Politics

Christmas Tree

In other words, the government have muzzled a compliant BBC. Fair enough, I never thought I'd say this, but the corporation is of no use now, at least from the news perspective. Perhaps it should stick to radio, wildlife documentaries, and period dramas. 

45 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i don't think i ever denied there are questions to be asked over senior editorial decision-making. the report is absolutely right to flag concerns if the state broadcaster is failing to meet its editorial guidelines. 

what i have consistently said is that there is no big conspiracy. that any editorial bias among senior management doesn't filter down to newsroom reporters, who in my experience are honest and write in the formulaic bbc news style we're all used to, with emphasis on balance that the charter demands. 

where i have agreed with the majority on here is with the inability of some senior reporters to hide their bias (namely LK). i also suspect that senior editorial staff are running scared from the government, afraid of what it might be to come further down the line. 

Sounds like a organisation full of fuckin yes men/women :cuppa:

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

In other words, the government have muzzled a compliant BBC. Fair enough, I never thought I'd say this, but the corporation is of no use now, at least from the news perspective. Perhaps it should stick to radio, wildlife documentaries, and period dramas. 

see i'm going to disagree there, not least when you compare the bbc to the likes of cnn and fox. the bbc should be criticised and scrutinised when it isn't doing its job properly, but the alternative is much worse. i haven't given up for the future of bbc news like lots of you. i still think they do a lot of good stuff. newsnight, ros atkins etc

Of course there’s a fucking conspiracy. You don’t need every single journalist to be in on it. In fact that would be counterproductive, you just need the decision makers editing out negative news stories or putting a spin on them 

27 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

see i'm going to disagree there, not least when you compare the bbc to the likes of cnn and fox. the bbc should be criticised and scrutinised when it isn't doing its job properly, but the alternative is much worse. i haven't given up for the future of bbc news like lots of you. i still think they do a lot of good stuff. newsnight, ros atkins etc

I always find "it could be worse" argument to be very weak. At some point, and personally I think we may have already passed it, the BBC's censorship becomes more harmful than its non-existence. News Night and Maithis are the only exceptions to make me reconsider. But ITV, Channel 5, and especially Channel 4 all hold the government to account more than the BBC. 

• Like 1

Newsnight is allowed because it gives the appearance of an unbiased BBC and hardly anyone watches it. 

As an aside, have people seen the story doing the rounds that as recently as 2013 Johnson was getting his information about climate change from Piers Corbyn?

Edited by Alex

Yeah, I saw that. Piers Corbyn is actually quite academically bright compared with his brother, gaining a first in Physics from Imperial (no mean feat, especially in 1968), and later an MSc in Astrophysics from Queens. This doesn't make him a climatologist though and of course he has now fallen down the rabbit hole into conspiracy theories. He's not alone in that, some prominent scientists who have achieved success in their fields have then gone onto opine in non-related fields and too often become fully fledged fruit loops. Seems they are as vulnerable to the Dunning Kruger effect as the rest of us. Johnson, well, I don't think he believes in anything but himself. 

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Just found out my energy supplier is ceasing to trade. Ofgem will assign mea new provider in the next week and I'll be transferred over. The dominoes are starting to fall. 

Which one is it? 

19 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Just found out my energy supplier is ceasing to trade. Ofgem will assign mea new provider in the next week and I'll be transferred over. The dominoes are starting to fall. 

Gas prices soaring, inflation rising quickly, food shortages, tax rises and benefit cuts. If this doesn't mean the end of support for this shower of shite in government then nothing will.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Gas prices soaring, inflation rising quickly, food shortages, tax rises and benefit cuts. If this doesn't mean the end of support for this shower of shite in government then nothing will.

But the other lot support the woke, Taliban, lesbian, benefits scroungers, EU, but they hate our boys and the queen. (Or words to that effect).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Which one is it? 

Avro. I use a service called Flipper that bounces you around energy provider based on the cheapest deal, and Avro have been the bargain basement lads for the last 18 months or so. 

Their customer service is fucking dismal - they don't even have a phone number you can ring - but if you're with Flipper it doesn't matter cos you just ring them and they deal with your supplier for you. 

Anyway, I was talking to the lad at Flipper earlier, and he was saying he reckons we're gonna go from about 50 energy suppliers to somewhere around 10. I was asking what that meant for his job, and he didn't sound too confident. 

49 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Is it just me, or does all this coming down the line remind anyone of Lloyd's taking over HBOS then the government having to step in and nationalise everything?.... :cuppa:

6 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Just switched from them. Transfer went through on Sunday and explains why the haven’t responded to when I get the £120 they owe me.

I know I’ll get it eventually though.

Shame you switched cos the way the Ofgem deal works, your credit balance just auto transfers to your new provider. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

Shame you switched cos the way the Ofgem deal works, your credit balance just auto transfers to your new provider. 

I switched about a month ago as they advised me my deal was ending (it was a cracking deal), and it just finalised on Sunday.

A month ago I didn’t know they were going to all stop toppling.

Now just waiting for the smart meters and in home display so I can be the dad from hell :lol:

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Smart meters are fucking horseshit. I got one years ago when I was with Ovo, but as soon as I was no longer with Ovo, it couldn't be used by any other provider. Apparently there's new tech on the way to fix this. 

Smart techs already here. Smet2. That’s all that’s getting installed now.