Politics

Christmas Tree

I guarantee that you'r average worker will have a better lifestyle in 2015 that his 2005 equivalent.

:lol:

The price of most things have sky rocketed way above inflation this last decade and more but wages have not. In ten years time my income which is stretched is going to have cope with a daughter who'll hopefully be at university with another three years behind her. My wages will not be rising in line with everything else and have not for years already. You don't have to be fucking Carol Vorderman, (Still would, no danger as it happens), to work out you'll be worse off.

Which new schemes and what are the figures?

I was posing the questions to why GDP isn't increasing if unemployment is falling as a point of discussion. I'm not an expert on the DSS and I'm not into your googling games, although this was the first hit I found when I tried: ;) Tory paper too. I've also heard a lot on TV about job creation schemes and my nephew gets paid next to nothing as an apprentice. It isn't a real job although obviously I hope he gets something out of it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9257617/Job-creation-scheme-costing-taxpayer-up-to-200000-per-new-post.html

Then why is there a boom in food banks?

Or do only those who work count?

BTW do you think the rich have accepted that their lifestyle will stagnate which of course it wont.

:lol:

The price of most things have sky rocketed way above inflation this last decade and more but wages have not. In ten years time my income which is stretched is going to have cope with a daughter who'll hopefully be at university with another three years behind her. My wages will not be rising in line with everything else and have not for years already. You don't have to be fucking Carol Vorderman, (Still would, no danger as it happens), to work out you'll be worse off.

In 2005 Labour had just introduced tuition fees (even though they promised not too) so you would have them to fork out back then. At least now your daughter doesnt need the cash up front and isnt as reliant on you as she would have been 10 years ago.

(All that said I feel your pain :lol: Good job you got that mortgage paid off! )

I was posing the questions to why GDP isn't increasing if unemployment is falling as a point of discussion. I'm not an expert on the DSS and I'm not into your googling games, although this was the first hit I found when I tried: ;) Tory paper too. I've also heard a lot on TV about job creation schemes and my nephew gets paid next to nothing as an apprentice. It isn't a real job although obviously I hope he gets something out of it.

http://www.telegraph...r-new-post.html

Re read your post. It was a statement of fact not a question.

Re read your post. It was a statement of fact not a question.

I originally said this:

"If unemployment is really falling, as in people getting proper jobs and not pointless schemes (which I admit every government since Thatcher has done), then why is GDP not correspondingly increasing? It's a fair question".

I later said this, after you refused to discuss the point: "Yes, but the government has created new schemes".

This is factually true so what's your point? Or are you deliberately avoidng the point?

I originally said this:

"If unemployment is really falling, as in people getting proper jobs and not pointless schemes (which I admit every government since Thatcher has done), then why is GDP not correspondingly increasing? It's a fair question".

I later said this, after you refused to discuss the point: "Yes, but the government has created new schemes".

This is factually true so what's your point? Or are you deliberately avoidng the point?

Nice quick save :lol:

No good asking me to explain why the economy is poor yet jobs are going up. Im sure the experts are working on it although it will probably be something to do with wage freezes allowing companies to take extra people on.

1. All politicians are opportunistic.

2. The social contract probably didnt forsee people on £100,000 a year or more getting handouts.

3. The austerity policies from both parties at the last general election were virtually identical.

not true. brown's whole election pitch was about not cutting as quickly or as aggressively as the tories. he said it would result in a double dip recession and it did.

So three predictable things happened in the political world today.

• We entered a triple dip recession.
  • Gideon stated that he would not change course despite warnings from the chief economist of the IMF (see http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-21198191).
  • CT didn't post this.

Stopped at 1.

Get your facts right ;)

Now you're just being pedantic. We've probably entered a triple dip recession although by definition that cannot be known until the next quarter - I'm willing to bet you we have though.

But that's besides the point. One 0.3% either side of 0.0 is neither here nor there, the point is the economy is not growing and now the deficit is not decreasing, whilst the overall debt is balooning. The IMF are saying this is because the austerity measures are too severe, and even Clegg and Gideon himself have made admissions to this, not that it will change his idiotic "plan A or bust" dogmatically driven policy.

Where did I accuse others of falsifying figures btw?

bojo speaking some sense - albeit rather cynically. you might say he's judging public opinion on austerity well or you could argue he's pitching himself as an alternative tory leader that does recognise the need for a plan b.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/25/boris-johnson-criticises-osborne-austerity

Boris Johnson urges Osborne to drop 'hair-shirt' agenda for UK economy

London mayor tells Davos audience that it is time for chancellor to 'junk rhetoric of austerity' and boost confidence and spending

Boris-Johnson-London-mayo-010.jpg

Boris Johnson, London's mayor, says: 'We need investment in housing and transport – things that make a big difference.' Photograph: Carl Court/AFP/Getty

Boris Johnson has called on the government to drop its "hair-shirt, Stafford Cripps" agenda as he outlined a seven-point growth plan for London involving building thousands of new homes and investment in major infrastructure projects.

Speaking at a British business lunch in Davos on Friday shortly after the release of figures showing the economy was again contracting, the mayor of London said it was time to "junk the rhetoric of austerity" and instead take steps to boost confidence and spending.

Johnson was critical of some of the gloomy talk coming out of the Bank of England and said the language of cuts was "not terribly useful in this sort of climate". He urged counter-cyclical measures that would work against the trends depressing activity.

"There is huge potential in the UK. It is important we have the spirit of confidence. Some of the mutterings from Threadneedle Street are not the stuff to give the troops."

He added: "We need investment in housing and transport, things that make a big difference."

Johnson said he supported George Osborne's deficit-reduction strategy, but said savings could be made in some parts of government that could be spent elsewhere on growth-friendly projects.

"But the hair-shirt, Stafford Cripps agenda is not the way to get Britain moving again," he said. Cripps, the chancellor between 1947 and 1950, used taxes and rationing to limit consumption as the UK tried to rebuild its economy after the second world war.

Johnson said he would be shortly be publishing his seven-point vision for how the economy of London should look by 2020. "It is a manifesto for my friends at the Treasury who hold the purse strings," he said.

The mayor's new economic adviser, Gerard Lyons, has been working on the proposals, which Johnson said involved:

• Building hundreds of thousands of new homes

• Investing in road and rail infrastructure, including Thames crossings and a second Crossrail

• Boosting London's growth industries such as financial services and the startups clustered in Tech City (the technology hub centred around Old Street)

• Combating illiteracy and increasing the number of apprenticeships

• Maintaining low and stable tax rates

• Making London open to the rest of the world through a "sensible visa" policy and a new airport

• Changing the language of the economic debate.

The mayor was scathing about the lack of progress in providing London with extra airport capacity, saying: "I can't frankly understand the panda-like pace at which the government is addressing this problem."

He re-iterated his opposition to a third runway being built at Heathrow airport, saying extra demand would mean a fourth would be needed by the time the new capacity was ready by 2026 or 2028.

Johnson said this would be "an environmental catastrophe for London" and said development should take place either at Stansted airport or at one of two sites in the Thames estuary. "The proposition of expansion at Heathrow is a delusion and a disaster."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/27/uk-immigration-romania-bulgaria-ministers

Immigration: Romanian or Bulgarian? You won't like it here

Ministers consider launching negative ad campaign in two countries to persuade potential immigrants to stay away from UK

Ministers consider plan to discourage immigration that would focus on the downsides of British life – such as rain and a lack of jobs. Photograph: Rex Features

Please don't come to Britain – it rains and the jobs are scarce and low-paid. Ministers are considering launching a negative advertising campaign in Bulgaria and Romania to persuade potential immigrants to stay away from the UK.

The plan, which would focus on the downsides of British life, is one of a range of potential measures to stem immigration to Britain next year when curbs imposed on both country's citizens living and working in the UK will expire.

:lol: And if that doesn't work we'll turn off the lights and pretend we're not in.

Alternatively we could stop giving benefits or free medical treatment to anyone who isn't a UK national - though I suppose they'd just hang around until they got UK citizenship anyways.

Maybe a better idea would be that all immigrants could take part in a 'Running Man' style show where survivors get to stay in the UK