Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I think Kwasi Kwarteng is about to lose his job. No idea who she'll bring in cos she's alienated most of the party. If she could convince Javid or Sunak, but I think they'll want nowt to do with this. 

It certainly won't be Sunak as he's clearly at odds with her ideological approach to dealing with the economy. If Kwarteng goes I could easily see her giving the gig to a junior minister simply on the grounds he/she believes her bullshit rhetoric.

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Do they think another year or so of this will make their seats safer? 

It’s fucking mental tbh. 

It can hardly get worse for them though so they’ve got little to lose by hanging on in there. Current polling analysis in electoral calculus suggests there’s a 98% chance of Johnson losing his seat. They don’t even give a probability of a Tory majority as it’s less than 1%. They’re not in it for the good of the country so that’s not a consideration 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Craig said:

It certainly won't be Sunak as he's clearly at odds with her ideological approach to dealing with the economy. If Kwarteng goes I could easily see her giving the gig to a junior minister simply on the grounds he/she believes her bullshit rhetoric.

She can't give it to a junior minister, the move needs to be a course corrector that inspires confidence from the markets. She just overruled him for Head of the Treasury cos he wanted to employ someone with no experience. So there's at least some recognition there that further shocks to the market are not OK. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

She can't give it to a junior minister, the move needs to be a course corrector that inspires confidence from the markets. She just overruled him for Head of the Treasury cos he wanted to employ someone with no experience. So there's at least some recognition there that further shocks to the market are not OK. 

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but I still can't dismiss the notion they're on a mission to fuck things up as much as they possibly can whilst they remain in government. 

How far will these cunts have to go before it'll trigger a no-confidence in the government motion? It's clear there's plenty in the parliamentary Tory party who thinks she's off her rocker.

24 minutes ago, Craig said:

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but I still can't dismiss the notion they're on a mission to fuck things up as much as they possibly can whilst they remain in government. 

How far will these cunts have to go before it'll trigger a no-confidence in the government motion? It's clear there's plenty in the parliamentary Tory party who thinks she's off her rocker.

There's money to be made in any firesale

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Craig said:

With the intention on blaming Labour next term you mean? I don't think that will work, they've fucked things up too early in plain sight. 

Just now, Renton said:

With the intention on blaming Labour next term you mean? I don't think that will work, they've fucked things up too early in plain sight. 

I think they're all out of ideas on masking stuff. It's less about blaming Labour and more about not giving them a cat in hell's chance of making the situation more palatable within 1 term. 

I reckon the Tory rhetoric is to plan for a return to power in 2029.

1 minute ago, Craig said:

I think they're all out of ideas on masking stuff. It's less about blaming Labour and more about not giving them a cat in hell's chance of making the situation more palatable within 1 term. 

I reckon the Tory rhetoric is to plan for a return to power in 2029.

Maybe but there is a tipping point where this just will not be feasible. If they go down to double figures in MPs (very possible imo) they'll not be able to come back from that. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Maybe but there is a tipping point where this just will not be feasible. If they go down to double figures in MPs (very possible imo) they'll not be able to come back from that. 

Oh, and how I'd celebrate that. :smile:

That said, the post 2016 Tory Party is far removed from what was there previously. It definitely feels like a massive shift. 

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

Oh, and how I'd celebrate that. :smile:

That said, the post 2016 Tory Party is far removed from what was there previously. It definitely feels like a massive shift. 

They've completely abandoned the cenrtre ground and the notion of one nation conservatism. All the "decent" tories have been expelled. The centre ground is there for Labour to take, and as long as they don't mutate like the tories did, stay there. 

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Sounds like Therese Coffey's morning round went as well as expected.

This extreme liberatarianism she (Truss) is pushing is something else like. We're not the US, it won't work here. 

Edit: I've just let it sink in COffey is the health secretary. :lol:

Can you imagine if we had had these nutters two years ago? They actually make Johnson look good. 

Edited by Renton

1 hour ago, Renton said:

They've completely abandoned the cenrtre ground and the notion of one nation conservatism. All the "decent" tories have been expelled. The centre ground is there for Labour to take, and as long as they don't mutate like the tories did, stay there. 

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Labour did that last time (gain centreground and stick) and still fell away from power in the end. They need to do everything you've outlined here plus PR. I know you're already on board with that but I keep coming back to how important that is to make sure this never happens again. The Tories can never be allowed unchecked power again.

Insane watching this arrogant cunt Kwarteng stood up in the Commons at the minute. You'd think we'd just hit 10% growth. The triumphalist delivery and complete absence of humility. Stick him on the hope he has a massive heart attack list. 

Edited by Gemmill

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I seriously hope they do mutate by the following election though, neoliberal centre  isnt going to fix everything thats been bust.

This country has been pushed to US ideology in the general population for almost a decade - there's so much division, and I dare say hate out there now. Everyone's judging everyone else (me included) by default like we've been conditioned to.  To use a corny US term, its winning peoples "Hearts and minds" back to we are all one country, in it together - that's going to be so difficult cos the Tories were fucking excellent at making a mockery of "we are all in this together" by deliberately gaslighting using the term during May's / Camerons time. I never noticed this Tory trait until Boris came in, as he was so shit at it that everything was obvious - so 1 thing to thank him for.

I really hope there's a long game, and that we can bring back some solidarity and team spirit to the country to reunite us, and then start collectively working on restoring public services.

Most major cities, Newcastle in particular, absolutely STINK of piss on a weekend evening - there's not a single public toilet in the entire city centre anymore. We are giving away money in tax cuts to the tune of tens of billions, when it costs less than 0.7bn a year to fund our libraries, after a 60% cut over 10 years. I could go on...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Renton said:

This extreme liberatarianism she (Truss) is pushing is something else like. We're not the US, it won't work here. 

Edit: I've just let it sink in COffey is the health secretary. :lol:

Can you imagine if we had had these nutters two years ago? They actually make Johnson look good. 

Dangerous in different ways: Johnson’s policy making wasn’t anywhere near as dangerous. The problem was how mendacious he was - he pretty much normalised deceit in frontline  politics. Ministers no longer need to resign for things that would previously end careers. He was as damaging to our democracy as Trump was in the US. The problem with this lot is the damage they’re doing to the economy  

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 4