Politics

Christmas Tree

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Wow. 62% of people like getting something for free. Shocking!

Ask them where broadband sits in their list of priorities and that’ll tell you something else.

Captures people's attention though... the British public are stupid and unfocused remember.

Just now, ewerk said:

Everyone:

Everyone:

Everyone:

Labour: FREE BROADBAND FOR ALL!!!

Everyone: Mmmmm, okay...

That isn't how that meme works, grandpa. Don't make me hit you with an 'ok boomer'.

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Will HS2, at £70bn or whatever it is now, be as productive for the economy as free broadband? I'm doubtful. Renton may disagree.

I was on a train coming back from London today that was absolutely rammed, like a rush hour tube. But for a 4 hour journey. So yes, we desperately need more capacity on the railways. 

Why cant we do both? Provide access to great public transport and broadband? But for free, seriously?  What next, free water, utilities, food? I'm sorry, fibre optic broadband isn't some kind of human right. 

36 minutes ago, Renton said:

I was on a train coming back from London today that was absolutely rammed, like a rush hour tube. But for a 4 hour journey. So yes, we desperately need more capacity on the railways. 

Why cant we do both? Provide access to great public transport and broadband? But for free, seriously?  What next, free water, utilities, food? I'm sorry, fibre optic broadband isn't some kind of human right. 

Your issue is the free bit? Idk man, they've only included this because they felt it would be eye catching. They might not even follow through with it. But in terms of getting people's attention, it's succeeding. I mean Johnson is promising all kinds of bollocks about Brexit, I don't see the harm in Labour playing the game a bit on a policy that's popular.

They're not gonna be able to do it anyway, so who cares. They'll be minority government at best.

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

Interesting thread, not that it tells us much we couldn't have gathered already I suppose, but interesting nonetheless

Actually very interesting. Not much we can do about it now sadly.

Corbyn is a terrorist sympathising, Stalinist enthusiast, UK hating old man.

Johnson is a lying, philandering, insincere, cruel and cynical bastard.

While only one of those statements is true, the public clearly can't be expected to establish truth on their own. Which does indeed make Corbyn a liability. Either way he's gone after this. I don't think he'll even see out a full term if he wins it. He looks fed up of all of this now IMO.

The Political Party podcast is well worth a listen anyway, but he's doing daily interview episodes during the campaign. The one he did with Gloria De Piero this week - I went from not thinking much of her to being disappointed she's standing down. Well worth a listen. 

If it was deliberate, whoever made the call was completely brainless, given it was literally just reported in the mirror that he laid the wreath upside down.

These types of human errors happen, particularly with an archive system as unwieldy as the BBC’s. I don’t buy the conspiracy that it was some senior editorial decision by the beeb to cover up Johnson’s mistake.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I still find it incredible the BBC is claiming showing 3 year old footage of Johnson the day after Remembrance Sunday was a genuine mistake. 

It was very much deliberate & they would have had to go to some effort to make it happen.

Well I reckon it would have been 10-15 minutes work which on that schedule is tight. 

Every time they make this kind of “mistake” it always seems to be beneficial to the tories.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

It was very much deliberate & they would have had to go to some effort to make it happen.

Well I reckon it would have been 10-15 minutes work which on that schedule is tight. 

Every time they make this kind of “mistake” it always seems to be beneficial to the tories.

These sort of production errors happen all the time. If it was deliberate, whoever made the call was clearly a moron if they thought for a moment no one would notice given it was literally just reported that he laid it upside down.

The notion that some shady senior BBC editor made this happen in order to make Johnson look better is beyond absurd. It would have leaked by now if there was any truth in it.

Read the twitter thread from Chris Cook, someone who has hands on experience working in the BBC newsroom. 

Edited by Dr Gloom