Politics

Christmas Tree

They want hanging too......But thats why we have politicians who can make these decisions on hard facts etc rather than populous whims.

So the opposite of what you said before then? About them doing what's most popular :icon_lol:

There will always be losers, but in reality, the majority are more relieved that its someone else whose losing and not them.

I've given you numbers to show the majority oppose what cuts there have been and favour tax hikes. Can you back up your claim here?

There seems to be this frenzy being whipped up in the media about Labour losing in Scotland and that it'll undoubtedly lead to full independence. I've never read so much bollocks in all my life!

This is council elections, not parliamentary ones and whilst these elections do display a voting trend, it's by no means a given. Scotland has 59 constituencies of which the SNP hold only 6. The Lib Dems hold 11 and Labour have 41.

The Scots are keen for their councils to be administered by those who have their local interests at heart - it makes absolute sense but the Westminster votes returned last year told a completely different story and they still would if a GE was held this week.

Guest alex

No chance of the Tories getting rid of the Libs because if there was a General Election tomorrow there'd be another hung Parliament and they'd then be without their erstwhile allies. They know their best chance of an overall majority is to hold the coalition together until the planned date for the next Wesminster poll.

I always remember years ago being struck by a Doctor Who story - probably with Peter Davison or Colin Baker - where he visited a planet where every government decision was voted on by the populace via an electronic system and I wondered whether it would work - especially now it is pretty much technically feasible.

I suppose some happy medium where leaders are forced to consider such votes - maybe in a weighted combination with the commons a la party leadership elections - would work.

Of course people might easily say they wouldn't mind tax increases knowing it won't happen and that's different to when it will (a bit like Liberal manifesto pledges in the past).

Guest alex

Ironic that we probably could do that and we don't even have an electronic voting system in Parliament as yet.

They want hanging too......But thats why we have politicians who can make these decisions on hard facts etc rather than populous whims.

So the opposite of what you said before then? About them doing what's most popular :icon_lol:

There will always be losers, but in reality, the majority are more relieved that its someone else whose losing and not them.

I've given you numbers to show the majority oppose what cuts there have been and favour tax hikes. Can you back up your claim here?

I dont think I said that???? I think i said they backed the deficit reduction.

Re your figures, I am sure they clawed from all sorts of various lefty sources. :blush: My claim is backed up by the Tories winning seats at the local elections, when all pundits were predicting losses of up to 1000 seats.

Not too mention the overwhelming backing of the public in their NO to AV campaign and a big two fingers up at Milliband and Clegg.

The bottom line is this. Labour have been wiped out in Scotland. Add this to the forthcoming boundary changes and it will be many many years before a labour government gets its hands on power again.

article-0-013AF34900000578-924_468x286.jpg

Tally Ho.

No chance of the Tories getting rid of the Libs because if there was a General Election tomorrow there'd be another hung Parliament and they'd then be without their erstwhile allies. They know their best chance of an overall majority is to hold the coalition together until the planned date for the next Wesminster poll.

Agreed hence why IMO the NHS deal has now been struck. Why else would the Tories 'pander' to the Lib Dems post elections and AV referendum unless they still needed them.

Not true, quite a few lib dem seats were won by narrow margins over Tories. Those seats would definitely change. Add to this the waverers who now see the great things being achieved by the Tory government and a majority would be achievable.

Just take the pensioners who've seen their pensions tied to the retail price index...More More More they'll be shouting as they zip down to the polls on their mobility scooters.

The only danger would be all the lay abouts about to lose benefits scampering their as well.

I have no doubt these discussions are taking place as we speak and Cleggy will only get a short time playing nasty Nick.

Labour have been wiped out in Scotland.

Last time I checked they still held 70% of the parliamentary seats north of the border so here's a right royal "have they fuck" to you CT :icon_lol:

article-0-013AF34900000578-924_468x286.jpg

If ever there was a face you'd want to punch it's that twat on the right. There's only Michael Gove I find less bearable.

Agreed hence why IMO the NHS deal has now been struck. Why else would the Tories 'pander' to the Lib Dems post elections and AV referendum unless they still needed them.

No something we dont?

No something we dont?

No, I think the majority of the forum know you have the grammatical ability of an absolute mong.

No something we dont?

No, I think the majority of the forum know you have the grammatical ability of an absolute mong.

So thats a know then?

CT desperate for a bite again.

Not at all Alex. Think Ive been very fair in not milking the political downfall of Labour and Lib Dems last week.

Pleased I wasnt on here in 97 mind. :blush:

You're not the only one :icon_lol:

I dont think I said that????

The majority of the public is still behind the deficit reduction.

thats why we have politicians who can make these decisions on hard facts etc rather than populous whims.

Which is Cameron engaged in? Populist whim catering or hard line difficult decisions that need to be made despite their unpopularity?

Surely it can't be both? Perhaps the papers you read give the impression of tough decisions being popular. The polls on those cuts don't back it up. An unrelated AV referendum tells you nothing about how they're handling the economy.

Guest alex

Not sure how a 10% increase in their share of the vote counts as symbolising the political downfall of the Labour party like.

Just take the pensioners who've seen their pensions tied to the retail price index...More More More they'll be shouting as they zip down to the polls on their mobility scooters.

The only danger would be all the lay abouts about to lose benefits scampering their as well.

Hang on, are you saying it's a good or bad thing to cast your vote purely in self-interest?

Labour will come back in time. The economy is by no means safe right now, and people will forget about Brown, the huge cock up they brought on etc. in 4 or so years time. In the mean time Cameron and his fags will happily destroy the NHS, go all Jeremy Kyle on anyone who loses their job and give tax breaks of billionaires. The burden of tax and sacrifices will shift onto the poorer in society, and The coalition and their backers will rake in any money made from any recovery that may happen.

No doubt it'll be our fault everything is closing as we haven't all volunteered to keep libraries, hospitals, swimming pools etc. open after working a full-time job on minimum wage. That is what the 'Big Society' is isn't it?

What really fucks me off about Cameron, Osbourne and co. is that they lecture us about the need to tighten our belts, make sacrifices to reduce the deficit and so on, and these cunts have never had to do that, living in their ivory towers. I'd like to see Osbourne try and find a job in a jobcentre staffed by fat-arsed mongs who don't care and have to worry about being able to pay a water will or that month's rent. I understand the logic behind attacking the deficit, but to savage the lower classes whilst they swan around without a worry in the world is disgusting.

I dont think I said that????

The majority of the public is still behind the deficit reduction.

thats why we have politicians who can make these decisions on hard facts etc rather than populous whims.

Which is Cameron engaged in? Populist whim catering or hard line difficult decisions that need to be made despite their unpopularity?

Surely it can't be both? Perhaps the papers you read give the impression of tough decisions being popular. The polls on those cuts don't back it up. An unrelated AV referendum tells you nothing about how they're handling the economy.

First off all I said the public backed the conservative plans on the deficit reduction which is entirely different to saying that the government does whats popular?

Secondly, you havent stated where your mish mash figures come from. The main poll that backs up what i said is the Guardian / ICM poll taken a few weeks back that shows 57% of voters back the current cuts or think they should be even deeper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/ma...-coalition-poll

Hang on, are you saying it's a good or bad thing to cast your vote purely in self-interest?

I didnt say it was good or bad

Guest alex

I didnt say it was good or bad

That's why he asked the question :icon_lol:

Labour will come back in time. The economy is by no means safe right now, and people will forget about Brown, the huge cock up they brought on etc. in 4 or so years time. In the mean time Cameron and his fags will happily destroy the NHS, go all Jeremy Kyle on anyone who loses their job and give tax breaks of billionaires. The burden of tax and sacrifices will shift onto the poorer in society, and The coalition and their backers will rake in any money made from any recovery that may happen.

No doubt it'll be our fault everything is closing as we haven't all volunteered to keep libraries, hospitals, swimming pools etc. open after working a full-time job on minimum wage. That is what the 'Big Society' is isn't it?

What really fucks me off about Cameron, Osbourne and co. is that they lecture us about the need to tighten our belts, make sacrifices to reduce the deficit and so on, and these cunts have never had to do that, living in their ivory towers. I'd like to see Osbourne try and find a job in a jobcentre staffed by fat-arsed mongs who don't care and have to worry about being able to pay a water will or that month's rent. I understand the logic behind attacking the deficit, but to savage the lower classes whilst they swan around without a worry in the world is disgusting.

Honestly, biggest load of crap I think I've ever read on this forum.

Where are the lower classes who are being savaged?

How are they being savaged?

Everyday I am out there (on the front line) dealing with people from all sorts of backgrounds.

Nothing has changed, nobody is bleating or moaning, there are no soup kitchens springing up.

I dont think I can recall one person, friend, family or customer who has lost their job because of the cuts.

Even when every cut has taken its toll, spending will still be at 2009 levels ffs

Pensions going up, more people taken out of tax all together, family credits increasing. Really getting savaged like. :icon_lol: