Politics

Christmas Tree

but lets not forget the huge numbers of ex-council tennants who now own their home thanks to her.

Absolutely diabolical policy.

Blatant bribe as she thought homeowner = Tory, assets sold for a fraction of their worth, revenues ring-fenced so drastic shortage of social housing which has led to house price inflation which has caused probably 2 major recessions ans still results in millions struggling to find somewhere decent to live.

But a few thousand people made a tidy sum so of course it was good.

But at the time, those in social housing jumped at the chance to own.

Also, apart from first-time buyers, I don't remember too many complaining when the value of property soared under the Labour administration.

I don't blame the people for taking advantage - that's human nature but it doesn't make it right.

Housing value increases are one of those things that gives everyone a nice warm fuzzy feeling and what I think is the illusion of wealth (if you sell you still have to find somewhere to live) but in the big picture Housing bubbles are bad news. People stretch too much to afford mortgages even if they aren't first time buyers and it can lead to crises like the one in the US that caused the shitstorm.

I'm not saying everyone should live in council houses but a mixed approach and one encompassing European rental models leads to a much more stable economy than the "buy at all costs" mentality that has arisen as a legacy of this policy.

but lets not forget the huge numbers of ex-council tennants who now own their home thanks to her.

Absolutely diabolical policy.

Blatant bribe as she thought homeowner = Tory, assets sold for a fraction of their worth, revenues ring-fenced so drastic shortage of social housing which has led to house price inflation which has caused probably 2 major recessions ans still results in millions struggling to find somewhere decent to live.

But a few thousand people made a tidy sum so of course it was good.

But at the time, those in social housing jumped at the chance to own.

Also, apart from first-time buyers, I don't remember too many complaining when the value of property soared under the Labour administration.

I don't blame the people for taking advantage - that's human nature but it doesn't make it right.

Housing value increases are one of those things that gives everyone a nice warm fuzzy feeling and what I think is the illusion of wealth (if you sell you still have to find somewhere to live) but in the big picture Housing bubbles are bad news. People stretch too much to afford mortgages even if they aren't first time buyers and it can lead to crises like the one in the US that caused the shitstorm.

I'm not saying everyone should live in council houses but a mixed approach and one encompassing European rental models leads to a much more stable economy than the "buy at all costs" mentality that has arisen as a legacy of this policy.

I think what a lot of it boiled down too was whether public spending ( local councils) could continue to afford the upkeep of council housing.

I think this view continued under Labour and many Labour councils such as Sunderland have sold their council stock off to private firms who can appoint people to carry out repairs as and when needed rather than employ large armies of tradesmen.

Isn't the European model very much based on private landlords which is what we are now moving more towards.

Personally I would love the local council to supply lots of good low cost housing but I also realise that as with most things in comes down to budgets and how much cash there is to around.

I think what a lot of it boiled down too was whether public spending ( local councils) could continue to afford the upkeep of council housing.

I think this view continued under Labour and many Labour councils such as Sunderland have sold their council stock off to private firms who can appoint people to carry out repairs as and when needed rather than employ large armies of tradesmen.

I don't think they had much choice given the squeeze on their finances and competitive tendering legislation implemented by both Tory and Labour governments.

Overall my point is that Thatcher set out to engineer a more houseowner based housing sector and I think its one of her most damaging legacies. I think this is one of the things Labour failed to "fix" during their tenure but in their defence I think she did succeed in an underlying change in attitude as I described which would have been almost impossible to go against.

Worth noting after all the hoo ha that at the lib dem conference yesterday over 99% of grass root lib dems voted in favour of the coalition.

Apparently those against amounted to around a dozen out of the 2,000 delegates.

Thought it'd be higher tbh

Worth noting after all the hoo ha that at the lib dem conference yesterday over 99% of grass root lib dems voted in favour of the coalition.

Apparently those against amounted to around a dozen out of the 2,000 delegates.

Thought it'd be higher tbh

Seduced by power - not necessarily a bad thing as obviously that's what they wanted but I still think it might cost them in the long term.

Seems a good first move from George Osbourne to make government forecasting independant so that politicians can't fiddle the figures in the future.

I agree :o

:D

Osbourne cant even turn a calculator on, that s why. Brown did forecasts scribbled on bog paper whilst having a shit and got them about right.

:razz:

You see the answer should be that if everyone is happy with their ratio, the spare cash should be put into a jolly boys outting pot (e.g. an Olympic games, update broadband to 1GB etc..). It can be then used if required to offset a credit crunch or bail out rover :D

This is quite an old quote. It should really be updated to reflect our current situation, which is the bill gets put up £20 (i.e. to service our £42 billion debt interest) and the first 7 guys vote 8, 9 and 10 (10 being business) to pay it so 10 f**ks off to India, leaving Gordon to look silly and Labourites who never understood the system in the first place to blame economic conditions.

In general businesses has moved to India so they can use cheap employment, rather than avoid UK taxes, wouldn't you agree? So how would you stem this, by reducing the national wage to that of an average Indian? Please enlighten me.

Under the last Labour government taxes have been very competitive with the rest of the Western world, whatever the Daily Mail might tell you. Also, didn't the Conservatives plan to levy non-doms as part of their manifesto? Not that I am necessarily against this, but it leaves your argument in as much tatters as your understanding of your payslip.

Your fine with the 9 guys and a business sector goes to the pub, but not the reference to India. :o

Feel free to change it to '10 goes out of business because the state bailed out banks wont lend any money at less than 18% APR'

Regarding outsource, the issue has never been solely about cost savings. We are losing businesses because they have no reason to stay. I mentioned increasing the broadband speed to 1GB. This would create a media sector businesses would flock too. :razz:

Yes it is its all about cost saving. Why else would anyone move a customer service base to a country which does not have English as their first language. If I could I would disassociate myself from any company which had a call centre in India. I also think companies should be taxed for operating in Europe with important services based outside of EUrope.

You see the answer should be that if everyone is happy with their ratio, the spare cash should be put into a jolly boys outting pot (e.g. an Olympic games, update broadband to 1GB etc..). It can be then used if required to offset a credit crunch or bail out rover :D

This is quite an old quote. It should really be updated to reflect our current situation, which is the bill gets put up £20 (i.e. to service our £42 billion debt interest) and the first 7 guys vote 8, 9 and 10 (10 being business) to pay it so 10 f**ks off to India, leaving Gordon to look silly and Labourites who never understood the system in the first place to blame economic conditions.

In general businesses has moved to India so they can use cheap employment, rather than avoid UK taxes, wouldn't you agree? So how would you stem this, by reducing the national wage to that of an average Indian? Please enlighten me.

Under the last Labour government taxes have been very competitive with the rest of the Western world, whatever the Daily Mail might tell you. Also, didn't the Conservatives plan to levy non-doms as part of their manifesto? Not that I am necessarily against this, but it leaves your argument in as much tatters as your understanding of your payslip.

Your fine with the 9 guys and a business sector goes to the pub, but not the reference to India. :o

Feel free to change it to '10 goes out of business because the state bailed out banks wont lend any money at less than 18% APR'

Regarding outsource, the issue has never been solely about cost savings. We are losing businesses because they have no reason to stay. I mentioned increasing the broadband speed to 1GB. This would create a media sector businesses would flock too. :razz:

Yes it is its all about cost saving. Why else would anyone move a customer service base to a country which does not have English as their first language. If I could I would disassociate myself from any company which had a call centre in India. I also think companies should be taxed for operating in Europe with important services based outside of EUrope.

I agree with this.

Slightly off topic, but I had a really annoying argument with an Indian cold caller last weekend. Stupidly I agreed to do his survey on 'political issues', and the twat started asking me if I had a conservatory etc. Told him to go fuck himself at this point. I also struggled to understand a word he said. Using Indian telesales is completely counterproductive imo.

whens the queens speech?

I think I read somewhere that it's May 25th.

Budget's been set for June 22nd, hasn't it?

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched Dave do his first PMQ's and must say it was a damn good performance.

We're talking about genuine answers to questions here not referring to ready made answers as became so commonplace under Labour.

Its clear as day that we now have the change and fresh start that was needed.

Just watched Dave do his first PMQ's and must say it was a damn good performance.

We're talking about genuine answers to questions here not referring to ready made answers as became so commonplace under Labour.

fuck off man that bird who used to post on here made him look like an amateur ;)

fuck off man that bird who used to post on here made him look like an amateur ;)

Exactly he was stumped. He sounded no different to me, that conniving tone makes me shiver.

Just watched.....

When Boris met Dave

All about there days at Eton and then later at Oxford.

Quite interesting if you havent yet seen this. Boris was the guy with no real money on a scholarship who totally acted the toff, where as Cameron was the Toff who was into Phil Collins, playing the drums and befriending the local Rastafarian.

Interesting stuff and I for one , didnt appreciate the long term rivalry between Dave and Boris.

Caught the local news last night and they had Boris on his bike in Trafalgar Square losing it with the bikers who are protesting at parking fees. How's this for diplomacy:

Boris: "If you want to carry on riding in the bus lanes then stop these bloody protests now!" ;)

Boris for PM, could you imagine it ;)

wish he was on have i got news for you again

You laugh, but thats his long term goal and I would certainly not bet against him.

He plays the buffoon very well but is also a very clever bloke and is well liked by a wide range of people.

You laugh, but thats his long term goal and I would certainly not bet against him.

He plays the buffoon very well but is also a very clever bloke and is well liked by a wide range of people.

And you think the British public would accept a buffoon as PM? I hope not.

Last time he was on QT he was embarassing, struggled to make any sense at all, like he was drunk or something.

Last time he was on QT he was embarassing, struggled to make any sense at all, like he was drunk or something.

You seem to forget the good people of London voted him in.

Whether or not his own party would make him leader is a different question all together. If they did I would say he would get voted in. You should watch that programme I referred too. As well as being an eye opener it was quite entertaining.

You seem to forget the good people of London voted him in.

Whether or not his own party would make him leader is a different question all together. If they did I would say he would get voted in. You should watch that programme I referred too. As well as being an eye opener it was quite entertaining.

I wouldn't trust Boris to operate a mop, let alone a £10 bn Crossrail project

Charlie Brooker, Monday 14 April 2008

A few years back, during the run-up to the Nathan Barley TV series, my co-author Chris Morris and I briefly kicked around a storyline about an animated MP running for election. When I say "animated", I mean literally animated. He was a cartoon - the political equivalent of Gorillaz - fashioned from state-of-the-art computer-generated imagery so that he could move and talk in real time, like Max Headroom. His speech would be provided on-the-fly by a professional cartoon voice artist working in conjunction with a team of political advisers and comedy writers, so he'd have an impish personality not dissimilar to the genie in Disney's Aladdin. Debating against him would be impossible because he'd make outrageously goonish statements one minute and trot out cunning political platitudes the next. Because he wasn't real, he'd never age, die, or be bogged down in scandal - and huge swathes of the population would vote for him just because they found him cool or fun or different.

Fast-forward to now. On May 1 London chooses its mayor, and I've got a horrible feeling it might pick Boris Johnson for similar reasons. Johnson - or to give him his full name, Boris LOL!!!! what a legernd!! Johnson!!! - is a TV character loved by millions for his cheeky, bumbling persona. Unlike the cartoon MP, he's magnetically prone to scandal, but this somehow only makes him more adorable each time. Tee hee! Boris has had an affair! Arf! Now he's offended the whole of Liverpool! Crumbs! He used the word "picaninnies"! Yuk yuk! He's been caught on tape agreeing to give the address of a reporter to a friend who wants him beaten up! Ho ho! Look at his funny blond hair! HA HA BORIS LOL!!!! WHAT A LEGERND!!!!!!

If butterfingers Johnson gets in, it'll clearly be a laugh riot from beginning to end, like a series of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em in which Frank Spencer becomes mayor by mistake. Just picture him on live TV, appealing for calm after a terrorist bombing - the scope for chuckles is almost limitless.

Assisting Boris in his run, the London Evening Standard is running an openly hostile anti-Livingstone campaign, which means every other page carries a muckraking down-with-Ken piece from crusading journalist Andrew Gilligan, played by Blinky, the three-eyed fish from The Simpsons, in his byline photo. All the articles blend into one after a while, but their central implication is that Ken's a boozy egomaniac surrounded by a corrupt circus of cronies, so you might as well vote for a rightwing comedy pillock instead. You know, him off the telly. With the blond hair. LOL!!!! WHAT A LEGERND!!!!!

Now, even if the Standard photographs Ken carving a swastika into a dormouse's back, I'll vote for him for the following reasons:

1) I'm genetically predisposed to hate the Tories. It's my default, hard-wired position. If Boris wins, their simpering pudge-faced smuggery is going to be unbearable. Picture the expression Piers Morgan makes when he's especially pleased with himself, then multiply it by 10 million, and imagine it looming overhead like a Death Star. That's what it's going be like. Therefore I don't care who wins provided Johnson loses, and loses hard, preferably in close-up, on the telly.

2) Ken's other main rival is solid-but-dull Lib Dem candidate Brian Paddick. He probably deserves a shot, but as he's not going to win, voting for him would be a waste of a perfectly good X, which might otherwise be used to pinpoint buried treasure, indicate affection, or mark a plague victim's door.

3) I wouldn't trust Boris to operate a mop, let alone a £10bn Crossrail project.

4) On a related note, I don't believe in my gut that Boris gives even the faintest hint of a wisp of a glimpse of a toss about London, or indeed humanity in general. Both of which are fairly important in a job like this.

5) But on the other hand OMFG LOOK AT HIS FUNNEEE HAIR LOL!!!! BORRIS IS A LEGERND!!!!

Anyway, if the worst happens and Boris gets in, then provided he doesn't obliterate the capital in some hilarious slapstick disaster, or provoke war with Portsmouth with a chance remark - provided, in short, that London still exists in some recognisable form - the rival parties should fight fire with fire by running equally popular TV characters against him in the next election.

It doesn't even matter if they're real or not. Basil Brush would be a shoo-in. Churchill, the nodding dog from the car insurance ads - he'll do. Or if we're after the ironic vote, how about Gene Hunt from Life on Mars? Or Phil Mitchell? At least he's a Londoner.

They might as well. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and there's no more desperate sign of the times than the current wave of LOL OMFG!!!! BORIS DONE A GUFF!!!! ROFL!!!!!!! THE MAN IS A LEGERND I TELL YOU LOL!!!!! I CARNT WAIT 2 SEE HIM RUNNING THE INTIRE CITTY!!! BORRIS 4 KING!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...iebrooker.boris

Edited by Happy Face