in Warsaw a couple of weeks ago and it's striking how the place feels like it's thriving, even with the recent bumps in the road and having to deal with the Ukraine situation and all. From glossy shopping centres to hipster bars and restaurants, big infrastructure projects and a slick business district to modernising how they're using the riverfront for bars and restaurants etc., it felt like a place on the up. I know you can't judge a country by its capital (least of all the UK!) but still, what you say doesn't surprise me at all.

We've got a Polish lad at work. He's been here years, and he was saying in the past few years when he's got home, it's really struck him that (in his words) "actually I'm now coming back to a better country when I come back to Poland. Better than the one I left to get there."

The roads, the new development. He said he doesn't know whether they're just at an earlier stage in the capitalism cycle, and they've got all of what we've got to come, but I think he was just trying to soften the blow tbh. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We've got a Polish lad at work. He's been here years, and he was saying in the past few years when he's got home, it's really struck him that (in his words) "actually I'm now coming back to a better country when I come back to Poland. Better than the one I left to get there."

The roads, the new development. He said he doesn't know whether they're just at an earlier stage in the capitalism cycle, and they've got all of what we've got to come, but I think he was just trying to soften the blow tbh. :lol:

One of the main purposes of the EU was to pull up countries to higher standards of living. It did this in 2 ways, firstly, by providing an enormous trading block to do business in, and secondly, through infrastructure improvement via regional development grants. The idea was not only was it a moral imperative to improve everybody's standard of living in the block, but by doing so would facilitate more high value trade to the benefit of all. 

Well, looks like it has worked, just when we decided not to be part of it any more. Will the gammons ever wake up to the fact Polish citizens will have a better standard of living than their grandchildren, and whose fault this was? I doubt it but I want their grand kids to know. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

image.png.34f40e65f38abc0938fa0863093ba89e.png

Fuck the fuck off, Starmer.

I yearn for the day when the salary is so attractive that I can finally consider my dream job of turnip harvesting as a career and can get into the Christmas spirit with seasonal turkey plucking.

I am sure it will be tough get through the selection process with the hordes of Brits clamouring for said positions though 🙄🙄🙄🙄

If you want to do that you can legislate for it.

The UK does have a productivity problem. If I'm being generous then I assume that Starmer's plan is to address that. However huge improvements in productivity don't happen overnight, in fact it won't happen in a decade. The country is struggling now with an aging population and huge numbers unable to work due to NHS backlogs. His words appear to be red meat to the xenophobes rather than a measured approach to what is a long term problem. We do need more people in the UK, the problem isn't that we've run out of space but the government has continually cut or not kept pace with the levels of infrastructure needed to support the numbers we have.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Another way of looking at Starmer's words is that he wants business to stop taking the piss out of workers. 

Which wouldn't be bad at all but linking it to immigration is just more gammon bait. 

• Like 1