Politics

Christmas Tree

It’s the most commonly used justification for antisemitism, ‘we can’t be racist because we’re punching up’. Completely ignorant of the fact that you can’t use statistics to cover and entire group. Not all Jews are rich, not all blacks people are poor, it’s racist in itself to make these generalisations.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 3

I think I said earlier in this thread that Corbyn's blind spot was that he thought of racism as punching down but considered antisemitism as punching up. That applies to a lot on the left before you even start on Palestine or Israel. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

For someone with an anti-semitic agenda it is indeed potentially harmful to do so. For students of structural racism, it would be a relevant consideration. If what she's saying is factually true (and I don't know either) then we are left to make judgements as to her implied meaning - and as I said, I do understand why you've taken it the way you have, I can see that in full. I was just curious really if she was wrong on that single point.

the likes of sarkar and bastani, as baddiel points out, have a blind spot when it comes to antisemitism.

the novara media types defend the oppressed and attack the elites. it gets problematic when you label an entire ethnic group as elite or oppressed. 

it's an uncomfortable truth for most of us on this left-leaning board but when you move too far to the left (or the right), you start to come full circle. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

the likes of sarkar and bastani, as baddiel points out, have a blind spot when it comes to antisemitism.

the novara media types defend the oppressed and attack the elites. it gets problematic when you label an entire ethnic group as elite or oppressed. 

it's an uncomfortable truth for most of us on this left-leaning board but when you move too far to the left (or the right), you start to come full circle. 

Then for instance it's problematic to label black people as oppressed because there some exceptions to this? Is this also true in the Southern States of the US? Recognise differences here between Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi populations with respect to soical mobility? I'm not sure it should be problematic tbh.

My interpretation on what she said and what Rayvin quoted, being entirely ignorant and naive of her political persuasion, would be she seem to be saying we should focus more on the political and social inequalities associated racism rather than the racism intself. I personally wouldn't even have thought about the wealthy Jews ruling the World trope, it wouldn't have crossed my mind from what she said. I'm unsure whether my interpretation of what she said is correct and if it is whether I agree with it of not. Of course if she is sterotyping jews in the way you think then that is very wrong. Either way, I think the socioeconomic structures of minority (and majority) groups should be up for analysis and those most disadvantaged proactively helped. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

Gonna hoy this here because its more than just Brexit. This is well worth a watch despite its length.  I hope Starmer has some good ideas hidden behind his grey facade because honestly it looks like the country is fuckedl if you've got kids in primary school by the time they have done their GCSEs they will be worse off than their Polish peers. Then again, what do experts know?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Renton said:

Then for instance it's problematic to label black people as oppressed because there some exceptions to this? Is this also true in the Southern States of the US? Recognise differences here between Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi populations with respect to soical mobility? I'm not sure it should be problematic tbh.

My interpretation on what she said and what Rayvin quoted, being entirely ignorant and naive of her political persuasion, would be she seem to be saying we should focus more on the political and social inequalities associated racism rather than the racism intself. I personally wouldn't even have thought about the wealthy Jews ruling the World trope, it wouldn't have crossed my mind from what she said. I'm unsure whether my interpretation of what she said is correct and if it is whether I agree with it of not. Of course if she is sterotyping jews in the way you think then that is very wrong. Either way, I think the socioeconomic structures of minority (and majority) groups should be up for analysis and those most disadvantaged proactively helped. 

For me, it gets problematic when so-called progressives exclude certain ethnic groups from the hierarchy of victimhood because of perceptions over material possession.

Wealth doesn’t protect you from racism.

And as ewerk said, not all Jews are rich and not all blacks are poor. Prioritising which group the left should defend based on lazy stereotypes is racist. 

Racism against all groups is wrong. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

Gonna hoy this here because its more than just Brexit. This is well worth a watch despite its length.  I hope Starmer has some good ideas hidden behind his grey facade because honestly it looks like the country is fuckedl if you've got kids in primary school by the time they have done their GCSEs they will be worse off than their Polish peers. Then again, what do experts know?

thanks, I’ll watch this 👍🏼

44 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I just read an article and it was reported that Braverman's answer received a round of applause. So fuck everyone from Fareham. 

Some of these Tory towns, I'd actually bait the cunts if I was forced to stay over there for whatever reason. 

• Like 2

What I don’t get is this. If you’re the sort of cunt that agrees with the sort of language Braverman and Patel use then by extension you should be furious with them because the refugee crisis and the amount of people crossing the channel has gotten much worse on their watch. But most seem to just lap up the rhetoric without joining the fucking obvious dots. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Alex said:

What I don’t get is this. If you’re the sort of cunt that agrees with the sort of language Braverman and Patel use then by extension you should be furious with them because the refugee crisis and the amount of people crossing the channel has gotten much worse on their watch. But most seem to just lap up the rhetoric without joining the fucking obvious dots. 

GIF by Achievement Hunter

• Haha 1

So Sunak has blocked the Scottish gender recognistion bill, citing it could have consequences for the UK as a whole. Without getting into the specifics of the bill, funny how Brexit affected the UK as a whole but the Brexiters didn't give a shit how it impacted on Scotland who voted against it. How anybody can fail to recognise that there is a constitutional crisis and Scotland has a genuine, not made up, issue with its sovereignty is beyond me.

Scottish independence needed, right now. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/16/rishi-sunak-blocks-scotlands-gender-recognition-legislation

• Like 1

He's just written off all tory MPs in Scotland - not many but a few and skewed any independence vote.

Judging by his comments yesterday, Starmer will pander to his focus groups again and abstain at best. 

This is where Alex Salmon makes his comeback, splits the national vote and the whole of Scottish politics becomes an even bigger basket case. The content of the bill is contentious to say the least… I’ve not lived there for 30 odd years and it’s a significantly different place to the one I left (we’d just been used as Guinea pigs for the poll tax, largely where the Indy  campaign began) I think the Tory MPs will be ok, Scots aren’t returning Tory MPs out of habit now, they’re vehemently opposed to Indy and couldn’t give a fuck for democracy as long as they’re getting their way, same as most of the rest of the UK… 

• Like 1