Politics

Christmas Tree

I'd say if he resigned (very unlikely but maybe he could be persuaded) the only likely centrist who could win the leadership would be Watson who I don't think is that appealing. 

I'm not quite sure where Starmer fits but I'd take him at the moment. Wanting to retain the bulk of the manifesto being the priority for me (plus stronger remain position obviously). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJS said:

I'd say if he resigned (very unlikely but maybe he could be persuaded) the only likely centrist who could win the leadership would be Watson who I don't think is that appealing. 

I'm not quite sure where Starmer fits but I'd take him at the moment. Wanting to retain the bulk of the manifesto being the priority for me (plus stronger remain position obviously). 

I'm not sure any centrist would radically alter the manifesto that so many people liked. They just didn't like the guy hoping to deliver it.

Corbyn has served his purpose in shifting the party to the left but it's time for someone who has a broader appeal to the public to have a chance to sell it.

As you say though, who is that person? A lot of the centrists (though I'm reluctant to use that term) aren't in the shadow cabinet and have no prospect of being promoted under the current leadership.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I'd vote for Tom Watson

Watson is too divisive for the party membership IMO. Needs to be someone a bit more understated - probably wouldn't hurt if it was a woman, either.

35 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Watson is too divisive for the party membership IMO. Needs to be someone a bit more understated - probably wouldn't hurt if it was a woman, either.

Is this your pitch for the job? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Renton said:

Is this your pitch for the job? 

I mean, I could do it. Let's be real, almost anyone in here could run the Labour Party more effectively than it is presently being operated.

And I could just tell them that I identify as a woman. No one would be able to say a damn thing.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, NJS said:

I'd say if he resigned (very unlikely but maybe he could be persuaded) 

No chance would he resign - he's as bad as Johnson from that point of view.  It is all about himself, not the party and certainly not the country - politician 101

• Like 2

"I will always back Britain's great farmers and as we leave the EU we need to make sure that Brexit works for them.

"That means scrapping the Common Agricultural Policy and signing new trade deals - our amazing food and farming sector will be ready and waiting to continue selling ever more not just here but around the world.

"Once we leave the EU on 31 October, we will have a historic opportunity to introduce new schemes to support farming - and we will make sure that farmers get a better deal."

This is where it's difficult to know if he's deliberately lying or really does believe this nonsense. The no deal Brexit he's pushing would be absolutely disastrous for our agricultural sector which would have already been decimated by the time these theoretical trade deals have been done.

Good to see the pro-Remain parties being pragmatic and harnessing the flaws of FPTP to their benefit for once, at least. The combined vote share of the losers is irrelevant in that respect, even if it is a concern - but then you've got the Boris bounce and an MP with local popularity (despite his misdemeanours) to consider. Under other circumstances the Tory vote might well have been more depressed.

The worry is that in a GE, a no-deal-ticket Conservative party would do the same kind of deals with Farage - stand aside in some of the places where UKIP were making progress in the north pre-2016 to clear the way for the Brexit Party to beat Labour, say (and in some desolate Kent backwater so Farage can have his seat at last), and get similar favours in return. Hopefully the Tories are too pig-headed to allow that to happen, but all bets are off these days. :dunno: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

Good to see the pro-Remain parties being pragmatic and harnessing the flaws of FPTP to their benefit for once, at least. The combined vote share of the losers is irrelevant in that respect, even if it is a concern - but then you've got the Boris bounce and an MP with local popularity (despite his misdemeanours) to consider. Under other circumstances the Tory vote might well have been more depressed.

The worry is that in a GE, a no-deal-ticket Conservative party would do the same kind of deals with Farage - stand aside in some of the places where UKIP were making progress in the north pre-2016 to clear the way for the Brexit Party to beat Labour, say (and in some desolate Kent backwater so Farage can have his seat at last), and get similar favours in return. Hopefully the Tories are too pig-headed to allow that to happen, but all bets are off these days. :dunno: 

Its interesting. This whole mess was caused by the Tories infighting and warding off Farage. A pact with him would be the ultimate irony, and certainly the death of the party as we used to know them. I can't see it. But then again I'm being proven wrong about everything recently. Aren't we all I guess.