Politics

Christmas Tree

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I find it staggering this is only now the case. Just walking through town before, and fuck me it's like a set from the Last of Us. All the restaurants, cafes, shops, are deserted. Everything looks so run down. Shuttered retail space everywhere. Northumberland street, once the second busiest retail street in England after Oxford street,  is a fucking dive. Cracked paving everywhere, interspersed with bare tarmac where they couldn't afford to replace it. Beggars and tramps on every corner. At my local Co-op in Tynemouth yesterday there's this homeless person who was drinking vodka neat out a bottle in fornt of the school kids, at 8.30 in the morning (and no, it wasnt me!).

I mean, when I think back to the New Labour years, did I just imagine things were so much better? The town was busy, thriving, people had money to spend? Not saying it was perfect but my God, I reckon if you could do a side by side comparison it would be striking. And all the time we're paying more and more taxes for worse and worse services. And only NOW are people waking up to the fact that maybe, just maybe, the tories are fucking SHITE at running the economy. 

going off alex jones GIF

• Like 5

And, relating to the small boats, Rwanda issue etc....

image.png.52390acdfd74c8c4db329c56f2b32b0a.png

So this shit works. Quite why, somebody living in a shithole like land locked Stoke on Trent blames their circumstances on small boat asylum seekers is quite something. But the tories will continue to swhip up wedge issues and hatgred while the country goes down the pan. There are far too many stupid people. And it is blatently obvious to me that if 1930s Germany had happened here, the outcome would have been the same. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Renton said:

So this shit works. Quite why, somebody living in a shithole like land locked Stoke on Trent blames their circumstances on small boat asylum seekers is quite something. But the tories will continue to swhip up wedge issues and hatgred while the country goes down the pan. There are far too many stupid people. And it is blatently obvious to me that if 1930s Germany had happened here, the outcome would have been the same. 

They don’t have cherry tomatoes? Let them eat immigrants instead.

14 hours ago, Renton said:

There’s a certain demographic, let’s call them - just about every white person over the age of 45 who still buys a newspaper. They all read the Daily Mail, they all believe it and they all vote. Slight exaggeration but you probably get my point 

• Like 2

Before it all came out I was suggesting this about the BBC before the last general election and I think most people on here were largely sceptical about the institutional bias. But the fucking scale of it is, well, off the fucking scale. If you look at something like Brexit, it’s still the biggest brake in a faltering economy and it still barely gets a mention. That’s if it gets a mention at all. In relation to everything from supermarket supply chain issues, to the NHS labour shortage and the massive knock on effects for overall productivity, exporters, manufacturers, etc., etc. The BBC have played a massive role in this gaslighting of the entire population and are a major reason why even a Labour Party looking at a potential 300 seat + majority are scared to even mention the huge problems being outside the Single Market is causing. 

• Like 4

Can someone explain to me how extending free childcare to 1 & 2 year olds will get people back into work?

Nurseries are currently at capacity. All the 1 & 2 year olds attending nursery have parents who are already in work. Yes, it's a bonus that they don't have to pay anymore, but it doesn't help the parents who gave up work as they couldn't afford childcare bills? 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Can someone explain to me how extending free childcare to 1 & 2 year olds will get people back into work?

Nurseries are currently at capacity. All the 1 & 2 year olds attending nursery have parents who are already in work. Yes, it's a bonus that they don't have to pay anymore, but it doesn't help the parents who gave up work as they couldn't afford childcare bills? 

It’s the same as how tinkering with tax rules is going to stop GPs / doctors from taking early retirement. I.e. they’ve not currently doing it because they’re going to be a bit better off in the long run. They’re doing it because they can afford to and they’ve had enough. The changes won’t alter that. 
Re: your specific point, there’s a labour shortage and close to full employment. Any small changes aren’t going to impact the root causes 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think it goes hand in hand with the plan to allow one worker for every five children rather than every four. That move should (in theory) boost capacity by 25%.

However, the theory doesn't necessarily take into account how much effort is needed to look after a one year old compared to a four year old.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Isegrim said:

That fucking tory tweet with Braverman's prologue is a fucking disgrace. It's overty fascist in my opinion, and combined with the blatant lying about Labour we have come to expect from this government. Sir Michael Take's mockery of it doesn't cheer me up, because most people won't see it and anyway satire is dead, he could well be a real tory back bencher like Gullis. It really shouldn't be legal for the home secretrary to do this, and yet they have the fucking brass neck to try and censor Gary Lineker. 

I think I officially detest Braverman the most of any in that rancid party, which is some stiff competition. From the day she came on the scene, she just struck me as evil incarnate. I had believed she was too stupid to advance to the upper positions of power but Johnson has normalised incompetence and here we are. Starting to despair we can ever get out of this now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

It’s the same as how tinkering with tax rules is going to stop GPs / doctors from taking early retirement. I.e. they’ve not currently doing it because they’re going to be a bit better off in the long run. They’re doing it because they can afford to and they’ve had enough. The changes won’t alter that. 
Re: your specific point, there’s a labour shortage and close to full employment. Any small changes aren’t going to impact the root causes 

The tories are only doing this to give them the soundbites to cut off Philipson's policies imo. It'll help them in some interviews or debates but do fuck all to stop the rot. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gemmill said:

I can start a match thread for the next general election, Rents, if you want to get a Labour win locked in now? Do not despair. 

Cheers, the day the date is announced, you fill your boots Gemmill. 👍

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

This man never disappoints. A+, no notes.

He’s only 32 :lol: 

An ex teacher, honestly if you were confronted by this fuckin strap on at a parents evening you’d put a safeguarding request in . UK & US both have cunts like this as lawmakers now. It beggars belief..  

• Like 5