Politics

Christmas Tree

When you’ve got labour shortages, low wages, high inflation etc., how the fuck is making people’s working conditions worse likely to improve productivity or attract people to join a company / organisation?  When this doesn’t work expect to see Truss in Kyiv every other week cosplaying Thatcher. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

When you’ve got labour shortages, low wages, high inflation etc., how the fuck is making people’s working conditions worse likely to improve productivity or attract people to join a company / organisation?  When this doesn’t work expect to see Truss in Kyiv every other week cosplaying Thatcher. 

Yeah, good point t about the labour shortages, nothing is being done to address that. Pretty soon these shortages will be worse as UK workers leave for Poland to pick fruit, the way things are going. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

You can see how stupid Truss is when she's being told that the way to kick-start the economy is to demolish workers' rights, as if when an election comes along you can point to an uptick in the economy and convince the people whose working lives you've turned upside down that it was all worth it. 

Bitch, people don't care about growth figures if their lives are demonstrably worse. 

Their voter base is retirees who enjoy inflicting pain on workers out of bitterness based on their shit lives - that's how it'll work. 

• Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 16:49, strawb said:

I know Bramhall quite well, do some work for a bloke who lives there and regularly go for a walk round the hall and gardens.

Its always been posh, but it’s Cheshire really not Manchester.

Where abouts? Don't suppose you fancy doing some roofing at mates rates? Sister-in-Law is buying a house here and the survey said the roof will need doing soon, the boiler need replacing and there's no electrical certificate. I've told her this is likely just the surveyor covering their arse, but... y'know.... wimmin

BAck to politics, Bramhall has gone Lib Dem for the first time in fucking ages, so if even Cheshire are turning against the Tories, who knows?

2 minutes ago, NJS said:

Their voter base is retirees who enjoy inflicting pain on workers out of bitterness based on their shit lives - that's how it'll work. 

Is that voter base really big enough? Also plenty of people sioners don't vote tory, none of my family do.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Where abouts? Don't suppose you fancy doing some roofing at mates rates? Sister-in-Law is buying a house here and the survey said the roof will need doing soon, the boiler need replacing and there's no electrical certificate. I've told her this is likely just the surveyor covering their arse, but... y'know.... wimmin

BAck to politics, Bramhall has gone Lib Dem for the first time in fucking ages, so if even Cheshire are turning against the Tories, who knows?

Uncle got 3 quotes for a new roof on his bungalow this year, cheapest was still 40k. This is Glasgow. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, good point t about the labour shortages, nothing is being done to address that. Pretty soon these shortages will be worse as UK workers leave for Poland to pick fruit, the way things are going. 

I think a brain drain is inevitable. If I was in my 20s I would be looking to move abroad. 

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

More places for the tories and their fuckin bent mates to launder their filthy ill gotten gains?  My man Kwasi K has got your back :cuppa:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/18/kwasi-kwarteng-to-announce-network-of-low-tax-investment-zones?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

So basically the Chancellor is going to announce a budget with massive tax cuts and sweeping deregulation. But he’s not calling it a budget but a fiscal event so he doesn’t have to get the OBR to review any of it. 

He’s also doing it on Friday, the last day before Parliament rises for three weeks so the lot of them can go on the piss during conference season. This of course follows nearly two weeks of not sitting because of the Queen.

So much for scrutiny, eh?

• Like 2
  • Jaysus... 1

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So basically the Chancellor is going to announce a budget with massive tax cuts and sweeping deregulation. But he’s not calling it a budget but a fiscal event so he doesn’t have to get the OBR to review any of it. 

He’s also doing it on Friday, the last day before Parliament rises for three weeks so the lot of them can go on the piss during conference season. This of course follows nearly two weeks of not sitting because of the Queen.

So much for scrutiny, eh?

If only we had a head of them who could do something about it

23 minutes ago, The Fish said:

When I say work, I mean “work” I don’t use tools anymore. I sit behind a desk looking at drawings.

I do know a very good and affordable roofer though, he did mine for mates rates but he would still be cheaper than most.

I know a good gas fitter too, if you want numbers DM me

• Like 1

If you live somewhere like the east end of Newcastle and you don't know any contacts for anything trade related like the fish's needs then it's the same as admitting you don't like a pint or football in as much as blokes would raise an eyebrow and would secretly think you've dipped one toe in the wrong'un sea. I can't speak for Seaton Sluice. :lol:

• Haha 3

It was reported earlier today on bbc news that the UK is not even close to arranging talks over any form of trade deal with the US. Liz Truss meanwhile is talking about ‘tearing up the Northern Ireland protocol’. I’m honestly beginning to wonder if she really is too stupid to join the dots 

• Like 3

Aye, and I see the narrative from Labour was the lack of a deal was some kind of disaster, presumably full well knowing:

1) Any deal would be ruinous for UK farmers.

2) It would make rejoining the single market impossible.

3) it's only estimated to be worth a poxy 0.2% GDP anyway.

There is no honesty with either party when it comes to anything Brexit related and it's fucking sickening. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Renton said:

Aye, and I see the narrative from Labour was the lack of a deal was some kind of disaster, presumably full well knowing:

1) Any deal would be ruinous for UK farmers.

2) It would make rejoining the single market impossible.

3) it's only estimated to be worth a poxy 0.2% GDP anyway.

There is no honesty with either party when it comes to anything Brexit related and it's fucking sickening. 

Yeah. Ironically this is a good thing. For the reasons you mention and the general lowering of standards it would entail. It’s more that it’s another ‘Brexit benefit’ that can’t be delivered. Re: the lack of honesty, Labour seem to be just sitting on their hands and letting the Tories implode. It’s working I suppose but it’s depressing as fuck given what could and should be exposed in terms of hard truths. Particularly around the economic malaise due to Brexit 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Renton said:

Interesting comment from Biden.

Meanwhile Truss is justifying tax cuts, de facto govenment subsidies to energy businesses making record profits, and saying fairness isn't important. 

Truss has read the room well. The woman is a moron.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/20/liz-truss-urges-world-leaders-to-follow-uk-with-trickle-down-economics

• Like 3