Politics

Christmas Tree

40 minutes ago, Alex said:

Every same person knows what it is but, as we’ve been through, you can’t allow the GE campaign to be about Brexit again if you’re Labour. As for another term of the Tories being a favourable option, that’s effectively another 7 years of the stripping away of rights etc. Fuck that fucking shit. Things can get a lot worse than this. 

Yeah, on balance this, although I sympathise with Songebob and Rayvin's view. Check out the link I made just above, then tell me what will we have left after 7 years?

• Like 1

I totally get where both Rayvin and SpongeBob are coming from. But all I can envisage is a further shift towards fascism and all pervasive culture of lies with another term of the Conservatives in power. I don’t see how we get back from that. I mean we can but you’re talking about writing off a generation at that stage. 

26 minutes ago, Alex said:

I totally get where both Rayvin and SpongeBob are coming from. But all I can envisage is a further shift towards fascism and all pervasive culture of lies with another term of the Conservatives in power. I don’t see how we get back from that. I mean we can but you’re talking about writing off a generation at that stage. 

We’re not far off that now tbh. No way we can allow those fuckwits another term in power. It can get a lot worse than it currently is.

I don't disagree about a lost generation and the importance of getting the Tories out of power. I just cannot make myself believe that the only way Labour can proceed here is to become complicit in Brexit, which is exactly what they will become, and actively trying to enable the most dangerous and damaging political outcome in living memory. A Labour Brexit doesn't get better, it just gets worse slower.

So either way, we're saying that whether it's the Tories or Labour, we're heading into a worse position. That we all have to accept this. To me, that is utterly crackers.

The issue isn't even Brexit, it's that we have reached a stage as a society where it is impossible to have an honest conversation about the actual factors that determine how our country runs and what it is impacted by. If it isn't possible for us to do that, what is the fucking point in any of this? We're saying there are huge policy areas which cannot be talked about and just have to be accepted while we move deckchairs around elsewhere hoping for the best. You're talking about this lost generation as if it hasn't already happened. It has. Nothing Labour is going to do will change that. We will be unfucking this for the rest of our lives, and at some stage, there is going to have to be that honest conversation otherwise nothing ever gets learned.

The truth is the only thing that can lead to the changes we need to prevent this shit happening again - we need media standards on misinformation. Standards of behaviour for politicians. Constitutional protections for institutions. Voting reform. Investment in civic education. Long term planning baked into political mindsets. Until we get these things, this fucking charade from the Tories and Labour's decision to play along with it is fundamentally damaging this country for the long term. We talk here as if it is simply an unavoidable fact that Brexit cannot be discussed in terms of its realities because of the political climate, but I put to you instead that the truth is more that Labour simply doesn't have the creativity, vision or balls to win while taking it head on.

That's what I find so objectionable. This is not a strong Labour party, it's a weak one that we're trying to big up out of desperation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I don't disagree about a lost generation and the importance of getting the Tories out of power. I just cannot make myself believe that the only way Labour can proceed here is to become complicit in Brexit, which is exactly what they will become, and actively trying to enable the most dangerous and damaging political outcome in living memory. A Labour Brexit doesn't get better, it just gets worse slower.

So either way, we're saying that whether it's the Tories or Labour, we're heading into a worse position. That we all have to accept this. To me, that is utterly crackers.

The issue isn't even Brexit, it's that we have reached a stage as a society where it is impossible to have an honest conversation about the actual factors that determine how our country runs and what it is impacted by. If it isn't possible for us to do that, what is the fucking point in any of this? We're saying there are huge policy areas which cannot be talked about and just have to be accepted while we move deckchairs around elsewhere hoping for the best. You're talking about this lost generation as if it hasn't already happened. It has. Nothing Labour is going to do will change that. We will be unfucking this for the rest of our lives, and at some stage, there is going to have to be that honest conversation otherwise nothing ever gets learned.

The truth is the only thing that can lead to the changes we need to prevent this shit happening again - we need media standards on misinformation. Standards of behaviour for politicians. Constitutional protections for institutions. Voting reform. Investment in civic education. Long term planning baked into political mindsets. Until we get these things, this fucking charade from the Tories and Labour's decision to play along with it is fundamentally damaging this country for the long term. We talk here as if it is simply an unavoidable fact that Brexit cannot be discussed in terms of its realities because of the political climate, but I put to you instead that the truth is more that Labour simply doesn't have the creativity, vision or balls to win while taking it head on.

That's what I find so objectionable. This is not a strong Labour party, it's a weak one that we're trying to big up out of desperation.

My thoughts exactly

35 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

If Labour can't win the argument that these border delays are caused by brexit then they don't deserve to be in power. They  don't have to say they are undoing it or are rejoining, but if they can't explain the problem they won't be able to fix it

As I've said before they can't /won't fix it or anything else as once in power you have to appease the people who put you there ahead of anything that's right. 

Even a renegotiated trade deal with the EU would be seen and sold as treason by the press and the tories. 

• Like 2

I’m still hoping for an electoral pact and / or an agreement on PR without a referendum. Probably in vain but that’s that’s the only way out of the mess long term. As Meenzer often points out we consistently get 60% of people voting for progressive parties. Yet we almost always get Conservative governments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

If Labour can't win the argument that these border delays are caused by brexit then they don't deserve to be in power. They  don't have to say they are undoing it or are rejoining, but if they can't explain the problem they won't be able to fix it

They don't deserve to be in power. But the alternative is so much worse. You have a sense of nihilism that you have nothing to lose. Maybe this is true, but you must consider your kids in this equation. The idea of Truss in power for 7 years makes me feel almost suicidal. 

Fwiw I think labour will change in power, the changing demographics will demand it. We'll be back in the SM in a decade or so, maybe a bit longer, by which time we will be a bit of a basket case. By then though the existential threat of climate change will have results none of us can yet foresee. 

Always take the least worse option at any given time. That's my brand of pragmatism. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Renton said:

They don't deserve to be in power. But the alternative is so much worse. You have a sense of nihilism that you have nothing to lose. Maybe this is true, but you must consider your kids in this equation. The idea of Truss in power for 7 years makes me feel almost suicidal. 

Fwiw I think labour will change in power, the changing demographics will demand it. We'll be back in the SM in a decade or so, maybe a bit longer, by which time we will be a bit of a basket case. By then though the existential threat of climate change will have results none of us can yet foresee. 

Always take the least worse option at any given time. That's my brand of pragmatism. 

I thought this way for the longest time but I fear Starmer won't turn the country round, it will just get worse a bit slower.

If  Labour get into power without facing the truth, winning the argument and implementing an agenda that actually makes people's lives better, then the party will be dead. They will get the blame for the shitstorm that is coming. It won't be fair but they will deserve it. I doubt Labour will win an election again

If they can't win the argument and they lose the election the shit will be on the Tories, and Labour can remind them at every turn.

We cant turn the country round without being honest about the problems

I'm not saying rejoin the EU btw,even I don't think that's arguable now, but that should be long term aim, secretly if necessary. But for now it's impossible for Labour to government successfully without being honest about the problems

Look at the US, Biden got in purely by not being Trump, he's done nothing to make anybodies life better and the Republicans are going to charge back into power and carry on destroying the country

Tl;Dr we are fucked either way, but if Labour get in without a plan we are fucked forever

• Like 1

On 21/07/2022 at 10:41, ewerk said:

Even better, she reckons that tax cuts will grow the economy AND lower inflation. When asked which economist supported that idea her answer was of course 'Patrick Minford'.

Oh…

image.png.438d257050080e083cc593c9db4f0384.png

it’s like how people use the word do-gooder as an insult. Always found that one odd. 

look at that awful person, trying to do good things. How low can you get?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it’s like how people use the word do-gooder as an insult. Always found that one odd. 

look at that awful person, trying to do good things. How low can you get?

Ah, good old LeazesMag…

Worst are those good-doing accountants. 

• Like 1