Politics

Christmas Tree

37 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Why do I bother with PMQ's. Starmer is fucking hopeless

I don't understand why anyone watches PMQs. It's just theatre.

• Like 1

Well I'm a luvvie at heart and love the teatre and the Panto. Thinking about joining Dame training school actually. But I missed PMQ today. Was Starmer poor?  Reading the Guardian he came up with:

The crisis in criminal justice is just a snapshot of public services collapsing under his watch. People can see it wherever they look. Our roads, our trains, the NHS, the asylum system, policing, mental health provision – the Tories have broken them all and all they have got left is excuses and blame.

I think this is spot on, it resonates, and is the simple line he needs to take over the coming year. Economists also say people will feel at their most squeezed over the next 12 months. I think also with the collapse of the SNP Labpour will win a landslide. My criticism of Starmer is not using this opportunty to effect real change. Instead he's let his party go as low as the scum they're opposing (okay, maybe not that low), a race to the bottom. 

• Like 1

Labour now apparently targeting benefit fraud in their continued attempts to out-Tory the Tories.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/20/labour-warpath-targeting-benefit-claimants-disabled-starmer

I mean what are we expecting here in the end, really? That Labour get into power and then flip into being some much improved version of what they're currently coming across as? I think they're going to come in and be exactly what is being suggested here - Tory lite. Is this how Blairism was packaged? Is this the third way? It looks small, cynical and devoid of vision. It fills me with even more hopelessness than the Tories do tbh - if this is the best that the party we all want to be in power can come up with, then what is honestly the point anymore?

Brexit destroyed this country, it destroyed the left, and Labour has, in my view, totally failed us. I don't even hate Starmer or what the party has become, I just don't care anymore. It's a dull ache, it's normalised. This disappointment about the weakness of our leaders is just a shrug of the shoulders. "Nothing we can do, suck it up and get on with it". Completely defeated. Maybe it's just me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you look at what Jonathan Ashworth actually said he was attacking the Tory government because the DWP has paid out £8.5bn due to errors made and fraud and said that that money could have been used to make more cost of living payments to those on low incomes. It wasn’t demonising claimants but some won’t let get in the way of writing an angry article.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If you look at what Jonathan Ashworth actually said he was attacking the Tory government because the DWP has paid out £8.5bn due to errors made and fraud and said that that money could have been used to make more cost of living payments to those on low incomes. It wasn’t demonising claimants but some won’t let get in the way of writing an angry article.

TL:DR

anger GIF

😉 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It's bringing benefit fraud to the top of the list of targets, and very intentionally doing so. There are plenty of other targets they could have gone after, I am quite sure.

As I said though, it's beyond me to care at this point. It is what it is.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ewerk said:

100% this. The Guardian is a fucking joke imo. 

Sounds like in the build up to the GE Labour want to stop the tories being able to chuck “POLITICS OF ENVY” around…in some ways a good idea, in other ways not making the rich pay their fuckin fair share of tax so we can have a properly funded and rewarded NHS for instance is frankly vomit inducing. But here we are…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Sounds like in the build up to the GE Labour want to stop the tories being able to chuck “POLITICS OF ENVY” around…in some ways a good idea, in other ways not making the rich pay their fuckin fair share of tax so we can have a properly funded and rewarded NHS for instance is frankly vomit inducing. But here we are…

On the other hand maybe Burgon didn't get the memo.....

• Jaysus... 1

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I did think this delay was all about Sunak putting pressure on his to walk rather than be sacked.

Yeah, he's been pushed. He'll be back as a minister if not in the cabinet before the next GE anyway. That's how these lot operate. 

• Like 1

Just now, Renton said:

Yeah, he's been pushed. He'll be back as a minister if not in the cabinet before the next GE anyway. That's how these lot operate. 

I would imagine that’s literally been promised in return for his resignation 

• Like 4