Politics

Christmas Tree

Honestly I don't know what the point is, but maybe Corbyn is the one with everything to gain. His approval ratings are -60. If he can come across like a normal human being instead of a terrorist sympathising anti-semite (which shouldn't be difficult) then he can only go up, I would think.

Johnson, conversely, has it all to lose really.

Johnson's questions for Corbyn:

1. You are proposing a second referendum on EU membership. In that referendum, would you recommend the UK should remain or leave?

2. Your previous manifesto promised to end freedom of movement, but following your conference it is now Labour party policy to “maintain and extend” free movement. Would you end, maintain or extend free movement, and would immigration be higher or lower under Corbyn’s Labour?

3. Asked on Sunday if you were prepared to continue to pay into the EU budget on an ongoing basis, you replied “clearly if you want access to a market there are costs involved”. How much would you be willing to pay into the EU budget in return for “access to markets”?

4. All 635 Conservative candidates standing at this election have pledged to me that, if elected, they will vote in parliament to pass my Brexit deal. Can you guarantee that every Labour candidate supports your Brexit policy?

I think 2 and 4 could be painful.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-british-uk-media-news-bias-tories-labour-a9209026.html?fbclid=IwAR3-hXxwAHyujsl0H6h54v5jmowdAjoiGWLyemQna6ROm__BF4IP1mpG-p8

Press massively pro-Tory compared to Corbyn. And whatever you think about Corbyn, it's surely not possible to argue that he has been more offensive, and less competent, than Johnson. This is what we're up against.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I'm not nervous at all. Two candidates, one I have zero respect for, one of which I have zero respect for and which I utterly despise. 

I'm watching master chef. Love the skills test and Monica's gurning face. :D

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm not nervous at all. Two candidates, one I have zero respect for, one of which I have zero respect for and which I utterly despise. 

I'm watching master chef. Love the skills test and Monica's turning face. :D

Yes, we all know you're waiting for the halcyon days of bland centrist politics to return. Meanwhile, I note that Swinson is tanking in the polls.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yes, we all know you're waiting for the halcyon days of bland centrist politics to return. Meanwhile, I note that Swinson is tanking in the polls.

Always going to happen, BP and LDs will be squeezed like last time. And yeah, I bet you 90% of people would love the bland old days back rather than utter shit fest we've endured since 2015. 

Fuck me, making a croquet monsieur, I could do that. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Always going to happen, BP and LDs will be squeezed like last time. And yeah, I bet you 90% of people would love the bland old days back rather than utter shit fest we've endured since 2015. 

Fuck me, making a croquet monsieur, I could do that. 

I bet they would too tbh. But we are where we are because bland centrist policies failed in the most absolute terms possible, on both sides of the divide.

It's fine that Corbyn can't answer how he'll campaign on a referendum, Rayvin said so. ;)

Seriously, Corbyn has got off to a fucking shocking start here.  Impaled on his own fucking idiotic Brexit policy. He seems fucked. 

39 minutes ago, Tom said:

My concern is that Johnson - with all his dodgy connections - will go full Trump and just start barking out populist lies. 

He has repeatedly lied about the UK coming out together but Corbyn isn’t being nearly forceful enough.

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It's fine that Corbyn can't answer how he'll campaign on a referendum, Rayvin said so. ;)

Seriously, Corbyn has got off to a fucking shocking start here.  Impaled on his own fucking idiotic Brexit policy. He seems fucked. 

I didn't say that, I just said his policy was the most logical one out there. I couldn't tell you why he isn't pressing the fact that he's going to support whatever the people decide and remain impartial on the matter. That he has his own private view but feels that a Labour Brexit and a Remain outcome would both allow the UK to go forward into a bright future.

Doesn't make the policy less sound.

As I said a couple of days ago though, I'm not sure Corbyn's heart is in this anymore. Which is deeply frustrating.

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I bet they would too tbh. But we are where we are because bland centrist policies failed in the most absolute terms possible, on both sides of the divide.

Really? New Labour failed? Funny how a failing party got elected three times in a row.