Politics

Christmas Tree

On 15/09/2022 at 08:40, Renton said:

Yeah, the poor bankers are only allowed bonuses which are 200% of their salary under EU rules. Now that we've left, the first tangible "benefit" of Brexit (besides the freedom to pump shit in our rivers) is to scrap this.

I actually don't get it, the optics are unreally bad. You've got to assume they have given up hope on winning another term and are going scorched Earth? 

It’s an absolute gift for Labour and will make very little difference for bankers.

When the cap was brought in, the majority of banks hiked fixed salaries so the proportion of fixed to variable comp increased. It in no way curbed total comp, it just shifted the fixed/variable mix. They aren’t going to cut fixed comp so this will make sod all difference, apart from giving Labour yet another stick to beat the Tories with, which I’m all in favour of.

9 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

It’s an absolute gift for Labour and will make very little difference for bankers.

When the cap was brought in, the majority of banks hiked fixed salaries so the proportion of fixed to variable comp increased. It in no way curbed total comp, it just shifted the fixed/variable mix. They aren’t going to cut fixed comp so this will make sod all difference, apart from giving Labour yet another stick to beat the Tories with, which I’m all in favour of.

As iirc you are employed in this field, are their actually bankers who are so good at their jobs that they are head hunted by top banks? What type of skillset would that be, someone amazing at maths, or perhaps just a consummate bull shitter?

I think bonuses should always just be extras, so people aren't incentivised to take reckless levels of risk. 200% seems insane enough to me. Ours is capped at 15%.  

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

As iirc you are employed in this field, are their actually bankers who are so good at their jobs that they are head hunted by top banks? What type of skillset would that be, someone amazing at maths, or perhaps just a consummate bull shitter?

I think bonuses should always just be extras, so people aren't incentivised to take reckless levels of risk. 200% seems insane enough to me. Ours is capped at 15%.  

My only experience of it was when I worked at the German Bank. We got a new general manager who went out and "signed" this superstar who was supposedly a sort of Beckham level star in banking. He could basically write his own terms. This was about 2007 and after it went semi tits up that year he supposedly boosted the profits by about 40m (Usual profits for the branch were about 120m) just before year end to "save" the year. 

I think he left either before or after the crash and I have no idea how much he was paid but there are stars out there.

I have a feeling its based on networks and contacts rather than mathematical genius - I have met some successful ones who were like that but this bloke was a different level to that. 

BTW the biggest bonususe I and other non-front office peasants get is 20% if we're very lucky - I think I got that once. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, strawb said:

You must be the youngest couple in a 10 mile radius 

Yeah, loads of older people but plenty of younger folk circling like vultures for property. Long standing rumour that if Stockport gets the Tram, it'll go past Bramhall to Wilmslow. If true, house prices will go crazy(er).

There's a house across the way from us, massive thing. Bloke lives alone, must be in his 70s. The wifey that runs the coffeeshop says they've had a few people in there asking about it already. Fucking ghouls. A top floor 2 bed apartment was on the market for £750k(!), so God only knows what that place will go for. Probably knock it down and build 4-5 'detached' houses on the same plot. 

I'm going to get the Mrs to make friends with the old fella so we can get it at a knockdown price...

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

A top floor 2 bed apartment was on the market for £750k(!),

:lol: I'm hoping a return to normal interest rates might at least put an end to some of the more ridiculous asking prices out there. I've learned not to rely on any kind of sanity where the housing market is concerned though.

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Nope, there is nothing remarkable about any of the people I work with. They are, for the large part, utterly mediocre. It’s just full of people who are good at office politics and people who accept that there is a large amount of sacrifice (in terms of your personal life) that goes with the job.

I just do it because I have no other discernable skills to apply in a more worthwhile job.

The smartest people I ever worked with were for a media company before I sold out.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

:lol: I'm hoping a return to normal interest rates might at least put an end to some of the more ridiculous asking prices out there. I've learned not to rely on any kind of sanity where the housing market is concerned though.

It's madness, at the same time that was available for 3/4 of a million pounds sterling, you could buy a 5 bed detached house on the same road for about £100k less. It's not even like that apartment is in a high rise with great views, I think it's a 4 storey building. No property information here but; Property valuation for Apartment 9, The Sortings, 16, Maple Road, Bramhall, Stockport, Greater Manchester, SK7 2DJ | The Move Market

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It's madness, at the same time that was available for 3/4 of a million pounds sterling, you could buy a 5 bed detached house on the same road for about £100k less. It's not even like that apartment is in a high rise with great views, I think it's a 4 storey building. No property information here but; Property valuation for Apartment 9, The Sortings, 16, Maple Road, Bramhall, Stockport, Greater Manchester, SK7 2DJ | The Move Market

Leasehold as well. You don't even get to own a piece of England. 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, loads of older people but plenty of younger folk circling like vultures for property. Long standing rumour that if Stockport gets the Tram, it'll go past Bramhall to Wilmslow. If true, house prices will go crazy(er).

There's a house across the way from us, massive thing. Bloke lives alone, must be in his 70s. The wifey that runs the coffeeshop says they've had a few people in there asking about it already. Fucking ghouls. A top floor 2 bed apartment was on the market for £750k(!), so God only knows what that place will go for. Probably knock it down and build 4-5 'detached' houses on the same plot. 

I'm going to get the Mrs to make friends with the old fella so we can get it at a knockdown price...

I know Bramhall quite well, do some work for a bloke who lives there and regularly go for a walk round the hall and gardens.

Its always been posh, but it’s Cheshire really not Manchester.

9 hours ago, Renton said:

It's all becoming clear now. Liz Truss is an activated sleeper unit whose mission is to take down the tory party and the monarchy. She's already taken down the Queen, stage one complete. 

She should also win an oscar for her portrayal as an incompetent twat

25 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

More places for the tories and their fuckin bent mates to launder their filthy ill gotten gains?  My man Kwasi K has got your back :cuppa:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/18/kwasi-kwarteng-to-announce-network-of-low-tax-investment-zones?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Planning regulations will be relaxed

Fuck me, the utter fucking dross we build in this country you would be surprised we had an fucking planning laws.

• Like 2

You can see how stupid Truss is when she's being told that the way to kick-start the economy is to demolish workers' rights, as if when an election comes along you can point to an uptick in the economy and convince the people whose working lives you've turned upside down that it was all worth it. 

Bitch, people don't care about growth figures if their lives are demonstrably worse. 

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

You can see how stupid Truss is when she's being told that the way to kick-start the economy is to demolish workers' rights, as if when an election comes along you can point to an uptick in the economy and convince the people whose working lives you've turned upside down that it was all worth it. 

Bitch, people don't care about growth figures if their lives are demonstrably worse. 

Also there is no way this lunacy will help growth in that time frame. Also doubt this will counteract the effect of our self imposed trade barriers. Don't forget every UK port is effectively a free port for the EU now,with no tariffs applied or any regulation checked. Guess labelling in imperial will put a lot of foreign exporters off though.

• Like 2