Politics

Christmas Tree

I'm all for forms of proportional representation, but it seems least relevant of all when it comes to electing someone to deal with dogshit and potholes in your immediate neighbourhood.

8 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I'm all for forms of proportional representation, but it seems least relevant of all when it comes to electing someone to deal with dogshit and potholes in your immediate neighbourhood.

Elected by a few hundred people who bothered to turn up, and including independents. It's probably the only level of politics where I'm happy with FPtP.

I still don't know whether you get to vote several times for candidates in one ward or one vote against several wards. But I've realised that I don't really care.

I'm not in London, but I imagine if there are 3 places up for grabs, you will have three voting slips with different individuals on each (but same main parties represented). You put a separate cross against one candidate on each slip. And no, I can't be bothered now either. ^_^

14 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I still don't know whether you get to vote several times for candidates in one ward or one vote against several wards.

The former.

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm not in London, but I imagine if there are 3 places up for grabs, you will have three voting slips with different individuals on each (but same main parties represented). You put a separate cross against one candidate on each slip. And no, I can't be bothered now either. ^_^

Nope - one big ballot paper with all the candidates on, and you mark up to three candidates.

This kind of thing:

Yellow-local.JPG

:lol:

And aye, it's inherently flawed as (precisely because some people don't understand the system) you almost always get more votes for the candidates from each party who come earlier in the alphabet. Plus doing it this way means you're stuck with the exact same make-up of the council for four years instead of being able to reflect local developments in your area by voting for someone else next year. The end result is less accountability because, round here at least, the councillors tend to be conspicuous by their absence for three and a half years only to turn up and do a bit of campaigning ahead of election day, whereas at least when you have elections most years, they have to be seen to be doing something along the way even if it's not their turn to be up for re-election, as otherwise the candidate from their party is less likely to get in.

On the other hand, it costs £ to hold elections and Lewisham is broke, so there we are.

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Good night for the Lib Dems by the looks of it.

And there are still Tory MPs claiming their losses as a sign that people want them to get on with Brexit.

It’s unequivocally a good result for Remain. The Tories can argue otherwise but it only shows just how blatantly dishonest they are 

Hopefully by 'sort it' he means stop it. Because there ain't nobody defecting to the Lib Dems and Greens because they want Labour to deliver Brexit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Barry Gardiner was a remainer and is in a remain seat yet appears to have been one of Labour's biggest cheerleaders for leaving. Why?

Barry Gardiner is an over exposed arsehole. Sick of these cunts. 

This is a taster for the Euro elections. I actually put my cross against Labour for the local candidate because I couldn't stomach the alternatives (UKip, tories, Green), and spoiled votes aren't counted. Voted LD in the mayoral, first time ever I have voted against Labour. I'll never vote Labour again nationally as long as Corbyn is leader and/or they don't adopt an unambiguous anti-Brexit or pro PV position. 

I wonder come the 23rd what type of person votes Labour? My guess is it will be mainly loyal remainers, with Brexiters pissing off to Farage's scummy party. These people are gone, and what's more you should be saying good riddance to the racist fuckers. Because you have to be racist to vote for Farage. Given this, Labour could mop up huge quantities of remain votes simply by unambiguously taking a remain stance. Will they? Will they fuck. Morally bankrupt cowards of the first order. 

They would really stop the Lib Dem surge and could kill the Tiggers in their infancy by coming out as remain. There's lots of votes to be won there but Corbyn is too instransigent to do anything about it.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Fucking hell, Sunderland.

Absolute turkeys voting for Xmas, the stupid cunts. It'd be hilarious were it not for the negative impact of Nissan shutting will have on the whole NE. As it is, it just makes me hate them more.