Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Smart meters are fucking horseshit. I got one years ago when I was with Ovo, but as soon as I was no longer with Ovo, it couldn't be used by any other provider. Apparently there's new tech on the way to fix this. 

We had to have one fitted by EDF as we had to move both meters during renovation. EDF now refuse to acknowledge they are smart meters (they are) and we still have to do manual readings. Aren't you supposed to get a console or something as well to show your usage? We never have. Fucking useless. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/22/labour-will-build-a-better-britain-for-working-people

Keir has spoken to the country and come up with the following:

1 - Tax hikes bad, Labour will reverse.

2 - Decentralise power - bizarrely linked to Brexit.

3 - Waffle about providing opportunity.

This is his bid to win over the right leaning middle, I assume. Unimaginative, obvious, and devoid of any meaningful vision or strategy. Nothing to get excited about.

But who knows, maybe full bodied beige is the way to victory.

19 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

I switched about a month ago as they advised me my deal was ending (it was a cracking deal), and it just finalised on Sunday.

A month ago I didn’t know they were going to all stop toppling.

Now just waiting for the smart meters and in home display so I can be the dad from hell :lol:

If anyone can spot a cracking deal, it’s you

• Haha 3

On 21/09/2021 at 19:21, Alex said:

Global energy problem where we are going to pay a lot more than the rest of EUROPE? 

We were supposedly immune to global price rises in a 2015 Ofgem report, they said we had 60-70% excess storage capacity so stated threat from market volatility was "minimal" .

2017 Government gave permission to Centrica to cut costs and to improve shareholder returns by decommissioning 70% of that storage capacity,

and here we are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

We were supposedly immune to global price rises in a 2015 Ofgem report, they said we had 60-70% excess storage capacity so stated threat from market volatility was "minimal" .

2017 Government gave permission to Centrica to cut costs and to improve shareholder returns by decommissioning 70% of that storage capacity,

It's fucking insane to pursue a policy of renewable energy (which is intermittent) without adequate stores of gas to use as a baseline. We have 6 days storage, typically countries on the continent have several months worth. I also read that CO2 is required in some of our operational nuclear plants meaning they could have to shut down if CO2 remains in short supply. Meaning the American CO2 producers have us by the short and curlies for both our food and energy production. The shit is well and truly going to hit the fan this winter. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

You really have to give credit to the power of the message that the Tories are the boys to trust when they patently aren't yet here we are. It's not even a modern phenomenon as they sold everything off years ago but the same cunts will vote them in as a few scare stories, a few union jack/our boys patter, a few Hamas/PLO/IRA terrorist sympathisers tales, anti-royal communists craic etc, etc is all it takes, absolutely nailed on to convince over half of England that they're the party for me, and no mistake! We're fucked for now, I just hope the shit sandwich we're going to be served will wake enough dinosaurs up where it makes a difference to the vote. 

• Like 5

Tbh I’ve learned the hard way the last few years that the left is largely populated by complete fucking idiots who couldn’t lie straight in bed. 

Whilst the Tories dip their hands in the till the left are perpetually stuck in the life of brian sketch with all the different splinter groups.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Tbh I’ve learned the hard way the last few years that the left is largely populated by complete fucking idiots who couldn’t lie straight in bed. 

Whilst the Tories dip their hands in the till the left are perpetually stuck in the life of brian sketch with all the different splinter groups.

It does my head in and I've got to physically stop myself rolling my eyes when my newly politicised OH goes all uber LW Corbynista on me. (And I recognised his good points but she thinks I'm pro-starmer, (I'm not particularly, I just want a labour government).

File:Simpsons Monkey Knife Fight meme 4.jpg

I suspect it's really the left versus the centre (broadly) - doomed to do this for years on end without realising that they're not going to get anywhere without each other. And the Lib Dems. And the SNP. And the Greens. Labour as a viable party for winning power in its own right is done, it's been too rife with turmoil for the better part of a decade now and that has splintered its support.

Starmer is not the messiah establishment Labour thought he'd be and I don't think we need to wait another 3 years and watch him doom us to a further 5 at the hands of the Tories, to be able to see that. We need establishment (New) Labour and Momentum Labour to both recognise that they are living anachronisms and completely irrelevant. And to start over from there.

• Like 1

I think the tories are fucked personally. There's every indication that this winter is going to be the biggest shit sandwich ever. I don't think people are going to ignore this. Also, it's obvious the tories are now suffering similar problems to Labour with the split in their base. Johnson can't please both the red and blue walls, it's a circle that can't be squared.

But honestly, the country is fucked now for a generation. Government is now a poisoned chalice. My advice is protect yourselves and your families as best you can and let the tories get on with owning this. Just hope there is something left on the other side. 

• Like 1