Politics

Christmas Tree

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'd rather see 130,000 innocent people die that you use one death for your party political purposes. Disgusting behaviour.

I would drive a lorry head on into your horse and cart to avoid a Tory majority. 

• Haha 3

So are the Tories trying to do a deal with Farage now?

If so I think we're really in trouble. Swinson continues to refuse to entertain the notion of working with Corbyn which, as Labour is far and away the bigger party, is actually on her. It's also on her because she has nailed her cock to the mast of remain.

I simply do not understand this idea that Labour aren't a viable remain option, it's a damaging lie. And it's landing with some remainers.

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So are the Tories trying to do a deal with Farage now?

If so I think we're really in trouble. Swinson continues to refuse to entertain the notion of working with Corbyn which, as Labour is far and away the bigger party, is actually on her. It's also on her because she has nailed her cock to the mast of remain.

I simply do not understand this idea that Labour aren't a viable remain option, it's a damaging lie. And it's landing with some remainers.

They've already done one - that's not in question btw, the video Johnson put out was in direct response to a request from Farage to give him something he could use to stand down MPs. 

Front page of the Telegraph says they're trying to do another deal today but Farage is (so far) resisting. 

4pm is the deadline. 

As you mention though, the real tragedy is that Corbyn and Swinson won't work together (it's both of them to blame though, not just her). 

To be fair it's been Labour policy since they started not to do deals with other parties - no matter how much people say times are unique they aren't really.

I know politics is full of shit but when the lib dem statement regarding Canterbury says " we want to give the people a chance to vote for a remain candidate" the whole world should just shout "fuck off".

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

They've already done one - that's not in question btw, the video Johnson put out was in direct response to a request from Farage to give him something he could use to stand down MPs. 

Front page of the Telegraph says they're trying to do another deal today but Farage is (so far) resisting. 

4pm is the deadline. 

As you mention though, the real tragedy is that Corbyn and Swinson won't work together (it's both of them to blame though, not just her). 

Still think its more on her. In the end, Brexit is merely another issue for Labour, whereas it's the be all and end all for the LDs. I couldn't name you a single LD policy other than revoking A50.

Swinson is a minor party leader with delusions of grandeur and if it costs remain the win here she'll be resigning and swiftly followed by a poll collapse for the LDs back to around 10%

Labour should absolutely be reciprocating too, but they're a major party. If they start standing people down they become a minor party, leaving the conservatives free to claim that they are indeed the one true party of governance.

Maybe we have to take the LDs at their word and determine that they would be happy to work with BJ over Corbyn. Perhaps that's why this won't happen.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye, I think the Lib Dems are more likely to gain more from Tory remainers than Labour remainers tbf so it would not be a good look to be seen to be working with Corbyn.

I cling to this notion too, but the idea of not standing aside for Labour in remain seats pours cold water on it to a degree. She can stand aside, advocate for remain, and still appeal to Tory moderates.

17 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I cling to this notion too, but the idea of not standing aside for Labour in remain seats pours cold water on it to a degree. She can stand aside, advocate for remain, and still appeal to Tory moderates.

And all the while Corbyn offers nothing. I think Swinson is having a disastrous election campaign so far, but the idea that the Lib Dems should just bend over for Labour is daft imo. 

The two of them should have worked together, let the Lib Dems stand in the seats where polling suggested they could win over Tory remainers and then let the chips fall where they may. If it turned out that keeping Corbyn out of No 10 was more important to Tory remainers than actually remaining, then so be it. At least we would have given it a shot. 

Instead we're in this ridiculous position where the Tories have done the deal with the Brexit Party that everyone said they couldn't afford cos it would cost them moderate Tories, and still the opposition parties can't bite the bullet and do something themselves. 

Just fucking try it. Take a risk. We're fucked anyway if you don't. They are prepared to hand Johnson a majority and the Tories another 5 years in power rather than take an actual chance on one another. 

Swinson can fuck off but she can take that cunt Corbyn with her. 

• Like 1

And btw, on the face of it there's nothing wrong with Corbyn saying that they should have arrested that ISIS bloke... But why can this silly cunt not spot a trap question. 

The bloke is fucking dead. You don't need to offer up what would have been a better option cos he's dead. Just say "of course it's a good thing that he's no longer causing bother" and if they try and push you to say more shut it down: "he's dead. Move on. Next question."

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

And all the while Corbyn offers nothing. I think Swinson is having a disastrous election campaign so far, but the idea that the Lib Dems should just bend over for Labour is daft imo. 

The two of them should have worked together, let the Lib Dems stand in the seats where polling suggested they could win over Tory remainers and then let the chips fall where they may. If it turned out that keeping Corbyn out of No 10 was more important to Tory remainers than actually remaining, then so be it. At least we would have given it a shot. 

Instead we're in this ridiculous position where the Tories have done the deal with the Brexit Party that everyone said they couldn't afford cos it would cost them moderate Tories, and still the opposition parties can't bite the bullet and do something themselves. 

Just fucking try it. Take a risk. We're fucked anyway if you don't. They are prepared to hand Johnson a majority and the Tories another 5 years in power rather than take an actual chance on one another. 

Swinson can fuck off but she can take that cunt Corbyn with her. 

I'm genuinely not saying that Corbyn and Labour shouldn't be reciprocating, but stopping Brexit is the LDs raison d'etre at this point. After all of this, if Labour lose, I actually think it'll be blamed on Swinson - and the reason for that is that she has completely failed to appreciate that a good 8 or 9% of their current polling is borrowed from Labour because of Brexit. She already has the Labour Remainers, but she's going to lose them pretty fucking quickly if she refuses to make headway on this issue.

Now, they'll likely just go back to Labour which you would think would be fine except that we need them to vote for LD candidates in some places. And it honestly seems to me that she's starting to make that difficult for some of them.

I appreciate she needs the Tory vote in certain places and maybe there's an informal arrangement in the backroom between the two, but she needs that deal more than Corbyn does.

Frankly, I'm not even convinced Corbyn is that arsed about any of this now. He'll be off if he loses for certain, and I doubt he'll give any of this shit a second thought.

Someone in the comments under that saying that if they've used standard class differentiators then the working class band also includes all pensioners, well off or otherwise. Can only hope that's true but i doubt such a misleading data set would be published if it is.

Edited by Rayvin

Thing is there was an old attitude which probably persists which say's if you're doing "okay" you should vote tory - that's how the bitch worked the council house sale, assuming that once people owned their own home they'd be more inclined to vote for them. Sadly it worked to a large degree. I think that's especially true with pensioners.