Politics

Christmas Tree

BoE have announced they're 'stepping in to buy government bonds on whatever scale is necessary' in order to stabalise the market. 

In other words the government can't be fucking trusted with the economy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Kwarteng is an exceedingly clever man, his PHD thesis was published as a book and is apparently ,as quite a few very learned people have commented, very good.He’s one of these that us blue collar proles often encounter in the work place though . He’s got the common sense of a fuckin park bench. It would also appear his chain is being completely yanked by the ERG. And they’re the opposite of clever, they’re ideological zealots. He’s probably in thrall to them because of the aforementioned lack of common sense :cuppa:

While in full agreement of the overall thrust of this point, I would like to note that being published is a requirement for PhDs in most places and certainly very normal. It seems to have been published by Cambridge themselves which is again, fairly normal. It does however mean that no commercial publisher that I can see picked it up, and so I would expect that it was published as a formality once they determined to grant him his degree. As such, being published as a book here isn't noteworthy in terms of how academically poignant the work is (although the PhD itself would be).

I note that the PhD is about the debasement of currency in the 1600s. Maybe that's where he's planning to take us back to.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Let me get this right…the UKs central bank have intervened to protect the UKs citizens from the consequences of the actions of the UKs government?…. 🤔

Bingo. And if that's not a sign of the sheer incompetence of those in government, I don't know what is. 

Somehow the right-wing media will spin it to be Starmer's fault though.

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Tory party conference next week 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😆🤣

Yeah, that's why I don't want a recall. I'm genuinely looking forwards to LIz "PORK MARKETS!" Truss's maiden PM speech. :lol:

• Haha 1

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/sep/28/uk-house-prices-predicted-fall-mortgage-interest-rate

House prices predicted to drop 10%. That would be a silver lining for me if I could actually get anyone to give me a mortgage - but since I'm self employed I rather imagine that I'll be priced out by considerations other than actual house price.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

While in full agreement of the overall thrust of this point, I would like to note that being published is a requirement for PhDs in most places and certainly very normal. It seems to have been published by Cambridge themselves which is again, fairly normal. It does however mean that no commercial publisher that I can see picked it up, and so I would expect that it was published as a formality once they determined to grant him his degree. As such, being published as a book here isn't noteworthy in terms of how academically poignant the work is (although the PhD itself would be).

I note that the PhD is about the debasement of currency in the 1600s. Maybe that's where he's planning to take us back to.

There's no requirement for publication following a PhD, but it is normally and I'd go so far to say its expected, especially if the person is staying in academia. In science though it will be a paper in a journal, not a book. Brittania Unchained is utter drivel, and Kwrteng (and Truss) are both co-authors, so he doesn't impress me.

It is a mystery to me though. A lot of this tory intake have excellent qualifications on paper, but appear to be thick as pigshit. Something is going wrong at Oxbridge.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/sep/28/uk-house-prices-predicted-fall-mortgage-interest-rate

House prices predicted to drop 10%. That would be a silver lining for me if I could actually get anyone to give me a mortgage - but since I'm self employed I rather imagine that I'll be priced out by considerations other than actual house price.

Hate to piss on your chips but with interest rates rocketing your affordability criteria will fundamentally wipe out any drops in price. I expect a lot of distressed properties to be mopped up at auction by cash rich tory buy-to-let landlords. Might even be part of the plan. 

• Like 1