Politics

Christmas Tree

The Lords has become bloated and packed with Tory cronies but I totally agree it’s not a massive priority. It’s very depressing to see Starmer blow this chance to effect real change 

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

The Lords has become bloated and packed with Tory cronies but I totally agree it’s not a massive priority. It’s very depressing to see Starmer blow this chance to effect real change 

Instead of taking the opportunity to absolutely destroy the Tories, I am starting to think he's quite happy to keep them around so they can all simply continue to "play the game", he needs his baddies.

• Like 1

Thing is if Corbyn had been opposed to pacts/PR with the worry that a radical programme would be watered down by the lib dems for example it would be understandable. 

Starmer doesn't have anything to water down - in fact the lib dems might want to do something to the left of them going by the manifestos in the Blair years. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

If he doesn't put PR on the manifesto, I'm not voting for them. I've even cross my EU line here, but I'm not crossing that one. PR is the bare minimum for me to vote Labour.

Not sure where you live, but I guess the irony is that it probably doesn't matter, 'cos we don't have PR.  I've long argued that PR is much more important than Brexit, EU membership will naturally follow PR once we leave the Belarus system behind us. And apart from anything else, FPtP is just demonstrably not democratic. It's continuence is literally indefensible to any true democrat imo. In any democracy, everybody's vote should count equally. That's clearly not the case.

Anyway, I'll dutifully support my local MP like I have for years. I played a small part in getting him elected in '97 after years of tory rule here, something I was proud of at the time. And of course Labour are still by far the lesser evil. But it does massively piss me off and other than tick on a box they can get fucked. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Michelle Mone taking leave of absence from the House of Lords. 

Of course, she's done fuck all wrong .... :rolleyes:

To some sun blessed Isle with no extradition treaty no doubt.

It’s quite funny though, that he’s chosen to drop his career based on a fundamental misreading of why he stayed on that show so long- it wasn’t because people liked him, it was that people wanted to see him suffer as much as possible, without actually winning it. 

He already did with questioning various results, especially Arizona.

On a totally related note German police raided various places today related to right-wing, qanon, russia sympathisieren related conspiracists who wanted to overthrow the government and form a new government. The woman chosen to keep charge of the ministry of justice is a former member of the Bundestag and judge of a civil law court.

The disease is spreading rather quickly.

• Jaysus... 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Well this news totally shocks me I can tell you. 

Odds on he will get a gig as a gameshow host. 

Whatever he does he'll be forever known as "former Health Secretary, Matt Hancock" which on the political spectrum of success amounts to fuck all. 

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Whatever he does he'll be forever known as "former Health Secretary, Matt Hancock" which on the political spectrum of success amounts to fuck all. 

Aye, especially when he was the health secretary responsible for the unnecessary deaths of tens of thousands of people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, especially when he was the health secretary responsible for the unnecessary deaths of tens of thousands of people. 

Who was sacked for breaking the very social distancing rules he put in place. 

• Like 1

Do remember the whole 'Care' badge fiasco? A mate of mine who works in social care went absolutely fucking nuts, rightly pointed out the costs could have been better spent.

Hancock wants to continue to be famous and to keep bringing in the money that comes with that. He’s probably somewhere on the psycho spectrum. Most normal people would’ve morally perished from utter shame if they’d acted the way he did in office

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

He already did with questioning various results, especially Arizona.

On a totally related note German police raided various places today related to right-wing, qanon, russia sympathisieren related conspiracists who wanted to overthrow the government and form a new government. The woman chosen to keep charge of the ministry of justice is a former member of the Bundestag and judge of a civil law court.

The disease is spreading rather quickly.

It was meant to be in the Trump thread. Don’t know why it ended up in this thread.

anyway