Politics

Christmas Tree

12 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Dobby is a Buddhist though, unbelievable but true. 

In the same way JRM is a Christian 

• Haha 6

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/24/rachel-reeves-economic-thinking-social-democracy#comments

Rachel Reeves apparently going for Bidenomics - Neoliberal leanings, and an Osbornian take on austerity. Admittedly I'm struggling a little to place her positions on this exactly but that's my reading of it based on the cues in the article.

She looks like the centrist's centrist to me - worked for a bank, PPE degree, wants to do Tory economic policy but more competently. Even with the polls narrowing there's little doubt in my mind that Labour are going to win, so it'll be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'm not sure quite how you got that from the article.

And the fourth is that all this must happen within effective national fiscal rules – and not by allowing debt to balloon.

That's how I'm interpreting this sentence.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

And the fourth is that all this must happen within effective national fiscal rules – and not by allowing debt to balloon.

That's how I'm interpreting this sentence.

I think that's a bit of a leap tbh. Debt under New Labour remained steady until 2008 and I'm not sure you could say that they're the part of austerity never mind Obsorne levels of austerity.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think that's a bit of a leap tbh. Debt under New Labour remained steady until 2008 and I'm not sure you could say that they're the part of austerity never mind Obsorne levels of austerity.

Fair - I hope a lot of this becomes clearer as we move forward, it's tedious having to sift out key details from opinion pieces.

Just now, Renton said:

Doesn't even say she will cut debt there? We don't want more debt, we want more fair distribution of money. 

It's not really mentioned much on this either but tbf I'm not sure this is the speech for it. This seems to be more about getting the UK back to some sort of productive economic position, the social impacts of which aren't touched so much in the piece. You would hope that would be part of it but they're shying away from tax rises so it's hard to tell.

Just now, Rayvin said:

Fair - I hope a lot of this becomes clearer as we move forward, it's tedious having to sift out key details from opinion pieces.

Think you're going to have to wait for the manifesto, pretty close to the GE. Every policy Labour make at the moment gets stolen by the tories at the moment - Bridget's childcare being a case in point.

• Like 1

I think it's the inflation figures that have caused this, the figures released yesterday were disappointing and the markets clearly think that the BoE are going to raise interest rates higher than they had previously expected. So this basically means that government borrowing is more costly than before. Hopefully inflation will calm down in the next year and these will go back to normal. Suddenly my 4.19% 2 year fixed deal isn't looking so bad.

I'm paying well over 2k on my mortgage now and yes, I heard, yesterday they're expecting another three fucking rises. Each 0.25% rise costs me about £20-30 I think and there's been 12 in a row now. Half my mortgage is fixed for two years, half is a life-time tracker 0.75 above base rate.  Think my fixed rate ends in 2 years. Let's hope things have improved by then. Then energy, food, etc. My outgoings are horrific.  And fucking taxes, which I wouldn't mind if services were improving but fucking hell, the country is falling to bits. 

• Like 1

Fucking good, since his entire shameful political choice to cut the country to the fucking bone undoubtedly killed people. Fuck all will happen but maybe just a bit of attention about the actual human cost of austerity might land with a few of the 'a national economy is like a household budget' halfwits.

• Like 6

On 26/05/2023 at 11:21, ewerk said:

I think it's the inflation figures that have caused this, the figures released yesterday were disappointing and the markets clearly think that the BoE are going to raise interest rates higher than they had previously expected. So this basically means that government borrowing is more costly than before. Hopefully inflation will calm down in the next year and these will go back to normal. Suddenly my 4.19% 2 year fixed deal isn't looking so bad.

normal might be 4-5% again. It was for the first few years of my first mortgage pre-2008

I see "Gateshead's" Sebastian Payne, formerly of the FT, has been shortlisted as a Conservative Party candidate in Selby and Ainsty (maj. 20k in 2019).

Proper little Tory bootkisser, now hoping to get his rewards for services to the cause.