Politics

Christmas Tree

Nicky Campbell is now playing a best of Truss reel. She is being slaughtered by every Tom, Dick, and Mike Neville (RIP) out there. I can't see her fighting the next GE, it's only a matter of time before she is binned. Probably before christmas imo. 

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

What was her answer to that? I'd quite like to know.

Anyway, the hilarious thing is I think she went on to local radio to avoid scrutiny but R5 just played it nationally anyway. :lol:

"Interest rates are a matter for the independent Bank of England" was her response. 

She doesn't know what she's doing and she's not capable of the bluster and expert lying of Boris Johnson. They're gonna have to get rid of her. 

No Tory MP listening to this this morning can believe this is a sustainable proposition. 

And Toontastic makes some more predictions about the imminent collapse of a Tory government :lol: 

Maybe you're right. You definitely should be right. But genuinely, I will believe it when I see it - I think they'll give her more than enough rope to ruin the country before they get rid of her.

• Haha 1

Just now, Gemmill said:

"Interest rates are a matter for the independent Bank of England" was her response. 

She doesn't know what she's doing and she's not capable of the bluster and expert lying of Boris Johnson. They're gonna have to get rid of her. 

No Tory MP listening to this this morning can believe this is a sustainable proposition. 

Agreed. But what will happen?. Surely another leadership contest is utterly ridiculous? Apart from anything else, its another couple of months of the country left in limbo whilst we are in the grips of the worst cost of living crisis in memory, during winter, when we are allegedly at war with Russia. The country is fucked, isn't it? 

• Like 1

Just now, Rayvin said:

And Toontastic makes some more predictions about the imminent collapse of a Tory government :lol: 

Maybe you're right. You definitely should be right. But genuinely, I will believe it when I see it - I think they'll give her more than enough rope to ruin the country before they get rid of her.

I don't think they can. Even tories with safe seats will be getting sweaty arses. GOod chance of real civil unrest coming as well imo. It happened under Thatcher for a lot less. 

21 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The thing is these Tory MPs picked her and Sunak knowing there was a very good chance she’d be chosen by the membership. Then they nearly all jumped on the bandwagon when it became apparent she would win. They’re as much to blame as anyone but yet again they’re acting like it’s fuck all to do with them 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Alex said:

The thing is these Tory MPs picked her and Sunak knowing there was a very good chance she’d be chosen by the membership. Then they nearly all jumped on the bandwagon when it became apparent she would win. They’re as much to blame as anyone but yet again they’re acting it’s duck all to do with them 

Yep. But at the same time it's noticeable she had very little support from the tory parliamentary party in the first round, so she was never popular with them. But they've made their bed. 

Just now, Renton said:

I don't think they can. Even tories with safe seats will be getting sweaty arses. GOod chance of real civil unrest coming as well imo. It happened under Thatcher for a lot less. 

IMO they'll ride this out until they're about a year out from the election and then if the polling is broadly the same, bin her in favour of returning Johnson to power. He comes riding back in as a saviour to the country in difficult times (Churchillian), has his past magically purged clean thanks to the intermittent period of Trussonomics and resultant castastrophes, and hits the ground running with a bounce big enough to take them up towards Labour.

Then the full unbridled fury of the Daily Heil will be turned against Starmer and Labour, and we'll be fighting for our lives again. If they bin her now, its too soon for Johnson to come back, and would give him too long in office to make the most of the bounce he'd get (i.e. he'd mess things up and remind everyone how useless he was, the longer he's in office before the GE). And while the longer she's in power, the more damaging it becomes for the country... the good of the country has never stopped the Tories from committing to a particular action in the past. As we all know, we are in this particular dystopian nightmare because resolving an internal conflict within the party was more important to David Cameron than what was right for the country.

The party comes first, always. They will let Truss happen.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

IMO they'll ride this out until they're about a year out from the election and then if the polling is broadly the same, bin her in favour of returning Johnson to power. He comes riding back in as a saviour to the country in difficult times (Churchillian), has his past magically purged clean thanks to the intermittent period of Trussonomics and resultant castastrophes, and hits the ground running with a bounce big enough to take them up towards Labour.

Then the full unbridled fury of the Daily Heil will be turned against Starmer and Labour, and we'll be fighting for our lives again. If they bin her now, its too soon for Johnson to come back, and would give him too long in office to make the most of the bounce he'd get (i.e. he'd mess things up and remind everyone how useless he was, the longer he's in office before the GE). And while the longer she's in power, the more damaging it becomes for the country... the good of the country has never stopped the Tories from committing to a particular action in the past. As we all know, we are in this particular dystopian nightmare because resolving an internal conflict within the party was more important to David Cameron than what was right for the country.

Unfortunately that all seems very plausible 

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Honestly, I'm sick of saying this, ateod the most important thing is what people have in their pockets. People are in the situation now they will literally lose the roof over their heads. This probably is hardly fixable in a decade let alone 2 years. Johnson left office with rthe worst favourability score on record and has more baggage than a Pickford removal lorry. The idea of him (sucessfully) making a come back, unelected by the public,  is insane. You need to see a doctor about your nocturnal enuresis mate. 

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yep. But at the same time it's noticeable she had very little support from the tory parliamentary party in the first round, so she was never popular with them. But they've made their bed. 

They’ve enabled her candidacy in the later rounds though. If she’s so unpopular with them (and was then) why do that? 

Just now, Renton said:

Honestly, I'm sick of saying this, ateod the most important thing is what people have in their pockets. People are in the situation now they will literally lose the roof over their heads. This probably is hardly fixable in a decade let alone 2 years. Johnson left office with rthe worst favourability score on record and has more baggage than a Pickford removal lorry. The idea of him (sucessfully) making a come back, unelected by the public,  is insane. You need to see a doctor about your nocturnal enuresis mate. 

Could you have predicted any of the steps that got us here in 2015? 

Just now, Alex said:

They’ve enabled her candidacy in the later rounds though. If she’s so unpopular with them (and was then) why do that? 

I dunno. I mean the quality of candidates was dire but honestly I though Mordaunt was their best shout, a clean slate and not insane,. so I was surprised they went for Truss. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NJS said:

Hats off to who thought it would be easier for her to face local radio than anyone else - her several newly ripped arseholes say thanks. 

So far R5 have played radio Leeds, Kent, Bristol, and some midlands shithole. It's uncomfortable, like watching the rape scene from the Accused on repeat. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NJS said:

Hats off to who thought it would be easier for her to face local radio than anyone else - her several newly ripped arseholes say thanks. 

Pippa Crerar knew…..after her work exposing the no. 10 parties that got rid of Johnson I don’t think there’s a lot she doesn’t know…

@Renton I just think you're expecting them to panic at this whereas history has shown us that the Tories are more than capable of riding out the storm because they know there are effectively no consequences to them as long as they get it together in time for the GE.

You're right in everything you're saying about the pressures that will be upon people, but when they hold Johnson up against Starmer - Johnson who will be painted as a firefighter, a man who steps up to tackle the big issues, a leader in moments of turmoil (which is very Churchill btw, and entirely what he's leaned into himself in terms of his political character), will the public think "fuck that cretin, he created most of this mess with his Brexit and general incompetence" or will they think "Yeah I mean there was Partygate and he doesn't tell the truth all the time, but he got the big calls right, he was a leader in the Ukraine situation, and he did get Brexit over the line - what we need right now is a leader for a time of crisis"

In other words, will people remember the politics that got us here, or will they remember the personalities. If it's the latter, and I think the Tories might gamble on that, then Labour will not have it so easy.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

@Renton I just think you're expecting them to panic at this whereas history has shown us that the Tories are more than capable of riding out the storm because they know there are effectively no consequences to them as long as they get it together in time for the GE.

You're right in everything you're saying about the pressures that will be upon people, but when they hold Johnson up against Starmer - Johnson who will be painted as a firefighter, a man who steps up to tackle the big issues, a leader in moments of turmoil (which is very Churchill btw, and entirely what he's leaned into himself in terms of his political character), will the public think "fuck that cretin, he created most of this mess with his Brexit and general incompetence" or will they think "Yeah I mean there was Partygate and he doesn't tell the truth all the time, but he got the big calls right, he was a leader in the Ukraine situation, and he did get Brexit over the line - what we need right now is a leader for a time of crisis"

In other words, will people remember the politics that got us here, or will they remember the personalities. If it's the latter, and I think the Tories might gamble on that, then Labour will not have it so easy.

It's not about remembering anything at this point. It's about your standard of living being flushed down the pan. There is literally no way out of that. I'm not sure even Johnson is arrogant enough to come back. I honestly believe he would be the first PM to lose his seat in a GE. 

51 minutes ago, Renton said:

Radio Leeds entry was "Did you sleep well last night Prime Minister?"

Most normal people would have a nervous breakdown under this pressure. And despite knowing how awful that is, I would not feel an ounce of pity for her. Of course, she isn't a normal person. 

• Haha 1