Politics

Christmas Tree

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

@Howmanheyman here's Gateshead Sebastian asking some questions. :lol:

I'm definitely picking up a hint of Deckham in his accent.

I know a lad who reckons he was the last one to live in and leave the Dunston rocket. Obviously he didn't realise wor Seb in the flat above him was still smoking a tab, having a can and watching the TV as he left the building thinking he was the very last one standing. :lol:

Looks to me like all the main Remain parties are finally talking about tactical voting. 4 days is leaving it fucking late but LDs have stopped campaigning in some seats, hopefully Labour will do the same in others.

I assume we are going to consider a hung parliament a victory at this point.

• Like 1

I'd rather have a hung parliament than an outright labour victory tbh. Like Blair, I don't think Labour at present can form a credible government. Corbyn needs to go. 

Doesn't look likely though at the moment. Main hope is that the Tories have flat lined and labour will keep squeezing the smaller remain parties, get the young out, get moat the undecided, and that ultimately northern brexiter types won't stomach voting for them. All this is possible I guess.

I'll probably watch til 2am on Thursday, get a bit pissed, and feel awful at work on Friday, especially if the tories get a large majority. 

It'd be the first time since '92 that I haven't stayed up (and that was only because I was on a school trip), but If the exit poll is well outside the margin of error - a 30+ Tory majority, say - then I'll most likely switch off. There's no benefit to putting yourself through it really. :dunno:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

It'd be the first time since '92 that I haven't stayed up (and that was only because I was on a school trip), but If the exit poll is well outside the margin of error - a 30+ Tory majority, say - then I'll most likely switch off. There's no benefit to putting yourself through it really. :dunno:

Agreed. Although i would fucking love to see Raab lose his seat live, were it to hàppen. Portillo losing his is still a personal political hhighlight for me. 

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Agreed. Although i would fucking love to see Raab lose his seat live, were it to hàppen. Portillo losing his is still a personal political hhighlight for me. 

in fairness to portillo it did result in freeing up time to make some rather engrossing rail travel programmes.

• Haha 1

Being reported on Marr that Long Bailey will be Corbyn's replacement in the event of an electoral loss. She reminds me of a semi finalist from the Apprentice. I think at this stage, the Labour party is finished and we are into unknown territory. Thoughts? 

Raynor possibly. I have a lot of respect for her achievements. Single mum, strong working class roots, fought from the bottom for where she had to get to. Will truly understand the challenges working class people face.

Alternatively someone who has been low profile, younger and with a bit more fire.

Before Corbyn came along, as a centrist option, I was going to support Yvette Cooper. She still has my respect also.

• Like 1

The key thing any future Labour leader needs is charisma. Corbyn doesn’t have any whatsoever outside of his narrow support base. The public simply don’t like him as has been shown time and time again. RLB has the same issue.

Angela Rayner isn’t too bad in that department but not ideal. Though it’s hard to think of anyone in the party who really fits the bill and can win enough support from the membership.