Politics

Christmas Tree

38 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Starmer has emerged as the clear front runner through Yougov polling. The membership don't seem keen on RLB.

I don’t know what the answer is but if Labour want to start winning back the Northern seats they lost last month I’d have thought someone not intrinsically tied to remain might be a good idea :cuppa:

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I don’t know what the answer is but if Labour want to start winning back the Northern seats they lost last month I’d have thought someone not intrinsically tied to remain might be a good idea :cuppa:

When Brexit begins to be seen for the sham it is then having a remainer in charge mightn’t be such a bad thing.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

And yet the majority of the country voted Remain in the election. So do we pander to 'northern voters' about something which "they won" and is now a non-issue, or do we actually set out a vision that doesn't have to be hamstrung by appealing to the people you've just set out in your previous post as being 'factually wrong about everything'.

I don't know either tbh. I really don't. Pragmatically support people who are factually wrong in the hope of convincing them that their incorrect opinions are being catered to while pulling a fast one and reforming the country as best we can once in power (avoiding a number of important policy areas such as climate change in the hopes of spending the first term combatting voter ignorance), or continuing to point out that these people are factually wrong while the Tories are kicking them in the bollocks for the next 5 years, and hope that by the end of it they're all sufficiently scared of impotence that they're willing to admit that they've been wrong about everything.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

And yet the majority of the country voted Remain in the election. So do we pander to 'northern voters' about something which "they won" and is now a non-issue, or do we actually set out a vision that doesn't have to be hamstrung by appealing to the people you've just set out in your previous post as being 'factually wrong about everything'.

I don't know either tbh. I really don't. Pragmatically support people who are factually wrong in the hope of convincing them that their incorrect opinions are being catered to while pulling a fast one and reforming the country as best we can once in power (avoiding a number of important policy areas such as climate change in the hopes of spending the first term combatting voter ignorance), or continuing to point out that these people are factually wrong while the Tories are kicking them in the bollocks for the next 5 years, and hope that by the end of it they're all sufficiently scared of impotence that they're willing to admit that they've been wrong about everything.

The percentages are in a way irrelevant, Hilary Clinton also won the popular vote v Trump. Labour need to win seats, and they need to convince a sceptical northern England that they understand them. They also took Scotland for granted and have seen their support  move en masse to the SNP. They’re in the last chance saloon. A possible disastrous half decade ahead might not help them too much either, people are so polarised now and there’s literally nobody changing their minds. The tories will keep telling them they were right to vote leave and right to vote Tory last month. I’ve no idea who among the Labour Party can counter that. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ewerk said:

When Brexit begins to be seen for the sham it is then having a remainer in charge mightn’t be such a bad thing.

Few admit they’re wrong. I’m not sure what someone on benefits in a former Labour seat who voted Tory last month wants to hear. It’s not very likely “you got that wrong didn’t you bollockchops?” 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Few admit they’re wrong. I’m not sure what someone on benefits in a former Labour seat who voted Tory last month wants to hear. It’s not very likely “you got that wrong didn’t you bollockchops?” 

It’s wonderful how many people change their minds in retrospect and will claim to have never really supported the Tory Brexit. See the Iraq war for example.

And I think the evidence has shown that most votes were lost because of Corbyn and Labour’s failure to take a position on Brexit rather than not being Brexity enough.

Thing is I've looked at seats Labour needed to win which they didn't due to losing votes to the LDs and the greens showing they weren't remain enough to some voters

Even in Blyth the LD and Green total was more than the margin of victory. 

This was the problem with trying to sell what I think was a reasonable option to both sides where too many didn't want to be reasonable. 

I don't think an individual's pov will be an issue next time around compared with their overall public impression. 

• Like 1

I know a couple who live in Blyth Valley who voted Green. The reason they both gave was they’d never vote Tory or the Brexit Party, didn’t like Swinson and the LDs but couldn’t bring themselves to support Corbyn’s Labour. I’d say both are natural Labour voters 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I know a couple who live in Blyth Valley who voted Green. The reason they both gave was they’d never vote Tory or the Brexit Party, didn’t like Swinson and the LDs but couldn’t bring themselves to support Corbyn’s Labour. I’d say both are natural Labour voters 

I think Johnson knows they'll vote for a reasonable Labour leader which is why he's keen to pay lip service to them. 

I think Corbyn/Brexit were interchangeable reasons for not voting in a lot of cases. 

• Like 1

I was reading into Cumming's political views a bit and I'm not sure he is all that comparable to people like Bannon.

I think his agenda is entirely unique - he despises the London centric nature of the political system, despises the mono-culture created by Oxbridge graduates walking into civil service positions or the political landscape, and seeks to force all of these people to pay proper attention to the rest of the country. Put like that, he actually sounds more like a left winger. Also, I couldn't find anything about him decrying the left or even really Labour... but plenty on him saying that Brexit needs to happen in order to nip right wing nationalist movements in the bud. He sees all of this as removing Farage as a threat, relegating immigration to a secondary or tertiary concern within domestic politics, and de-toxifying the whole issue.

Put this like, he appears to be a pragmatist more than he's anything else.

Does anyone have any more info on his political views beyond the fact that he's just carried Johnson to power of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

despises the mono-culture created by Oxbridge graduates walking into civil service positions

What with him being an Oxford graduate and failed civil servant.