Politics

Christmas Tree

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

I saw something on Twitter earlier which sounds plausible given Johnson’s previous form. If the 1922 Committee change the rules and there’s a vote of no confidence which he loses - he’ll do the following: instead of going he’ll call a general election and seek to deselect the MPs who voted against him. I’m not sure if he needs a vote in Parliament to do that. I know the fixed term Parliament act was superseded. In any case the opposition would vote for it so it wouldn’t require much support in his own party. 

I think the power to call a GE lies entirely with the PM as things stand. If he were to go down this route I don't think he'd even wait for a VONC, he'd pre-empt it with a GE announcement.

However, I don't think he can de-select candidates personally, that would be decided by CCHQ. It really would be the nuclear option for him to do so but would lead to general hilarity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

But wouldn't deselectionbe a matter for consitiuencies? Although I remember he was successful purging the party last time. 

He removed the whip from them pre-election IIRC meaning they weren't able to be considered candidates in the upcoming GE. 

There's so much sewage gone under the bridge since then I forgot they did that purge. So not only do a considerable amount of his parliamentary party have no confidence in him, it's a parliamentary party that he'd already in a sense 'cleansed' of those who were against him. 

People have in the past argued that Thatcher and Blair became almost 'presidential', neither of them had fuck all on this clown.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

You don’t want that on your browser history man! 
Just ask the Mrs next time :lol:

This just come up on my work Google search engine. Why do we enable the likes of MF?

DELETE!.png

• Haha 5

Sky's political editor, Beth Rigby, has spoken to a 'loyal' cabinet minister.

They've told her: "The game is up, this is not survivable. 

"I can't see lasting the day and those suggesting he stays on not doing him any favours.

"I'm in the trenches with him, but we're outgunned, out manoeuvred & out of ammunition."

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

Reckon he has it in him to quit?

Nah. He's absolutely deluded.

No doubt the wench will be cuddling him soon giving him some bitty to cheer him up

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Nah. He's absolutely deluded.

No doubt the wench will be cuddling him soon giving him some bitty to cheer him up

Someone on the radio said he will fight another VONC. I doubt he'd go if he loses, the fact he is now banging on about "the mandate of the people" suggests he will go nuclear to me. Hopefully the collateral damage outside the tory party will be limited, but I hope he takes every tory cunt down with him. 

6 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Reckon he has it in him to quit?

Absolutely not, but without a cabinet he'll be fucked. Every single one of them was squirming on the front bench today. Raab clearly looked like he'd shit himself. They all know the game is up and will be telling him that this afternoon if they've anything about them.