Politics

Christmas Tree

On 30/11/2022 at 15:10, Craig said:

Lindsay Hoyle losing his shit over the government repeatedly handing copies of statements to the opposition late. 

Poor ministerial practice on statements is rife! Now we're seeing the house suspended. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Food pantries sound absolutely delightful. I’d love to visit one.

A caller to LBC lifted the lid on this grubby little game this morning…an independent Portsmouth councillor called in to say in the most recent local election sone of the Tory held wards in her constituency went from Tory to Liberal or independent…she’s losing support in her constituency. Now have a guess which wards are getting these  “pantries”? …. one of them is Paulsgrove, a giant housing estate that already has two food banks…so she’s doing a lap of honour, getting her book promoted for free and trying to shore up her vote locally whilst looking all benevolent and non Tory, the cynical fuckin cow :glare:

• Like 4

If I told my 15 year old self in 1992 that in 30 years time the Tories would be building a coal mine and Labour opposed it, i'd never have believed it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/dec/10/liz-truss-and-kwasi-kwarteng-got-carried-away-writing-mini-budget

Truss thinking about starting an economic think-tank ffs. :lol:

Kwarteng saying they "failed to consider the political and economic consequences" of the mini-budget. What type of consequences did they have their eye on? 

These two need to just shut up and fuck off.

1 hour ago, communitylinks13 said:

The cost reduction aspect of outsourcing has never been the only concern. Businesses are leaving because they have no need to do so. I mentioned boosting the internet to 1GB of speed. Businesses would swarm to the new media sector as a result.

Did you really? 

On 04/11/2022 at 09:49, Renton said:

There is no way of guranteeing the wind and/or sunlight over the UK, especially in winter. Get a blocking anticyclone in winter (which are quite common), you get freezing temperatures with no wind which can last days or even weeks. I don't think I've ever heard anyone seriously suggest we don't need to guarantee a baseload, and for me nuclear is by far the preferred choice for that. 

This is where we are at the moment. Freezing temperatures, no wind. 12% of our energy coming from interconnectors, only 4% from wind, meaning we are essentially dependent on France and Norway. Its why we can't rely on wind power to the extent some think we can. When our limited gas reserves are depleted further, we may see black outs if this weather continues.

Meanwhile have a look at today's spot price for electricity. We are paying 5 times more than any other country in Europe from what I can see.

Screenshot_20221212_193739_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9ce507eaf9651bc564d51db8bc8ad6d0.jpg

14 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Missed this yesterday. Right wing version of Momentum or something. 

You have to love the way they continue to find ways to tear their party apart. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

You have to love the way they continue to find ways to tear their party apart. 

There is no such thing as party. There are individual men and women and family*

*Loyalty to family is entirely optional 

• Like 3

Look at this latest forecast.

image.png.4c767d7840e55bfaae34fb9f5f0a73ba.png

Results of this modelling suggest Sunak himself would be unseated. As much as I fucking hate the tories, and this owuld be hilarious for the shits and giggles, I am not sure it is good for democracy and as the tory party is now facing a real existential threat, I am scared what they will try next. Because moderation does not seem to be their MO, even under Sunak, all we get is more extremism.

image.png.40d34f8e5a830681bcbedba2fd849055.png