Politics

Christmas Tree

The IFS reckons the government will need to save £60bn a year in order to balance the books. The only way to do that is massive cuts at a time when we’re struggling with over a decade of massive cuts. I think this is based on an unrealistic target of 2.5% economic growth.

This is after Kwarteng’s completely unnecessary £41bn per year package of tax cuts and the energy plan that is going to cost between £50bn to £75bn a year funded by borrowing rather than windfall taxes. The tax cuts which of course are fuelling inflation and causing huge interest rate rises.

So make no mistake, the cuts that are about to come and financial misery for many are absolutely a political choice rather than a financial necessity.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So make no mistake, the cuts that are about to come and financial misery for many are absolutely a political choice rather than a financial necessity.

I would argue that this is always the case with the Tories. They try to make it sound like its just common sense necessity but in reality it's ideology.

Cameron promised to have cleared the national debt by 2015. He didn't, he doubled it. Alarm bells should have rung. But the media was more interested in Milibands ability to eat a bacon sandwich.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Proper sliding doors moment that wasn’t it. Imagine where we’d be now if we’d opted for chaos with Ed 

I always go 1 step back and think the moment was when Ed stabbed David in the back. I'm sure David would have won enough to form a coalition. But even if he didn't he wouldn't have let the 3 quid momentum crew in to elect Corbyn. Without Corbyn, no Brexit. 

Thing is it took one hell of an odd string of events to get us where we are. But here we are anyway. :sad:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I always go 1 step back and think the moment was when Ed stabbed David in the back. I'm sure David would have won enough to form a coalition. But even if he didn't he wouldn't have let the 3 quid momentum crew in to elect Corbyn. Without Corbyn, no Brexit. 

Thing is it took one hell of an odd string of events to get us where we are. But here we are anyway. :sad:

I wonder who was pulling all those strings. 

• Like 1

Go back to Gordon Brown calling a bigot a bigot. Possibly enough to be the difference between a Labour/Liberal coalition instead of the Tories being the biggest party 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Without Corbyn, no Brexit. 

On the basis that only 65-70% of labour voters under Corbyn voted remain?

The heavily pro remain LDs only a couple of percentage points higher.

You hate Corbyn, I get it, but I'm afraid he's not responsible for everything you want him to be.

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Go back to Gordon Brown calling a bigot a bigot. Possibly enough to be the difference between a Labour/Liberal coalition instead of the Tories being the biggest party 

She was a bigot though, tbf to Brown.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

On the basis that only 65-70% of labour voters under Corbyn voted remain?

The heavily pro remain LDs only a couple of percentage points higher.

You hate Corbyn, I get it, but I'm afraid he's not responsible for everything you want him to be.

Brexit was won by a very fine margin. An effective Labour leader with universal appeal could easily have tipped that balance. And that's discounting the fact that we wouldn't have even had a referendum anyway imo. 

Alex is right though, go further back and the actual moment is a mic accidentally left on. Crazy when you think about it. 

Edited by Renton

50 minutes ago, Renton said:

Cameron promised to have cleared the national debt by 2015. He didn't, he doubled it. Alarm bells should have rung. But the media was more interested in Milibands ability to eat a bacon sandwich.

More so their portrayal of him as being just to the right of Trotsky 

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s insane that this was did for Brown, when you look at what’s gone in on the last few encumbent’s tenures. 

Especially since, as you rightly point out, he was being 100% honest. 

• Like 3

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

I wonder if we’d had that Lab/Lib Dem coalition, we’d now have PR in place? 

Very possibly. In an alternate Universe the UK is still a great place I reckon. 

• Haha 2

Fuck did I do? 

Multiversal shenanigans are not my wheelhouse, that was Hugh Everett or Dr Strange. I'm more your street level hero. Think Daredevil, The Punisher, or the man who puts your bins back on your drive out of the way of other pedestrians.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Fuck did I do? 

Multiversal shenanigans are not my wheelhouse, that was Hugh Everett or Dr Strange. I'm more your street level hero. Think Daredevil, The Punisher, or the man who puts your bins back on your drive out of the way of other pedestrians.

Wouldn't that make you Bin Laden

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Wouldn't that make you Bin Laden

Unbelievable, and on the 21 year 1 month anniversary of the attack as well. You people make me vomit.

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Renton said:

Brexit was won by a very fine margin. An effective Labour leader with universal appeal could easily have tipped that balance. And that's discounting the fact that we wouldn't have even had a referendum anyway imo. 

Alex is right though, go further back and the actual moment is a mic accidentally left on. Crazy when you think about it. 

Why wouldn't we have had a referendum if Corbyn hadn't won? He came to leadership after Cameron won with the referendum as a manifesto pledge..

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Fuck did I do? 

Captain Verbose- He’ll drown you in paragraphs when a one-liner would do. 

:lol:

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I wonder if we’d had that Lab/Lib Dem coalition, whether we’d now have PR in place? 

On that basis though, is this not also on Clegg?

It's not all about Labour, there's been a catastrophic failure of vision on the part of UK politicians for many years now. We very much never recovered from losing Blair, frankly.

• Like 1