Politics

Christmas Tree

A nice unbiassed new statesman article :-)

it is almost being portrayed that Labour were going to light up a joint and ride the growth wave to safety land. Let's not forget that Labour also wanted big cuts and planned to half or reduce the defecit within a few years.

They should have all had the balls to really battle this out before the election. Cowards.

anyone interested near a radio...all this is about to get a good kickabout on five live at 4pm.

Alternatively, there is also a programme about it on bbc3 at 7pm

They should have all had the balls to really battle this out before the election. Cowards.

NO! You really just don't get it do you? Making cuts in a recession is completely counterproductive. :angry:

NO! You really just don't get it do you? Making cuts in a recession is completely counterproductive. :angry:

You do realise we are out of recession?

You also realise that all parties planned to make big cuts?

You also realise that the Tories decided to make 6 billion of savings this year to AVOID labours hike in National Insurance next year?

My point was that all parties should have fully discussed their own cuts policies before the election.

If you don't agree with the last point you need a lie down.

You also realise that the Tories decided to make 6 billion of savings this year to AVOID labours hike in National Insurance next year?

My point was that all parties should have fully discussed their own cuts policies before the election.

We are only just out of recession from a technical point of view and the recovery is looking slow at best. There is a clear threat of a 'double dip'. Anyway your post clearly suggests Labour should have made cuts while they were in power, which presumably means while we were in recession.

I thought you were interested in politics? Then you should be aware that Labour stated how they would half the deficit over the course of a parliament, so what are you on about? The crucial point was to establish the recovery first. The Liberals agreed on this point, only to betray their voters later because of tory coercion.

NO! You really just don't get it do you? Making cuts in a recession is completely counterproductive. <_<

We are only just out of recession

Your right CT would have sufficed :angry:

Edited by Christmas Tree

CT while YOU'RE googling grammar, please try "double dip" as well.

We may well go into a double dip recession but I would still rather see the government taking action than one hoping the good times fairy will magic it all away.

There is only one place the blame for all this lies and that is with the Labour Government.

While Labourites will try and deflect blame and whisper away the years of overspending, I dont think the main electorate (the ones who change governments), will forgive them for a very long time.

We may well go into a double dip recession but I would still rather see the government taking action than one hoping the good times fairy will magic it all away.

There is only one place the blame for all this lies and that is with the Labour Government.

While Labourites will try and deflect blame and whisper away the years of overspending, I dont think the main electorate (the ones who change governments), will forgive them for a very long time.

You still don't get it do you? A double dip recession would mean no growth, and no way to cut the deficit no matter how savage the Conservative cuts were. It would mean millions of people unemployed, especially in this region. A decade of misery for the North East, just like the 1980s.

As for your 'fairy magic', what are you talking about? :angry:

If you mean economic growth, well persistent economic growth, with recession 'blips', has been the norm since World War 2, hasn't it? Why would that change now? If we end up in a global depression like the 1930s we're all pretty fucked anyway - and you'd blame Labour for that I suppose. <_<

You still don't get it do you? A double dip recession would mean no growth, and no way to cut the deficit no matter how savage the Conservative cuts were. It would mean millions of people unemployed, especially in this region. A decade of misery for the North East, just like the 1980s.

If you mean economic growth, well persistent economic growth, with recession 'blips', has been the norm since World War 2, hasn't it? Why would that change now? If we end up in a global depression like the 1930s we're all pretty fucked anyway - and you'd blame Labour for that I suppose. <_<

I do Renton but you seem not too and padding out your posts with lots of ;) ;) :icon_lol::rolleyes: isnt going to make it make anymore sense.

Why would a double dip recession lead to millions more unemployed?

Did the first dip lead to millions more unemployed?

Every party was promising cuts next year. Do you acknowledge this?

There is going to be a decade of misery because your lot overspent and overspent and then spent some more? The financial meltdown, which Labour did nothing to prevent, added to the debt already run up by Browns Maxed out visa.

Its worse now because nobody can see where the next boom is going to come from, unless you can?

The finance boom was the last biggy and its all over now? No more cheap loans?

This is why cuts are needed. There isnt a boom (magic fairy :icon_lol: ) on the horizon.

I do Renton but you seem not too and padding out your posts with lots of ;) ;) :icon_lol::rolleyes: isnt going to make it make anymore sense.

There is going to be a decade of misery because your lot overspent and overspent and then spent some more? The financial meltdown, which Labour did nothing to prevent, added to the debt already run up by Browns Maxed out visa.

Its worse now because nobody can see where the next boom is going to come from, unless you can?

This is why cuts are needed. There isnt a boom (magic fairy :rolleyes: ) on the horizon.

Honestly, this doesn't even warrant a serious response. I'm quite disappointed actually. By failing to demonstrate any understanding of the issues at hand you've yet again shown yourself either to be an idiot or a wum. My money is on the former like. :icon_lol:

This is why cuts are needed. There isnt a boom (magic fairy :rolleyes: ) on the horizon.

Honestly, this doesn't even warrant a serious response. I'm quite disappointed actually. By failing to demonstrate any understanding of the issues at hand you've yet again shown yourself either to be an idiot or a wum. My money is on the former like. :icon_lol:

Once again the eternal question dodger strikes again.

BTW, you spend far too much time on here :razz:

It all boils down to this, if interest rates dont go up after a boost to spending (they would if inflation 'expectations' rise) then a increase in government spending of £100bn would lead to boost in production of £150bn. If those interest rates then stay put, this virtually pays for itself without impacting future private investments.

http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2010/06/we-n...ficits-now.html

http://www.newdeal20.org/2010/06/07/the-g2...New+Deal+2.0%29

It’s even worse in Europe. In Great Britain, the new Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition is under pressure to eliminate the UK government’s deficits in spite of the fact that the previous Labour Government’s aggressive deployment of fiscal policy arrested the prospect of an Iceland-style economic calamity. Yet with no unintended irony, British PM David Cameron had this particular gem of an insight:

“Nothing illustrates better the total irresponsibility of the last government’s approach than the fact that they kept ratcheting up unaffordable government spending even when the economy was shrinking.” (Our emphasis)

So we’re supposed to ratchet up government spending when the economy is growing? When it can present genuine inflationary dangers? If this is the type of policy incoherence we have in store, then God help the United Kingdom. This statement would be funny if not so unintentionally destructive. The government will most certainly uphold the promise of “decades of austerity” with economic thinking of this quality.

Edited by ChezGiven

It’s even worse in Europe. In Great Britain, the new Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition is under pressure to eliminate the UK government’s deficits in spite of the fact that the previous Labour Government’s aggressive deployment of fiscal policy arrested the prospect of an Iceland-style economic calamity. Yet with no unintended irony, British PM David Cameron had this particular gem of an insight:

“Nothing illustrates better the total irresponsibility of the last government’s approach than the fact that they kept ratcheting up unaffordable government spending even when the economy was shrinking.” (Our emphasis)

So we’re supposed to ratchet up government spending when the economy is growing? When it can present genuine inflationary dangers? If this is the type of policy incoherence we have in store, then God help the United Kingdom. This statement would be funny if not so unintentionally destructive. The government will most certainly uphold the promise of “decades of austerity” with economic thinking of this quality.

Im not going to argue with you on this because you obviously come at this from a very detailed theoretical position. All I will say is that you could probably put 100 economists in a room and get very different answers.

What I would be very interested to hear from you or anyone else is where they seem real growth coming from. Im talking the sort of growth that gives everyone that warm good time feel.

Bearing in mind the crash of the finance bubble, I just cant see where the next ones coming. More and more stuff continues to be made overseas. There seems nothing on the horizon.

Is it really as bleak as it seems or is there some sector that is going to do the trick.

Frightening artcle that. :angry:

BTW, you spend far too much time on here :angry:

That is certainly true. I have a lower post-per-day count than you though. <_<

Im a taxi driver sitting on my arse all day?

Arnt you a big editor for the NHS or summit ;)

Frightening artcle that. <_<

Chin up, I'll google you a happier one. :angry:

BTW, you spend far too much time on here :angry:

That is certainly true. I have a lower post-per-day count than you though. <_<

Im a taxi driver sitting on my arse all day?

Arnt you a big editor for the NHS or summit ;)

At the moment I'm just doing silly hours in the Office doing some pretty boring stuff and need some light relief.

But, if we're going to get personal, didn't you say you earn 100k a year or something from your taxiing? Surely you don't get that from sitting on your arse all day? I'd have thought you'd be earning every minute of your shift.